South Korean Raouls?

• 16 replies

piglet

• Piglet's House
South Korean Raouls?
« on: May 25, 2016, 02:30:11 AM »
Hey all, it's me I am back.
Did you miss me?
Anyhoo I have a potential good looking job offer in South Korea and I was wondering if there is a Raouls like forum for SK as the greasy spoon is of course less than useless, and I can't find much in the way of useful forums (fora?)
Much love from the Holy Land..
For people who like peace and quiet - a phoneless cord

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
Re: South Korean Raouls?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2016, 01:25:57 PM »
PIGLET!!!!! akakakakak akakakakak akakakakak

Forget SK and get yourself back to the Big Silly.
I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2016, 02:03:41 PM »
« Last Edit: September 13, 2016, 04:49:32 AM by Isidnar »

cruisemonkey

• You could be next.
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2016, 04:19:50 PM »
What's the job?

I spent six years in the Korean public school system. The best thing I ever did was move to China.

Korean food:  aaaaaaaaaa
The Koreans once gave me five minutes notice - I didn't know what to do with the extra time.

piglet

• Piglet's House
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2016, 09:33:15 PM »
Hey Cruise Monkey job is 20 hours max at Woosong Uni in Daejeon for 3.7 million plus air ticket plus end of contract bonus. I am very very seriously considering. @EL problem with China is I am now less a gall bladder plus 3 additional minor ops since I left, so a bit allergic to Chinese hospitals. It may well be my final sortie abroad for a long teaching job so .. pastures new. I of course miss the Big Silly very much but hey the world is so big,right? ANd we now have direct flights by Hainan Airlines to Tel Aviv for a ridiculous $850 so we will come and visit soon.. akakakakak

cruisemonkey

• You could be next.
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2016, 01:39:23 AM »
Hey Cruise Monkey job is 20 hours max at Woosong Uni in Daejeon for 3.7 million plus air ticket plus end of contract bonus.

That sounds good... if it's not a unigwon and you get four months of paid holidays.
The Koreans once gave me five minutes notice - I didn't know what to do with the extra time.

piglet

• Piglet's House
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2016, 09:27:10 AM »
Not a Uniwon -either teaching Uni students or in the College (housewives and other adults but not kids) but not both. That's pretty much all I know so far.They already called one of my referees though

Tree

• This personal text is false.
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2016, 04:03:28 PM »
I worked in Korea for years, married one too. Does that 3.7 include housing? Is the housing on campus [paid or not]? Do you get regular Uni vacations or will you work "summer programs"?

Daejeon is nice. You can hop on the KTX to Seoul from there if you get antsy.
The greatest and most important problems of life are all in a certain sense insoluble. They can never be solved, but only outgrown.
- Jung

piglet

• Piglet's House
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2016, 05:31:01 AM »
Hey Tree, the pay is 3.2 plus stipend as they don't have married housing on campus.Vacation is regular no summer camp.
"2) For married teachers and teachers with families - Woosong does not provide a partially-furnished apartment but a housing stipend* of 500,000 Won per month is offered. In the case that two teachers are married to each other and working for Woosong as a couple two housing stipends* of 400,000 Won are offered to the couple.
The housing stipend does not include key money and Woosong will not provide key money, advancements, or loans to its employees.
Vacation - 6 weeks paid
Medical / Dental: National Health Insurance plan approximately 3.5% of your salary per month
Private Pension Fund approximately 7% of your salary per month
Mentoring program for those new to Korea, or Woosong
Free Korean language classes"
Have not actually seen a contract yet but that was what the ad said. I have asked around on the greasy spoon and been assured that the place is pretty ok and that the high turnover is because they have a huge number of teachers there. Will wait on the contract...

Tree

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2016, 03:25:22 PM »
I see, I paid 500 for a one bedroom [70 m3 approx] apt in the suburbs of Seoul a few years back. I can't comment about what's going on in Daejeon now, should be cheaper except that Sejeong is nearby and they are grooming that into becoming the new political capital [MIL is snapping up properties around there].

However, that "key money" is generally not a small amount. Expect 3 months rent, up to 12 months rent, as an upfront deposit. This is generally because Korea hasn't a widespread credit check system so they take a whack of cash up front to protect themselves.
The greatest and most important problems of life are all in a certain sense insoluble. They can never be solved, but only outgrown.
- Jung

piglet

• Piglet's House
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2016, 11:17:47 PM »
Meanwhile they are pissing me off with their paperwork demands. Translate this and notarize and apostille that. They now say they need CRC apostilled which cannot do from Israel. The police here send the criminal thingy directly to the body requesting it and don't hand it over to the person, so I cannot apostille it .. Not sure my nerves can hold it up.

Tree

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2016, 07:47:29 PM »
Sounds about right. I had never heard of an apostille until I started dealing with the Koreans.
- Jung

« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2016, 01:52:30 PM »
What's the job?

I spent six years in the Korean public school system. The best thing I ever did was move to China.

Korean food:  aaaaaaaaaa

If that is strictly Korean school cafeteria food I would tend to agree. Chinese school cafeteria food is much better than EPIK school foods.
I returned to Korean public schools after being in China because Internet in China is a nightmare.

cruisemonkey

• You could be next.
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2016, 01:00:27 PM »
... Internet in China is a nightmare.

Not for me. You just need the right combination of ISP/VPN. I have no problems accessing/watching anything from anywhere in the world.

« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2016, 07:10:32 PM »
 China is a dumping ground for all the world bad technology.  Sometimes something that is simple in Korea like printing a worksheet becomes a major ordeal in China.
In China if there is a problem with technology the serfs are expected to work around it.