• Home
  • Search
    •  
  • Login
    • Username: Password:

Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Posting letters from China to [international address]  (Read 798 times)

Calach Pfeffer

• Barfly
Posting letters from China to [international address]
« on: April 05, 2016, 10:40:55 AM »
For the first time in a long while, I have to send a paper letter. A service needs an "authentic signature" on one of their forms, so....

Can local post offices handle letters with international addresses? Are there special windows and/or terminology? I don't expect it'll cost much but what is the cost?

The last time I wanted to post simple 3-page letter, the foreign affairs office said I had to go to the city center. I was shocked and amazed. How does an entire university not have its own post office? But apparently it doesn't.

» now with New and Endlessly Improving CV 4U  ٩( ᐛ )و

cruisemonkey

• Barfly
  • You could be next.
Re: Posting letters from China to [international address]
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2016, 11:52:14 AM »
There is a small, China Post 'branch office' on the basement floor of my uni faculty apartment building. I've mailed several letters to Canada. They required nothing special (except they insist the return address be in the upper left corner of the envelope). The cost is determined by weight. For 'regular mail', I think is was 5 kwai last time I sent a two-page letter.
The Koreans once gave me five minutes notice - I didn't know what to do with the extra time.

Calach Pfeffer

• Barfly
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2016, 12:08:29 PM »
They required nothing special (except they insist the return address be in the upper left corner of the envelope).

aoaoaoaoao in english, pinyin or characters?

cruisemonkey

• Barfly
  • You could be next.
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2016, 12:14:52 PM »
I put it in English, but it couldn't hurt to have it in Chinese characters as well. That goes for anything to do with China Post - use both languages if possible.
The Koreans once gave me five minutes notice - I didn't know what to do with the extra time.

Calach Pfeffer

• Barfly
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2016, 12:35:31 AM »
Do we know what the red squares are for?

I have purchased envelopes. Upon each, in the top left corner, is a row of six red squares. Since China has six-digit postcodes, I'm guessing the squares are for postcode. But... since it's the top left corner...  sender's or receiver's?

cruisemonkey

• Barfly
  • You could be next.
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2016, 08:49:41 AM »
I print out my return address and tape/paste it over the squares.

Calach Pfeffer

• Barfly
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2016, 04:07:14 AM »
Posted. Like a boss.

I printed address labels, and affixed them with glue, then taped over them for good measure, which is like a secretary, but then I went to the tiny China Post office nearby. I said hi. Something rudimentary was demanded of me. I said I don't know what you're saying, post my damn letter. This went back and forth a few times. Eventually I was asked for 8 yuan. Then, by the way she tossed my letter aside on her desk, I took it that in the fullness of time, my letter would one day arrive in Australia.

Mission Accomplished.