Well, I'm here.

• 35 replies

El Macho

• 东北人都是活雷锋
Re: Well, I'm here.
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2016, 03:41:08 PM »
Pretty much any HEPA air filter (mistyped that as HELP the first time…a very telling slip of the fingers) will keep you from waking up with a cough. I had a Midea brand one that did pretty well. Also spend 100 RMB or so on air cleaning plants…they'll spruce up the desolate apartment, if nothing else.

Is the water company the same one that supplies the school? My last school and my wife's last school were both very clear on the standards for water and food for the students, which was nice.

I suggest sitting in a park in the evenings to watch folks come out for after-dinner walks. That always cheered me up. I wound up learning a bit of Chinese chess so I could watch and appreciate the games going on on the streets, too.

Nolefan

• Lord of Avalon
  • 八九不离十
    • Catania Vibe
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2016, 04:48:16 PM »
breathe.. take a few breaths... and sort things out one at a time!

- TV: get a iptv box from huawei or letv. You'll have more stations than you know what to do with. Even the crummiest internet connection in China can handle streaming local channels.
- Air: Xiami air purifier or smartair. Both work extremely well.

alors régressons fatalement, eternellement. Des débutants, avec la peur comme exutoire à l'ignorance et Alzheimer en prof d'histoire de nos enfances!
- Random food, music and geek tales from the Catania, Sicily: http://ctvibe.com

« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2016, 04:37:59 PM »
I should get some t-shirts printed in chinese that say: English lessons available....also, basic common decency and how not to look like an inbred moron in public.

« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2016, 06:54:43 PM »
Why would you leave Laos and your family in the first place if it's so wonderful there?

rattie

« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2016, 01:40:50 AM »
A.J.R.  a timely and poignant question.
R

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2016, 09:28:20 AM »
You want to go out for a meal, you want have a beer, you want to know where the best bread shop is... sure and I'll come to you and suggest it, but I'm not here to help you with every fucking problem you have, call the the FAO, and I'm not interested in listening to how this place sucks and how you can't wait to get the hell out of here and how Chinese do or don't do whatever. You are going to be here for a year or two. I'm here for almost a decade and a half.

I have my friends, my family, my schedule, my bubble. Maybe you can be a part of it but you don't get some sort of free pass in just because you are a foreigner.

« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2016, 03:27:54 PM »
My goodness Stil, that Scottish whiskey is making you cranky.   bibibibibi bibibibibi

I sure hope the Japanese stuff gets back in stock soon   akakakakak agagagagag agagagagag
Be kind to dragons for thou are crunchy when roasted and taste good with brie.

« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2016, 10:46:47 PM »
Why would you leave Laos and your family in the first place if it's so wonderful there?

I came here for one year at the behest of a friend. The friendship is over. In my opinion, Laos has this place beat in every way imaginable. I'll be going home soon.

You are going to be here for a year or two.

ahahahahah ahahahahah ahahahahah ahahahahah ahahahahah ahahahahah ahahahahah ahahahahah
This is my candidate for the funniest line of 2016, despite the still early stages of the year.

« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2016, 03:51:02 AM »

I came here for one year at the behest of a friend. The friendship is over. In my opinion, Laos has this place beat in every way imaginable. I'll be going home soon.

Some friendship that turned out to be!

Just one more thing I'm struggling with. How is the tap water drinkable in one of the poorest nations on earth?

I have visited Laos, and it's nice, but drinking the tap water... really?
 ahahahahah ahahahahah ahahahahah ahahahahah ahahahahah ahahahahah ahahahahah ahahahahah
This is my candidate for the funniest line of 2016, despite the still early stages of the year.

old34

« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2016, 04:09:22 AM »

Here's your hat; there's the door; what's your hurry?

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad. - B. O'Driscoll.
TIC is knowing that, in China, your fruit salad WILL come with cherry tomatoes AND all slathered in mayo. - old34.

« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2016, 02:43:08 AM »

Some friendship that turned out to be!

Just one more thing I'm struggling with. How is the tap water drinkable in one of the poorest nations on earth?

I have visited Laos, and it's nice, but drinking the tap water... really?

[/quote]

Yes, the tap water in my house is 100% clean and drinkable. The Japanese built a large water treatment plat 4 km from my house. It has 2 main pipes coming out of it. One of which is being drawn off of immediately and the 2nd starts to get drawn off of at the village just last ours.

My wife knew the water guys and when we built our house they hooked us up to the 2nd pipe. We are the first house to draw off of it.

I took a sample of our tap water to a friend who is a scientist in Laos. He ran it through his machines and it came back perfectly clean. Cleaner in fact, than bottled water, which has allowed tolerances for various impurities.

Thank you Japan!

« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2016, 03:02:46 AM »

Thanks for you fantastically ignorant response scumbag.

I'm in no hurry. 7 weeks of the 18 week term are finished. I have 14 classes per week, 4 days per week - Fridays off. For 2 of the remaining weeks I have only 12 classes - Friday - Monday off.

For 3 of the remaining weeks I have 2 classes - Tuesday though Sunday off. Two classes Monday morning - finished at noon. 

The final 2 weeks are set aside for exams.

I have a total of 34 classes to teach until the end of the term, June 30th.

I can hang in this festering dungheap until then.

You, on the other hand, can continue to live in this polluted, filthy, garbage dump forever.

To quote my ex-friend, "I don't care."

China has been an experiment that did not work. I could not have envisioned the scenario which transpired. But, it did, so all I can say is good-bye and good luck to those who like it here. I'll go back home where the air is breathable, the water is drinkable and the view is nice.

I tried and it didn't work. That's life. It's been swell but the swelling's gone down.

« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2016, 06:16:38 AM »

I'm in no hurry. 7 weeks of the 18 week term are finished. I have 14 classes per week, 4 days per week - Fridays off. For 2 of the remaining weeks I have only 12 classes - Friday - Monday off.

For 3 of the remaining weeks I have 2 classes - Tuesday though Sunday off. Two classes Monday morning - finished at noon. 

The final 2 weeks are set aside for exams.

I can hang in this festering dungheap until then.

You, on the other hand, can continue to live in this polluted, filthy, garbage dump forever.

To quote my ex-friend, "I don't care."

China has been an experiment that did not work. I could not have envisioned the scenario which transpired. But, it did, so all I can say is good-bye and good luck to those who like it here. I'll go back home where the air is breathable, the water is drinkable and the view is nice.

I tried and it didn't work. That's life. It's been swell but the swelling's gone down.

I personally think Laos is a dump. As I say, I've been there, and it isn't that impressive at all compared to other countries in the region (save the natural beauty, which China has more of).

Still, you obviously love the place, and your family, because you left it all behind to make 5000 per month at a Chinese university in the arse end of nowhere... a "filthy, polluted garbage dump" no less! mmmmmmmmmm

Good luck to you too. I have a feeling you probably aren't happy in any place you land, and you no doubt love a good moan about each one. That'll be why your family seem to be glad to get rid of your whining ass for a while, and why you change countries more often than your average long haul passenger jet.

old34

« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2016, 07:06:55 AM »

That's Mr. Scumbag to you sir. And oops you dropped your hat. Here it is again on your way out.

34 classes left to teach? 34? That's a good number. Coincidence? Or maybe things will get better for you. Quit trashing those of us who have managed to find a soft spot teaching in China.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad. - B. O'Driscoll.
TIC is knowing that, in China, your fruit salad WILL come with cherry tomatoes AND all slathered in mayo. - old34.

AMonk

« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2016, 12:08:07 PM »
GENTLEMEN ... and I use the term advisedly ... you are becoming waaayyy too belligerent and your remarks are far too personal in nature.  Please refrain from continuing in this vein.  It is definitely NOT in the "spirit of the Saloon" kkkkkkkkkk

Phillis is entitled to his opinion and feelings.  So are the rest of you.  Just stop bashing him.  China is not everyone's cup of tea, you know.

Moderation....in most things...