Spreadsheets for record-keeping and calculating final scores?

• 24 replies
Re: Spreadsheets for record-keeping and calculating final scores?
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2016, 04:13:35 AM »
Simpler question: how do you print the spreadsheet?

The spreadsheet I've ended up with is full of working columns and side tables and all sorts of crap that gets the right end result but has no business being shown on a grades sheet. I'd like to export the relevant parts to some nicely formatted Word document, preferably as something that looks like a class list with student numbers and properly identified lists of scores. And I'd like it to be less work than just typing up the thing directly. What do you do?
when ur a roamin', do as the settled do o_0

old34

« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2016, 03:31:59 PM »
Simpler question: how do you print the spreadsheet?

The spreadsheet I've ended up with is full of working columns and side tables and all sorts of crap that gets the right end result but has no business being shown on a grades sheet. I'd like to export the relevant parts to some nicely formatted Word document, preferably as something that looks like a class list with student numbers and properly identified lists of scores. And I'd like it to be less work than just typing up the thing directly. What do you do?

Not sure how it works in Excel as I use OSX Numbers, but Hide the Columns/Rows you don't want printed, then hit the Print button.
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad. - B. O'Driscoll.
TIC is knowing that, in China, your fruit salad WILL come with cherry tomatoes AND all slathered in mayo. - old34.

« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2016, 04:29:49 PM »
 bfbfbfbfbf that worked. (I would like Hide better if I knew how to view all hidden parts - don't want the inner workings getting away from me.)

It does raise the question though of just how ugly these things have to be. There doesn't seem to be much formatting available in Excel. I shall experiment more.

old34

« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2016, 06:17:00 PM »
bfbfbfbfbf that worked. (I would like Hide better if I knew how to view all hidden parts - don't want the inner workings getting away from me.)

In Numbers, right-click on the Spreadsheet and choose Unhide All Columns. Might be the sae in Excel.
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad. - B. O'Driscoll.
TIC is knowing that, in China, your fruit salad WILL come with cherry tomatoes AND all slathered in mayo. - old34.

« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2016, 04:06:11 PM »
I can see this being a very challenging thing for me if the uni I work at requires spreadsheets and stuff with a bunch of the a's and b's and ='s and -'s, if they do not have one ready to use. Just fill in the grades etc.

I am a tech idiot. Even basic Excel seemed very difficult to me and I took an online course and didn't do well.

Is there one very easy to use spread sheet that someone is willing to attach here that even I could figure bout. I'll pay for all the beer!

:alcoholic:

« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2016, 04:23:24 PM »
Your university will NOT require anything like this. The most you'll likely be asked for is a final score out of 100, calculated as 30% participation/attendance, 70% final exam. This spreadsheet stuff is for my own entertainment and eventual promotion into heaven.

« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2016, 05:27:16 PM »
Your university will NOT require anything like this. The most you'll likely be asked for is a final score out of 100, calculated as 30% participation/attendance, 70% final exam. This spreadsheet stuff is for my own entertainment and eventual promotion into heaven.

Say hi to God for me because it's highly likely we'll never meet.

psd4fan

• 在哈尔滨黑龙江中国
    • WillExcel TESOL
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2016, 08:23:32 PM »
And they'll change the scores to what they are "supposed " to be anyway if not high enough.

« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2016, 11:56:20 PM »
And they'll change the scores to what they are "supposed " to be anyway if not high enough.

yeah that's what I figured. It's a good thing I don't give a shit anymore.

cruisemonkey

• You could be next.
« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2016, 10:36:35 AM »
Don't worry Phillis. The uni website pages you will enter marks on are 'auto spreadsheets' (though of course, it's all in Chinese). You set the percentage of the final grade in each of four categories/columns: 1 Attendance/Class Participation, 2 Laboratory, 3 Midterm Exam, 4 Final Exam.

You won't be teaching any courses with lab sections, and unless you're masochistic and incredibly stupid, you won't be giving midterm exams... so, you'll enter two marks for each student, hit the 'Save' button and the computer will calculate the Final Grade.

I'll explain the grading system to you... and what 'failure' with marks from: 0-29% and from 30-59% mean. 60% is minimum 'pass'. If you fail a student, they are punished by delaying their 'pass'... the real duds, until 'gifts' are given by their fathers to the administration - just before they graduate.  ahahahahah
The Koreans once gave me five minutes notice - I didn't know what to do with the extra time.