Ad blockers

• 7 replies
Ad blockers
« on: October 03, 2015, 03:13:15 PM »
Do you block ads? Hell yes, I block ads. I've had AdAway on Android and Adblock on Windows since forever. Only now, iOS9 has ad blocking too.

Ad-blocking in iOS 9 saves money, but starves publishers

And for a few weeks these crybaby reports have been showing up in the news, suggesting that ad blocking is post-ironic, or hipster, or just plain mean, because ad money pays for content and blocked ads signals the end times for web browsing are upon us.

Blocking ads cleans up your web feeds, speeds up load times, and save data charges. Blocking ads also contributes to the decline of whatever it was Apple users used to buy because of ads (probably just the ads themselves, purchased in your stead by the web site creators).

So, do you? Do you block ads? Are you that opposed to capitalism? Why don't you go live in Russia.
when ur a roamin', do as the settled do o_0

BrandeX

Re: Ad blockers
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2015, 06:19:34 PM »
Find a better way to monetize. I've used an adblocker since they were first a thing. I have also spent thousands of dollars over the years online. None of that was the result of advertising as I literally have not seen ads for more than a decade.

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2015, 06:43:57 PM »
Experts agree Apple users are better educated, richer, and spend more money than Android users.

iOS users spend more money online than Android users; Study reveals

But now they have ad blockers.

Does Cupertino want to bring on the end times? There was an article a while back suggesting that institutional support for ad blockers really is an assault on the web itself. Companies like Facebook and Apple want the wider, ad-supported web to be condensed to elements they control, a Facebook news feed or an Apple News. Aside from being more in control of their own customers' eyes, they'd also be bleeding Google dry. The sooner the wild, wild web is replaced be a pleasant and effective walled garden, the better?

Are there even other ways to monetise if you can't tie people to your one service?

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2015, 04:48:46 PM »
Dudes!  You mean you haven't been seeing all the cool ads we've been running for expat necessities on the Saloon? bibibibibi

I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2015, 03:44:32 PM »
Pfft. Heard all about those Vacuum Pump Nlargers. They should be illegal.

BrandeX

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2015, 06:26:58 PM »
Dudes!  You mean you haven't been seeing all the cool ads we've been running for expat necessities on the Saloon? bibibibibi

No, and I blocked that black bar at the bottom too.

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2015, 10:58:42 PM »
Oh man.  You guys are living without Keg Coolies (make your next party portable).  You don't have the 2 for 1 coupons on Panda Helper (just add 500 grams of ground panda to make a tasty and nutritious meal).  You probably even missed out on Wok-it Rocket - Chinese food delivered in 30 seconds or it's free.  kkkkkkkkkk
I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com

El Macho

• 东北人都是活雷锋
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2016, 09:41:18 AM »
I've been using Purify on iOS 9 and have been very happy with it. Anyone had a great experience with other ad blockers?