WeChat FAQ

• 21 replies
WeChat FAQ
« on: August 14, 2015, 07:09:31 PM »
Can we start a WeChat Faq? Can someone who actually knows answers provide some?

My first question, and I imagine it's frequently asked, is:

1. WHAT THE? HOW THE? WHO EVEN?! HOW DOES THIS THING WORK?

I have today installed the English language version. First up was ten minutes of steady cursing. I have signed up for WeChat before, I realise now, and this sign up today was an official second signing. WeChat thus insisted I go through some unbanning process. My account had been "protected" due to long disuse. This is fine, of course. But what made it tooth grindingly irritating was the program's insistence on rendering everything from that point on in Chinese....  bibibibibi llllllllll

Somehow I have made it through to the other side of the looking glass. The app is now presenting in English, I have set a password, I am logged in. I am mystified.

2. What is my WeChat ID?

Do I even have one? The app says it is not set.

3. How should I arrange to be discovered by others?

What settings to set? What to avoid? Why even try anymore?
when ur a roamin', do as the settled do o_0

Re: WeChat FAQ
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2015, 07:38:40 PM »
Okay so, WeChat ID is an identification string set by yourself. It can be changed only once. It's used by others to find you. WeChat Name is whatever the hell you want and you can change it whenever you want.

http://www.wechat.com/mobile/en/faq.html

And by the way... recovering a "banned" or long disused account is easy so long as you're not in China.

The rest of the world: https://support.wechat.com/cgi-bin/mmsupport-bin/readtemplate?t=weixin_unlock_self&step=0
China: https://support.weixin.qq.com/cgi-bin/mmsupport-bin/readtemplate?t=page/self_deblock__account&lang=zh_CN

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2015, 07:45:04 PM »
Next question: can you transfer files?

I am unsure of the answer, but I think it's yes, if you use Web Wechat. Whatever the hell that is.

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2015, 08:05:21 PM »
Are there any WeChat ID conventions? Can you be Az0gTehDef1ler or should it be more like an email address string? How srsbzns is the ID? It's attached to your phone number, you can have only one, and change it only once, and you have to be able to tell it to others with a straight face... Is the WeChat social world important enough that you don't want to regret your ID?

BrandeX

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2015, 08:30:31 PM »
Are you intoxicated atm?

Just curious LOL

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2015, 08:51:50 PM »
Just high on paranoia. Apps that I use for me and only me are easy to understand and install. Apps that broadcast every noob mistake I make are less easy to deal with alone. A simple privacy mistake on, say, WeChat, and boom, I am in the metadata forever.

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2015, 01:17:38 AM »
Just make it something you would be happy to tell your boss... It is big enough here that I would play it safe. I have only had it a month, but now understand why people do use it over a couple of other options. It is just a useful tool for me in communicating with people
Sometimes it seems things go by too quickly. We are so busy watching out for what's just ahead of us that we don't take the time to enjoy where we are. (Calvin and Hobbs)

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2015, 04:01:22 PM »
How do you find official accounts?

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2015, 07:11:45 PM »
How do you find official accounts?

There's a search function. Use keywords that interest you to find some accounts to follow. You can also scan QR codes.

If anyone here wants to add me on WeChat, go ahead. My ID is jlarsonwang . If you add me, just tell me your handle here at Raoul's in the space where you write in your name when you add someone. You have to approve anyone who adds you, so having your WeChat ID out in the open is not such a huge deal. Your boss can't spy on your moments if you haven't added him/her -- unlike Facebook. Once you've added people they can share interesting accounts with you, and when other people share articles and such, you can add the source to your feed if you want. WeChat is sort of like twitter, facebook, and whatsapp all rolled into one, along with a wallet function. I find it extremely useful!

psd4fan

• 在哈尔滨黑龙江中国
    • WillExcel TESOL
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2015, 09:20:18 PM »
My ID is 张泷鹤爸爸
 It was something else but had to change it for my little guys kindie parent group.

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2015, 03:43:12 PM »
I've created a Saloon WeChat group, so if you'd like access and don't want to post your ID here, PM me. :D

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2015, 03:46:52 PM »
My ID is 张泷鹤爸爸
 It was something else but had to change it for my little guys kindie parent group.

I think that's your "handle" but not your ID. You can change the handle but not the ID itself. That is, you can change how your name appears to others, but the ID is set once it is set. You are not, as far as I know, searchable by your handle.

« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2015, 07:31:44 PM »
The WeChat Wallet - what is it good for? (Apologies to Edwin Starr)

My WeChat app lists:
Quick Pay
Balance
Bank Card.

And "Powered by Tencent":
Transfer
Mobile Top Up
Wealth
QQ Coins
Utilities
Card Repay
Lucky Money
Go Dutch
Tencent Charity

And "Powered by third party operator":
Order taxi
Rail & Flights
Specials
Movie Tickets
Group Buy

So some of those are self-explanatory as to function, but how effective, safe and/or useful are they?

old34

« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2015, 02:55:24 AM »
The WeChat Wallet - what is it good for? (Apologies to Edwin Starr)

i use it a lot. Most of the cafes and restaurants on and around my campus accept it for payment.

I use the Mobile Top Up function to top up my phone. Saves a trip to the bank, or bio the corner store for those annoying popup cards.

Lucky Money is a lot of fun if you're in a group. I teach a some classes who have groups, and they're often posting Lucky Money messages especially after they've been out doing hot pot after class.

Too, I did have some students send me lucky money on teachers day.

By far the best benefit is the ability to pay the check at a restaurant or cafe that accepts it.  No more running to the ATM before a night out as I can recharge the Wallet from my bank card through the app, and am ready to roll.

And for what it's worth, probably not much, KFC online delivery accepts WeChat payments.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2015, 03:01:53 AM by old34 »
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad. - B. O'Driscoll.
TIC is knowing that, in China, your fruit salad WILL come with cherry tomatoes AND all slathered in mayo. - old34.

psd4fan

• 在哈尔滨黑龙江中国
    • WillExcel TESOL
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2015, 10:10:25 AM »
My ID is 张泷鹤爸爸

I think that's your "handle" but not your ID. You can change the handle but not the ID itself. That is, you can change how your name appears to others, but the ID is set once it is set. You are not, as far as I know, searchable by your handle.
bibibibibi bibibibibi bibibibibi
In that case I am DrewChun
Silly me.