What I'm Reading Now

• 12 replies

old34

What I'm Reading Now
« on: August 05, 2015, 04:26:07 AM »
Donna Tartt's The Goldfinch. Pulitzier Prize-2014. I got her first book Secret History in 1989 or so when it came out-and loved it. hadn't heard much about her since then, until recently. Went on JD.com yesterday and found her most recent book there.Ordered it and it was delivered to my door at 5:00 pm just in time for dinner at the local cafe. Spent dinner time, and more, getting immersed in the story,eating dinner, lingering over coffee after,, reading more, keeping the Macbook and iPad and iPhone off, and just enjoying a good read (so far) on paper pages. Highly recommended if you like so-called "literary fiction" or need a break from your devices and OSes.
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad. - B. O'Driscoll.
TIC is knowing that, in China, your fruit salad WILL come with cherry tomatoes AND all slathered in mayo. - old34.

El Macho

• 东北人都是活雷锋
Re: What I'm Reading Now
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2015, 06:44:24 PM »
I liked Goldfinch for the writing, but think it lost its way somewhere in the middle (when the boys are in Vegas). Liked the writing enough that I want to read another book by Tartt.

I'm reading Murakami's latest, a rerelease of his first two novel(la)s, which have been freshly translated. Wasn't expecting much from them, but have very much liked what I've read of the first.

old34

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2016, 03:01:47 AM »
China’s Economy: What Everyone Needs To Know – By Arthur Kroeber

Read the review here:http://www.forbes.com/sites/douglasbulloch/2016/04/30/chinas-economy-what-everyone-needs-to-know-by-arthur-kroeber/#93144505d3f1

Sounded promising enough to seek it out. Found it on iBooks for $10.99 and decided to give it a shot this morning. I'm already through the first 4 chapters and he does a yeoman's job of breaking down the politics and economy of China into digestible nuggets. His focus is on recent years since The Opening by Deng but he delves into the psst and post Deng years in detail, including the 18 years I've already been here. Everything he writes about that time rings true to me. I've lived through it.

If you're a newbie coming to China, read this book to understand how China got to where it is today (good/bad) and why. This is the best of the many books I've seen about "China's Rise".
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad. - B. O'Driscoll.
TIC is knowing that, in China, your fruit salad WILL come with cherry tomatoes AND all slathered in mayo. - old34.

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2016, 03:54:36 AM »
I'm reading "Who moved My Cheese".  A short, slickly done comic style book with two mice as the main characters. It was designed and used as a tool in corporate downsizing to convince workers that the loss of their jobs to offshoring, mismanagement, etc. was just naturally occurring and any suffering by the workers was due to their inability to accept such realities.

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2016, 01:36:10 PM »
I am reading "Bats of the Republic" which is one the oddest and most artistically crafted books I have ever read. I highly recommend it.
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

"It's all oojah cum spiffy". Bertie Wooster.
"The stars are God's daisy chain" Madeleine Bassett.

El Macho

• 东北人都是活雷锋
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2016, 09:25:10 AM »
I'm reading The Information: A History, A Theory, A Flood. Great book about how humans have struggled to grasp what "information" is.

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2016, 11:26:53 AM »
Hello folks,
I am a newbie
I anticipate coming over in August.. I have several interviews lined up to teach math....

anyway
I am reading The Sympathizer by Viet Thanh Nguyen
one chapter in and can't put it down (but have to for work).

piglet

• Piglet's House
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2016, 08:29:05 AM »
I LOVED The Goldfinch and I am now reading Master Georgie by Beryl Bainbridge Victorian English historical novel. After that I may or may not read Son of Hamas. Really loved the first fifteen lives of Harry August.
For people who like peace and quiet - a phoneless cord

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2016, 08:21:58 AM »
Working through this right now:

Based on the cover and title I was expecting it to be fairly hokey but actually it is FULL of information/history. Kinda jumps around a bit, not a fast read compared to what I usually read.

Previously:

Kinda fun, a math professor travelling. Quite a bit takes place in the Middle East.

This had been on my to-read list forever. I have always wanted to do some big bike touring and (of course) am interested in East Asia. The Vietnam segments were great, really a vivid picture of the country (I have never been there). However, there could have been less family drama.

Not my favorite. Very biased author for one reason.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2016, 08:28:23 AM by sbco »

El Macho

• 东北人都是活雷锋
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2020, 11:28:34 AM »
Been reading some Raymond Chandler lately, entirely because Haruki Murakami rates him so highly. Maybe I’m just projecting things but I sure see similarities in their writing.

Simultaneously reading some nonfiction - parenting books! Alfie Kohn’s Unconditional Parenting is really great, highly recommend.
Also reading biographies of Abbie Hoffman. He was a huge influence on me when I was in jr high/high school. Interesting to read about him now I’m almost 40.

AMonk

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2020, 10:51:56 PM »
 agagagagag

I'm presently enjoying a Pratchett revival: his Discworld series ababababab
Moderation....in most things...

kitano

• Children of the Atom
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2020, 06:10:56 AM »
I recently read Dune which is as good as everyone said it is

I'm now reading Dune: Messiah which is good but I can't get into it. I am going to bloody mindedly read all of them, but I would imagine that it will take a long time

AMonk

« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2020, 01:00:21 AM »
Yeah ... don't forget to include the (later) books written by his son, using his notes :wtf:
Moderation....in most things...