Village life

• 19 replies

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
Village life
« on: June 05, 2015, 12:09:57 AM »
Thought I'd share a few of my favorites from my village.

First up:  Goose disassembly girls.

I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com

Re: Village life
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2015, 01:20:51 AM »
Hey girl
when ur a roamin', do as the settled do o_0

Guangzhou Writer

• Can use chopsticks
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2015, 02:06:57 AM »
Yum, yum. Get me some duck.

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2015, 01:08:56 PM »
EL, pardon my ignorance, but why or better still, what are they doing that requires the aprons. What is all the "stuff" on the bench?

BrandeX

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2015, 09:19:09 PM »
Chinese don't know how to "carve" meat, they hack it into bits with a cleaver. The aprons are to protect their clothes from the splattering. The "slop" on the table next to the cutting board is hard to see in the photo. It is either the meat they have finished chopping, pushed to the side to make way on the board, or refuse bits left over (never actually seen this 100% is served usually even here at home for my fam) from the chopping process.

cruisemonkey

• You could be next.
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2015, 11:19:02 AM »
Chinese don't know how to "carve" meat, they hack it into bits with a cleaver.

It's the same in Korea. They have absolutely no concept of dis-articulating a bird at the joints - they just hack it up 'willy nilly' with a cleaver. Consequently, there are shards of bone (especially from the hollow, long bones) and you have to be very careful when eating.
The Koreans once gave me five minutes notice - I didn't know what to do with the extra time.

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2015, 01:42:14 PM »
Thanks guys! bfbfbfbfbf  EL, doing this "outside" would appear to be a regular thing. Is this for an outside party with several guests?

Escaped Lunatic

• EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2015, 05:00:28 PM »
It was from a dinner celebrating opening the new meeting/dining hall for my sector of the village.  I was taking pics all over the place and wandered out the back door of the kitchen and ran into the girls there.
EscapedLunatic.com

BrandeX

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2015, 06:28:46 PM »
Thanks guys! bfbfbfbfbf  EL, doing this "outside" would appear to be a regular thing. Is this for an outside party with several guests?
Here at home gramma and grampa make the Chinese meals (I make my own), and always chop the meat up on a board on the floor. Easier to clean the splattering maybe, I am not sure.

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2015, 12:44:26 PM »
Interesting! I have never heard of a chicken being "chopped" up like that. I'd be terrified of the small slithers of bone getting into my throat and the rest of my digestive system. bibibibibi  Perhaps the Asian folk have extra thick/strong skin in their throats? Wait! maybe I've just found the answer to why I can hear them yelling all over "the den". I always thought that they were hard of hearing. ahahahahah ahahahahah

Escaped Lunatic

• EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2015, 03:30:50 PM »
It's something I've never figured out.  I've seen so many Chinese people pop a chunk of meat with razor-sharp bone shards into their mouths.  After a few moments, they spit out bones that look almost perfectly clean and swallow the meat.  Perhaps there's some well-kept secret about Chinese people we haven't learned yet.  xxxxxxxxxx
EscapedLunatic.com

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2015, 05:14:14 PM »
It's something you learn as a child, moving the bone around in your mouth with your tongue and pulling the meat off it. You don't think about it and there's no effort involved, it just feels perfectly normal. I was surprised how many foreigners I met here who had trouble with this and so preferred not to have any dishes with bone in them.

Escaped Lunatic

• EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2015, 10:34:43 PM »
One razor sharp item in a piece of meat is something I can sort of deal with.  Trying to eat the equivalent of a whole small sea urchin and spitting out all the spines while not stabbing myself is somewhat beyond my skill level.
EscapedLunatic.com

BrandeX

« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2015, 02:37:38 AM »
It's something you learn as a child, moving the bone around in your mouth with your tongue and pulling the meat off it. You don't think about it and there's no effort involved, it just feels perfectly normal. I was surprised how many foreigners I met here who had trouble with this and so preferred not to have any dishes with bone in them.
After nearly 8 years I will still actively avoid dishes with bones in them.

« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2015, 12:29:24 PM »
It's something you learn as a child, moving the bone around in your mouth with your tongue and pulling the meat off it.

Stil, the mind boggles! Perhaps you have just answered another question that an older lady shouldn't ask. afafafafaf uuuuuuuuuu ahahahahah