My Favourite Thread From The Past

• 5 replies
My Favourite Thread From The Past
« on: May 25, 2015, 01:27:12 AM »
As discussed in another thread, I think there have been some really good threads in the past.

My idea is that we should post some links to them and see if anybody new wants to contribute, and / or post replies to them.

It might not work, because I'm not sure many people search through old threads, but there are some really good ones.

However, for my first suggestion, I'd like to quote a really obscure thread because it influenced me more than any other.

Ostensibly it was about Eden English, but it was more about the nature of teaching in China.Eden 
English I haaaaaate you!  (Read 1514 times)

http://raoulschinasaloon.com/index.php?topic=6851.msg128295#msg128295

Anyway it's something Raoul said;

It's often those who care the most about teaching and their students, who get the worst psychological mind-job working in China. I had to go through this myself as well, as have many others of us here on The Saloon. The sad fact is that educational diligence not only doesn't generate any loyalty, but it's often like Teaching A Pig To Sing: It wastes your time, and annoys the pig. ananananan

The message I'd want to come from this is: Come to China to experience China, not to teach. Teaching is just a way to support yourself while you're experiencing China. Of course you should still do your best for your students' sake, but all you can do is the best you can do. You can't expect to influence the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads who own or manage most Chinese schools.

I don't disagree with anything Raoul said there by the way, but I was working at the time in an environment that was quite unprofessional (and oh boy, did it go even more downhill from there). As discussed in another thread, I started to see all Chinese employers, and perhaps China itself, as a non-dancing friendly pig.

Anyway, I'm now in a very good situation, with a new Uni.

I'm not saying it's perfect, but the administrative and management staff are as competent as one could wish. To a great extent I am still doing the job for myself and the students. I'm not sure the management at my new Uni appreciate the effort I put in, but it doesn't matter. I find that I don't need to be patted on the back. I just need to work in a professional environment, where the teachers and students I see everyday are motivated and happy, and not stuck in the kind of pointless hellhole I used to work in.

I will post more of my favourite threads from the past when I have time; sort of like a radio show playing the top 20 from a long ago year.

It would be really great though if referencing this thread buggered up Eden English's search results, whoever they are.

The all time classic thread like this though is the next one.

Re: My Favourite Thread From The Past
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2015, 01:29:13 AM »
I should have started with this one.

Best. Thread. Ever.

http://raoulschinasaloon.com/index.php?topic=1021.0

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2015, 02:29:49 PM »
I should have started with this one.

Best. Thread. Ever.

http://raoulschinasaloon.com/index.php?topic=1021.0

Daym. The olden days were harsh. I'm thinking - or probably more like hoping - that schools like that no longer exist. Aggressive suckering of foreigners is out of style now. Or at least, it's not the norm.

That is, there's an element of those kinds of dealings in every dealing I've ever had anywhere in China. An impression that somehow, I'm being made into something lesser because my employers hope to gain advantage by treating me so. It's there even now. But not so balls-out open as the sociopaths at Gallop.

That thread still comes up as one of the top search results for "Gallop International English". (I went looking for their website to see if they still operate - seems like their website hasn't been updated since 2012, but they've had people working there as recently as 2014.)
when ur a roamin', do as the settled do o_0

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2015, 03:25:45 PM »
I should cite a thread that others could realistically add to.

I want to avoid (for now) pointing people towards threads that I started, but this is one I bumped before.

Your First Day in China

http://raoulschinasaloon.com/index.php?topic=5953.msg112921#msg112921

If anybody has come to the site or China recently, it would be great to hear about your experience.

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2015, 11:51:42 PM »
It's pinned to The Bar, so I'm sure everyone has read the 'We Got Gonged' thread, but it's a very interesting one, and the FG are ever present in large cities outside China these days it seems.

http://raoulschinasaloon.com/index.php?topic=160.0

Has anyone else been gonged?
« Last Edit: June 01, 2015, 01:16:33 AM by Just Like Mr Benn »

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2015, 11:48:55 PM »
The gong-heads keep rubber-stamping stupid messages on the money.  I need to get my wife to check it and see if blacking out a word here and there can reverse the meaning of the message (or just wildly confuse it) before spending the two bills I've encountered recently.
I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com