Windows Firewall is good enough?

• 7 replies
Windows Firewall is good enough?
« on: May 15, 2015, 12:46:40 AM »
Normal best practice from the olden days is to have a third-party firewall on your computer (and some anti-virus software too). This apparently has changed some. From Windows 7 on, word has it the built-in Windows Firewall might be all you need. It by default blocks inbound connection attempts (other computers trying to contact your's), so you're safe enough from the outside world. What it doesn't do is block outbound connection attempts. That's when some program on *your* computer tries to contact the internet. Third-party firewalls will offer to do this for you. I suppose this is important more or less only in the cases where you've managed to install some malware. Is that right? Is that how all this would work in China? Is there anything special about the China situation that suggests you'd most often prefer some more capable third-party firewall, or is Windows Firewall enough?

(True story: I used to work in an office with a networked computer and installed Zonealarm. Next day, it had disappeared. I installed again. next day, gone again. Third day, the pinheads operating the office network let me keep it. I never asked what they were up to. I just assumed they were looking into my computer and didn't like being blocked. I have no idea if Windows Firewall would have stymied them - I guess not since they tried uninstalling Zonealarm...)
when ur a roamin', do as the settled do o_0

BrandeX

Re: Windows Firewall is good enough?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2015, 01:25:40 AM »
Programs still need, and auto ask for, outbound permission with Windows Firewall.

Yes, it's good enough. Combined with MSE and noscript in your browser, that's about all anyone with a little bit of PC savvy needs.

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2015, 08:55:54 PM »
All righty then. My new Windows 7 Ultimate installation shall feature the marvels and glories not of Avira Antivirus and Comodo Firewall but those of Windows Firewall, Microsoft Security Essentials, and, since I'm not a Firefox guy anymore, the Chrome extensions Adblock and ScriptSafe. Malicious programs beware.

Guangzhou Writer

• Can use chopsticks
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2015, 04:08:06 AM »
Probably doesn't make sense to run Comodo Firewall and Windows Firewall, unless you're just using Comodo for other features.

If you want to be really safe, in addition to all that, install a virtual machine for browsing the internet. Comodo has this, but with my version you have to use their flavor of Chrome, had some issues with it.

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2015, 11:51:23 PM »
I'm presently using Microsoft Security Essentials and Windows Firewall only. And just now I've discovered a newly installed program called "Easybits Checkers (Multiplayer)" which I sure a fuzzy didn't install and which a cursory internet search gives no suggestion is part of Windows 7 Ultimate.

This kind of thing doesn't happen to me. I don't get unexpected new programs. Ergo... well, it's possible the thing was there all along and I haven't looked that far down the start menu in a while, or this windows 7 isn't as secure as it might be having not been exactly "purchased", but still and all Windows Firewall might be going bye bye for now.

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2015, 11:57:36 PM »
Whoops. Have to recant. The damn thing was installed when I screwed around with, of all things, Bluetooth drivers. How the crapware permission screen slipped past me, I don't know.

I might still like Comodo anyway.

cruisemonkey

• You could be next.
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2015, 01:01:55 AM »
I have Windows Firewall activated as well as Microsoft Security Essentials. I'm also running AVG, Avast and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware.

Quite often one of: AVG, Avast or Malwarebytes will 'pick up' something that gets by everything else.

I wouldn't run with just the firewall and 'essentials'.
The Koreans once gave me five minutes notice - I didn't know what to do with the extra time.

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2015, 01:13:56 AM »
Update: the "Easybits" affair

Freaking Lenovo,as part of the official Bluetooth driver package, installed those crapware games for me - with NO NOTIFICATION. No screen telling me it was happening, no opt-out, and no mention in the license.

Thus far, other than this crap (which probably did happen on all my installations for the last year since it's the same damn driver archive), I haven't noticed any problems going it alone with just Microsoft as my anti-virus and firewall friend.. But then... I suppose I wouldn't know, would I.