China Mobile MMS

• 2 replies
China Mobile MMS
« on: May 05, 2015, 04:10:52 AM »
I did once, long ago, receive MMS. These days, nope. And it's been years. I have decided today to care. What I have been using, all these years, is the default China Mobile GPRS APN that turns up on my phone when the phone looks for network operators. That is, CMNET, as opposed to CMWAP. Because, who the hell knows. I have found (old, think 2011) suggestions that I might edit some extra info into the APN. Specifically, I might add:

[WARNING: DON'T TRY THIS - I DON'T KNOW IF IT IS REAL.]

MMSC: http://mmsc.monternet.com
MMS Proxy: 10.0.0.172
MMS Port: 9201

I have no idea if that works. I have a pending MMS that still can't be retrieved, so I guess no.

There was a suggestion that I also add

MNC: 02

But if I do, the entire APN disappears.

Apparently I can also leave the APN Type blank.

Why the fudge-packing Jesus China Mobile doesn't have this info on their website... is I'm guessing because their Android data is about as up to date as their preference for Internet Explorer.

HAS ANYONE HAD MMS EXPERIENCE AND CAN PROVIDE CLUES?!
when ur a roamin', do as the settled do o_0

Re: China Mobile MMS
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2015, 04:19:34 AM »
Well (a) I did put the following into the standard China Mobile GPRS cmnet APN

MMSC: http://mmsc.monternet.com
MMS Proxy: 10.0.0.172
MMS Port: 9201

And (b) I also encouraged my Messaging app to believe the MMS port would be 9201.

And (c) I turned on mobile data.

Which of all of those worked? I hope it wasn't just turning on mobile data. Goddamit, it doesn't work with wifi? Anyway. MMS received.

Re: China Mobile MMS
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2015, 04:40:16 AM »
Well damn. According to the internet, MMS over wifi is rare and unlikely. Needs to be supported by the telco. So, no data connection means no MMS. And yet, I've tried data connecting before and it had no effect. So, it was the APN edits?

Anybody?