have/has in respectable media

• 3 replies
have/has in respectable media
« on: February 07, 2015, 05:45:03 PM »
This is just for my edification, not a teachers tip or anything.

Surely the following sentence should be 'have' not 'has'...
Analysts say currency controls that restrict the availability of dollars for imports has played a key role in creating the scarcity of many items.

I know there is an 'over the pond' difference in have or has usage but this doesnt apply here as the only word to use is 'controls', which is objectively plural to my non-grammatically trained, but advancd level of experience in 'right propa good English, like'

Im posting as this sentence was on the BBC news website, I've seen loads of crap grammar on there recently and wasn't sure if this this is wrong or I'm losing my sense after being in China so long....because that happens!

I might even start calling the 'bus' the 'bas' soon.....

AMonk

Re: have/has in respectable media
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2015, 12:07:27 AM »
Yes.  agagagagag Because "controls" are plural, and the verb refers to them, it should be "have".  bgbgbgbgbg gggggggggg
Moderation....in most things...

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2015, 07:15:04 AM »
But it is also possible to look at the clause "currency controls that restrict the availability of dollars for imports" as singular... as "a" specific thing which has had the impact. The plural within the clause does not in itself make the clause plural where it is referring to one thing.

I think it does actually depend upon how you break up the sentence which determines which is correct in this case.

To me it can certainly be correct as it is.  (But also potentially correct in the plural form.... There is just a slightly different meaning in interpreting the meaning of the sentence in each case).

Analysts say "A" has played a key role in creating the scarcity of many items. Where A = "currency controls that restrict the availability of dollars for imports"

Sometimes it seems things go by too quickly. We are so busy watching out for what's just ahead of us that we don't take the time to enjoy where we are. (Calvin and Hobbs)

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2015, 05:41:30 PM »
After reading this, I has got a headache. ahahahahah
I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com