Lucy Caulkins Writer's Workshop Mini-lesson Archive

• 35 replies

mlaeux

• How's the water?
    • Fukushima has changed everything.
Lucy Caulkins Writer's Workshop Mini-lesson Archive
« on: December 18, 2014, 02:42:33 PM »
In my school we follow Lucy Caulkin's Writing workshop model. I will post the lessons I've been creating all year in this thread. Some of them were modified copy and paste jobs, some were well thought out and some were half-assed slopped together due to time constraints. The two other teachers on my team are new to workshop style and I had a little bit of experience and training in Saudi, so the majority of the lesson creation has fallen to me by default. I though I'd share them with you all, just in case you need something to do in a pinch. I use a lot of Youtube videos, so you may want to figure out a way around that barrier when you come to it.

Each Mini-lesson has 5 parts:
Connection
Teaching Point
Teach (model- I do/we do)
Turn & Talk (you do)
Teacher Share
Link

I created the lessons in Google Drive and they are all tidy looking and organized, but the features didn't translate over well when I copy and paste them onto the forum.

Launching Writer’s Workshop
1. What is writer’s workshop?
Writers share our thoughts through writers workshop.

Teaching Point - Writers share our thoughts through writers workshop.

Connection (APK)
Say, “This is our first day of Writing Workshop. During this special time each day we will gather to listen to stories, share ideas and work on writing, just like real authors. What will we write about during Writing Workshop? Authors often write about people they love, ideas they care about and experiences that leave a lasting impression. Today we will look at some different stories and discuss why we think the authors wrote them.”

Teach (Model)
Say, “Let me show you what I mean. The book we are going to read today is, Thank you, Mr. Falker, by Patricia Polacco. As I read, I am going to think about why the author chose to write this story. As I read, I will ask myself:
               •What idea does Patricia Polacco really know and care about?
               •Why is this story important to her?
                •How is this story meaningful for me?”

Next say, “We will come back to these questions after the story so, as you're listening, see if you can find the answers.”

Upon completion of the read aloud, refer to the anchor chart. Do a think out loud and add information to the chart.  Say, “We will use this anchor chart to record our thinking.”

Create an anchor chart that has 3 columns:
1) Title and Author 
2) Possible Meaning for the Author
3) Meaning for Us

Say, “Patricia Polacco has shared some painful memories of school.
•I know she really loves reading and writing stories.
•It was important for Patricia to share how she successfully overcame her
struggles learning to read.
•Finally, I can put myself into this story and make a personal connection. I am reminded that teasing (or bullying) is so hurtful and harmful.”
If the book is unavailable, use Youtube as a resource.
Thank you, Mr. Falker read by Jane Kaczmarek
 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abN2aP_Dzd0
or
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FjRsg9M7fw4

Active Engagement
 “Partners let’s think together about this story. Remember, Ask yourself: Trisha loved books, but she had a problem. Do you remember what it was? What was Trisha’s special skill? How does  the author show that she cared about Trisha?  Why is this story important to the author?
What does it mean when the author said that her grandma let go of the grass? Why did Trisha think she was dumb? How is this story meaningful to me?”
In large group, students volunteer their ideas. Teacher records student responses on
anchor chart.

Link:
Say, “Authors are inspired by ideas they know a lot about or experiences that happened to them. As we read these stories we’ll often think about our own experiences and the stories we could tell. Remember, knowing something well makes writing easier. Soon you will be creating a list of writing ideas. You will brainstorm topics that you about and are meaningful to you.

Launching Writer's Workshop 
2. How do writers talk to their partners?
Writers share our ideas/thoughts by Turn and Talk.

Teaching Point:
Writers share our ideas/thoughts by Turn and Talk.
Teach (Model):      
Say, “Writers, today we will learn a strategy that will help us plan what we will write in our writing time. Today, I want us to learn a strategy called turn and talk (or T&T). Strong writers have a plan before they write. Sometimes it helps to talk about our ideas before we write.”
Active Engagement:
Teach (modeling):      
“Writers, today we will learn how to turn and talk. I will need a student to come up and help me demonstrate to the class how we do this.”

Model a think aloud about the topic the students want to share with their partner. (Reminder: Explain to students that their thinking should be in their heads, you are only saying it out loud so they can hear what you are thinking.)

Say, “Now we are going to turn and talk. The first thing we will do is sit knee to knee on the carpet. Look at how we are facing each other, eye to eye. Now each of us will get a chance to talk and to listen. When the other person is talking, it is very important that you practice being a good listener. Now, I will talk about my idea with my partner, then my partner will talk about his/her idea.”

Say, “Today I want to write about ___________________.”
Active Engagement:

Choose a volunteer prior to the lesson and confer quickly about what is expected.
TIP: You may want to assign partners if you haven’t done so yet.

(Make sure the buzz-well rules are on the board/chart prior to class.)

Say, “When we turn and talk we turn, we follow the buzz-well rules:
1. Sit knee to knee, and eye to eye.
2. Talk in a quiet buzz. No one should be too loud, but everyone should be able to speak in a comfortable tone (just above a whisper) loud enough for your partner can hear and you're not disturbing the other turn and talk students. Let’s practice our just above a whisper voice.”

(Refer to the Volume-O-Meter and place the indicator arrow to just above a whisper.)
Practice, whisper voices, buzz-well voices and normal voices so that the students will get a feel for the level that they need to be speaking in during T&T time.)

Say, “Writers, now it is your turn to practice T&T while following the buzz-well rules. Turn to the person sitting next to you, sit knee to knee and look eye to eye and tell them what you want to write about.” (You may have to decide who starts first, for example students on the left). ” Now tell your partner your ideas for your story. When I say ‘Switch!’ the partner on the right goes.”

Set a timer so that each partner gets a full minute to talk.

Link:         
Say, “Writers, now that we have shared our ideas, it is time for us to go back to our seats and put our ideas onto paper.”

Mini-lesson 3
3. What do we look like in the meeting place?

Teaching Point:
Writers show responsibility by sitting with self-control in assigned meeting area.
Teach (Model):
Say,”What is a habit? What kind of habits are good habits? During Writer’s Workshop we need to develop some habits and behaviors everyone will use in order to think and work like professional writers. Today we are going to be talking about what a good Writer’s Workshop looks like and sounds like. “

Active Engagement:    

1. Invite students to join you on the carpet in the gathering area. Remind students to bring Writer’s Notebook and pen/pencil.

2.Review procedures for good listening, smooth transitions and turn and talk rules.
Turn and Talk rules:
Turn quickly when the teacher says, “Turn!”
Sit knee to knee (crosslegged) and eye to eye.
Speak in a soft voice and lean it so your partner can hear you and you do not disturb others.
(You’re going to have to practice these rules everyday because they will forget. Question them daily, say, “What are the T&T rules?” repeat the rules and practice the rules. If students don’t follow the the T&T rules, then practice again and again, until they get it right. Be prepared to review the T&T rules frequently. )

3. Brainstorm/guide students what a good writing workshop should LOOK LIKE and SOUND LIKE! Give students an example (see  #1 under You Do).

4. SHARED WRITING: Write with students about the first day of school. Begin with a topic sentence and then ask students to give input into the entry. Accept any logical responses. The idea is to let them observe you thinking aloud and seeing another model.

5. ANCHOR CHART review: ask students if they have thought of any other ideas that can be added to the Writing Ideas list.

Active Engagement 1:

6. Have students work with a partner to list 3 ideas about what someone who walked into the class during Writing Workshop would see and hear.

7. After 3-5 minutes, allow students to share their ideas with the large group. Create an anchor chart titled “Good Writing Habits”. Some ideas may include:

Students on task - writing or thinking about what you will write.

Students are prepared - a sharp pencil or pen, paper, writing references (dictionary, Writer’s Express, etc.)

Pages of a writing piece are numbered and kept together.

Skipped lines on DRAFTS for revising and editing space.

Writing using only one side of the paper.

Conferencing or peer sharing in quiet voices.

Published work uses best handwriting and writing on every line.

8. Tell the students that the daily Writers Workshop is a time for working and that by referring to the chart, “Good Writing Habits,” they will be able to make the most of the time they are given for writing.

9. Dismiss students to their seats to begin writing.
Active Engagement 2:              

1. Instruct students to continue on yesterday’s piece or begin writing about another topic of their choice for the remaining time in their writing journals. (Approximately 20 minutes)

2. Let them know you’ll give them a 5-minute warning before time to stop writing.

3. Circulate around room to make sure students are writing in the right place of their journal and have dated the entry correctly. Have a short writing conference with two or three students. Share with them something you notice they are doing really well. Ask questions or share observations about any areas that might need to be guided.

4. Make any notes or keep track of areas that might need to be addressed in a mini-lesson later.
 Link:
1. Give students feedback on writing time. Practice/review any procedures that need to be addressed.

EQ: What does a good writer’s workshop look like and sound like?

2. Assign homework reminder:
Say, “Bring in a special picture or item that holds a special memory or event that you would like to write about. This will be taped into your journal so be sure it is an item that you can keep at school. It is necessary for tomorrow’s assignment.!”

Mini-lesson 4
4. What do writers need to write?

Teaching Point:  Writers show independence by coming to the meeting place prepared.
Teach (Model):   
Say, “Writing is one of our primary forms of communicating with one another. We use writing to share our personal thoughts with a friend, record the history of our country, sell items, and send messages to family or friends on our phones and computers. This year we will be doing a lot of writing. In order to become better writers we will need to agree upon and understand what we all should be doing during Writer’s Workshop.”

Active Engagement 1:
1. Explain to students that there are several types of activities you will be doing this year during WW.  Display on board:

a) mini-lessons last 10-15 minutes
b) individual writing – 35-40 minutes
c) conferences - about 5 minutes per person, occurs during individual writing time
d) written reflections - times will vary
e) sharing – 5-10 minutes

2. Say, “We will meet together for the first part of Writing Workshop. Our signal for large group meeting is ‘Time for WW.’ Our gathering place is located on the blue carpet. Today, you will need to bring a composition book and a pencil when you come to the blue carpet.”

Practice transitioning to the meeting area several times.                      
3. When students are at meeting area, discuss the importance of good listening.
Use the SLANT procedure to be good listeners.    Display the SLANT rules on a chart somewhere prominent in the classroom.

Say, “Good listeners use SLANT. The SLANT rules are:                                              
S – sit up and sit still                        
L – look at the speaker                        
A – ask questions                        
N – nod occasionally to let us know you’re still ‘with us’         
T – track with your eyes”   

Instruct the students to write down what SLANT eans in the first page of their writer’s notebook.

4. WRITER’S NOTEBOOK:
Say, You will be using a composition book for your Writer’s Notebook this year. This will be a place where you can write freely. Sometimes your ideas might develop into stories that you might  want to publish. You may decorate the cover of your writer’s notebook with pictures, or draw a picture of something that is important to you.”

5. Say, “It will be important that you generate a list of ideas to write from. You won’t always have to choose from a list, but it will be there should they need it. Turn and talk to your partner about possible topics that you may want to write about, then write them down on the BACK PAGE of your notebook. Then together as a class we’ll make a list together of possible topics for writing on an anchor chart.”

Have students make their own copy of the anchor chart on the BACK PAGE of their Writer’s Notebook. Some ideas might include: family, pets, house, neighborhood, school, friends, vacations/trips, sports, current events, interesting people, etc.

6. Model for students how you want their first entry to look in their Writer’s Notebook– use Google Docs (see Launching Writer’s Workshop Mini-lesson 4.1) to show an example. Have students date each entry in the margin where they begin writing.

7. Dismiss students to their seats to begin writing.

Active Engagement 2:
1. Instruct students to begin writing about the topic of their choice for the remaining time in their writing journals. (Approximately 20 minutes)      

2. Let them know you’ll give them a 5-minute warning before time to stop writing.

3. Circulate around room to make sure students are writing on the 1st page of their journal. Set the tone for the room. Remind students to write quietly and freely about the topic of their choice.    
Link:
1. Give students feedback on writing time. Practice/review any procedures that need to be addressed. Review

EQ: What will we be doing during Writing Workshop each day?
2. Assign homework: Bring in a special picture or item that holds a special memory or event that you would like to write about. This will be taped into your journal so be sure it is an item that you can keep at school. NEED ON DAY ____   

3. Show students examples that the teacher has brought.

Mini-lesson 5
5. Who talks during a mini-lesson?

Teaching Point:
Writers show respect for others by waiting for their turn to talk.
Connection (APK):
Say, “Yesterday we practiced how you, as a writer, can show your independence by coming to the meeting place prepared.”
Teach (Model):
Say, “Today, we are going to learn the T&T rules. The T&T rules are…(see below) Why do we want to use the rules during turn and talk time?” Write the reasons on the board/chart paper.

Say,”In order to do things well, we have to practice. Let’s practice using the buzz-well rules now.” Circulate around the blue carpet and observe any issues that may arise.

Say, “Can anyone tell me what would be the wrong way to turn and talk?” Accept all reasonable answers.

Say, “Now let’s try doing turn and talk the wrong way.”  Give them a 30 second time limit.

Say, “ Let’s practice doing turn and talk the right way following the buzz well rules.”
After this time around, refer back to the reasons why students need to follow the buzz-well rules.

Say, “Let’s take a vote, Raise your hands if you think the buzz-well rules are a good idea.” Most students will be on board with this. You will want to refer back to this day when students break the buzz-well rules by saying, “Remember we all took a vote and agreed to follow the buzz-well rules.”
Active Engagement:
Establishing who goes first.

1. Decide which mini-games the students want to play. Establish a rotational monthly chart as to which game the students will be playing to establish who goes first during  T&T time. The winner will go first.  Suggestions for mini-games are, thumb wars, rock-paper-scissors, Saturday-Sunday (additional suggestions can be found in the comment area).
2. Practice sitting knee to knee- code word for knee to knee is K to K. Code word for sitting eye to eye is E to E.
On Chart:
Write the T&T rules on a chart and place in a prominent area in the meeting area.

The T&T Rules

Sit knee to knee/eye to eye
Hands and feet to yourself.
Turn quickly
Decide quickly who goes first (bubblegum-bubblegum, thumb war, saturday-sunday, rock-paper-scissors)
Push yourselves to say something. Use the hand gestures if your partner needs encouragement  (add more stuffing - add examples, plug it in - text to self, text to media, text to text and pull the taffy - elaborate with details)
Only talk about what the teacher has asked.
When you are done, “turn back to me” (the teacher)
If someone at your table’s partner is absent, invite that person into your partnership.
Hands are for making gestures and establishing who goes first.
Practice turning quickly and quietly when the teacher says, “Give me 5.”
Keep on topic. Everything you talk about will help you become a better writer.

Link:
“Tomorrow when we are on the carpet, please remember to use the T&T rules and hand gestures to help you and your partner really focus on the assignment so you can be the best writer you can be.”

« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 12:46:43 AM by mlaeux »

mlaeux

• How's the water?
Re: Lucy Caulkins Writer's Workshop Mini-lesson Archive
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2014, 02:43:22 PM »
Mini-lesson 6
6. How do writers plan?

Teaching Point: Writers plan by making lists.  (introduce topic/writers notebook)
Connection (APK):          
Say, “Yesterday we learned the right ways and wrong ways to buzz-well in the gathering area. Today we are going to make a heart to gather our seed moments. Raise your hand if you brought in a picture from home. Hang on to it, I’m going to tell you what to do with it in a moment.” 
Teach (Model):   
1. Instruct students to take out Writer’s Notebook and pen/pencil.

2. Invite students to join you at the gathering area. Remind students to bring Writer’s Notebook and pen/pencil. Review procedures for good listening and good transitions.

3. Create a special section in the writer’s notebook titled, “Gathering Seeds.”           
4. Say, “It is important to write about things your love and know about. This week we have been making a list of possible topics to write about on our anchor chart. Today we are going make more personalized lists in order to be able to write about what we know and love. Tomorrow we will make up lists of fun things which we will keep in the ‘Gathering Seeds’ part of our writer’s notebook.”

Draw a picture of how you want the heart page to look and choose 2 from the list below to model.  On the second to last page of students’ journals, have them draw a large heart – divide it into 6 sections. In their heart  students will write some writing “seeds”. Explain that their “seeds” are where their ideas for grow from and that they represent a tiny sliver of time when something memorable happened in their life. Add at least 2 ideas for each:

a. Favorite books and places   
b. Things I love to learn about   
c. Things that are important to me   
d. People I care about
e. Favorite times in my life   
f. Favorite family memories   

5. Have students tape in the picture or item they brought in on a fresh page across from their heart. Explain that this can serve as a writing seed. When and if they choose to write about it, they will carefully move it to the appropriate place in their writing journal.

Active Engagement:
6. Quickly review the buzz-well rules, K to K and  E to E.
Say, “Now we are going to share with our partner some of the ideas they included in their heart. Ask students to select one of the “seeds” and share the story behind it.   

7. ANCHOR CHART review: ask students if they have thought of any other ideas that can be added to the Writing Ideas list.

8. Dismiss students to their seats to begin writing.

1. Instruct students to continue writing about the topic of their choice for the remaining time in their writing journals. (Approximately 20 minutes or more.)

2. Let them know you’ll give them a 5-minute warning before time to stop writing. You may want to set up a special timer for the 5-minute warning.

3.Circulate around room and confer with students about their heart page. Work with students who may have limited information, encouraging them to talk about ideas and then write the “seed” down.

4. Have a short conference with two or three students about their writing.

5. Share with them something you notice they are doing really well.

6. Ask questions or share observations about any areas that might need to be guided.

7.Make any notes or keep track of areas that might need to be addressed in a mini-lesson.
Link:
Say, “Today we learned how to write a list of things to write about. In the future you will be making additional lists of things to write about, but each list will have a different focus. You will be able to refer back to these lists, so that you will never run out of ideas to write about.”

Mini-lesson 7
7. Writers write about things that have happened to them.

Teaching Point:
Writers write about things that have happened to them.
Connection (APK):
Say, “Yesterday we created a heart and listed our ‘seeds’ in our writer’s notebook. Today we are going to write a list of things that have happened to us because writers write about things that happen to them.”

On Chart:
Writers write about things that have happened to them.
Writers save ideas in their notebooks so that they can go back and explore what they could write more about:
Things that Annoy me
If I had a Million Dollars I Would...
Names of People Who are Important to Me
Things that Make me Laugh
Places I Want to Visit
Things that make me happy
Silly things my pet does
My most embarrassing moments

Teach (Model):

Writers save ideas in their notebooks so that they can go back and explore what happened in more depth.

Say, “ Let’s review the heart page list you made yesterday. Making lists is one strategy that writers use to get ideas. Today during independent writing you are going to work on making more lists. You can play with you lists by going back and circling or highlighting ideas on the lists that stand out.” (This may be too much for one day; it could be a great lesson for the following day.)

Write the following list titles on the chart paper and have students copy each one, with the date, following the format introduced in lesson 4, refer to google doc. Launching Writer’s Workshop Mini-lesson  4.1) on a separate clean sheet of notebook paper in the ‘gathering seeds’ portion of their notebooks.

Draw a watermelon slice. Explain that we want to focus on seed moments. The whole melon represents the entire story, the slice represents a chapter and the seed represents a few moments in time.

Suggested ideas:
Things that Annoy me
If I had a Million Dollars I Would...
Names of People Who are Important to Me (this is a great one for circling names and making a new list from one name)
Things that Make me Laugh
Places I Want to Visit
Things that make me happy
Silly things my pet does
My most embarrassing moments

Active Engagement:
Students share the items on their list with their partner.

Tell students to make a list of their own ideas and then they can share it with the class after Turn & Talk time.

Say, “Please write each title these on a separate sheet of paper in your notebook.
Do not write on the back of the lists so you will have room to go back and add more, if you think of something new. You will often go back to things you’ve written about months before. I’m going to give you a few minutes to get all the ideas down in just a moment and you can work on whichever list you like first. It does not have to be in order. Just make sure that each list is on a fresh sheet of paper in the ‘Gathering Seeds’ section in your notebook and you don't write on the back of the page. Write the title of the list at the top of the page, like I showed you, and then move on to the next page.”

Send students back to work at their desks, check to make sure they are using a fresh sheet for each list title, monitor student understanding of the mini-lesson during individual conferences.

Identify which students are able to write independently and can say more about their ideas and which students may need more support with seeing themselves as writers.

For reluctant writers, ask questions like:
Tell me more about that...
What did you mean here?
I noticed that you...that is something really great writer’s do

Link:
Say,”Today you have created a bank of ideas that you can make deposits into (add more ideas) and you can make withdrawals too (pick one idea from a list to write about). You will refer back to these list ( the bank) over and over again, and don’t forget to add more ideas to the list as soon as you think about one, so you don’t forget it. Always bring your writer’s notebook to class, so you won’t miss out on an opportunity to make deposits and withdrawals from your bank.”

Mini-lesson 8.1
8. 1 How do I write a word I don't know? Part I

Teaching Point:
Writers show independence by choosing a good place to work.
Connection (APK):
Say, “In yesterday’s lesson we learned that writers write about things that have happened to them. In Writer’s Workshop, our goal is to stay focused and use our time wisely by writing and applying the skills that we learn in our mini-lessons.”
Teach (Model):
Say, “Writers can chose to write at their desks or grab a pillow and find a quiet spot in the room to write independently, but writers must follow the rules or they will be sent back to their desks or lose a few minutes of recess time. Only 5 writers will be allowed on the carpet at a time. A carpet chart will be provided. Appropriate places will be pointed out to the students.
The rules are -
1. Writers must go to their spot prepared with everything they will need to be successful, uninterrupted writers. Writers must bring their pencil, eraser, pencil sharpener, writer’s notebook, Spanish-English dictionary and thesaurus with them to their special quiet (QWS).

2.  Writers must work quietly and show respect to the other writers by not disturbing them

3. Writers remember to use the new strategies introduced in the daily mini-lesson, plus all the other strategies learned from previous lessons.You may refer back to previous strategies in your writer’s notebook at anytime to refresh your memory.”
Active Engagement:
Dismiss students by pulling chance sticks and letting students choose which number/spot where they want to write independently.
Link
Yesterday we learned that writers write about things that have happened to them and today we discovered that writers can show their independence by choosing a quiet  place to write (QWS).

Mini-lesson 9
9. How do I write a word I don't know?

Teaching Point - Writers show responsibility by writing the whole time. (When I am done, I've just begun...)

Connection (APK):
Yesterday you learned that writers show their independence by choosing a quiet writing spot.
Teach (Model):
Say, “Writers show responsibility by writing the whole time. What happens if you get stuck, you forget what you were going to write or you have no idea what to write? Remember those lists? You can refer back to them to find another topic to write on, or you can use strategies that we are going to learn to help you push you thinking in order to really help your reader understand what you are trying to say. Or you can use ‘spicy’ words to help the reader visualize what you are writing about. What are ‘spicy words’? ‘Spicy’ words are adjectives. Adjectives help readers understand your meaning through the use of words that cause you to use your 5 senses. We’ll talk more about that in another mini-lesson, just remember, ‘spicy’ words are adjectives that apply to the 5 senses.”   
Active Engagement:
Say, “Can you think of any other ways to help you stay focused and writing the whole time? I want you to take turns with your partner talking about ways you can keep writing. Then write down all your ideas and we will put the best ones on a chart.”
Link
Say, “Yesterday we learned that writers show their independence by choosing a good place to work. Today we learned that writers show responsibility by writing the whole time. Remember to use your writing time wisely and if you finish writing on one topic you have lists of other topics you can write on in the ‘Gathering Seeds’ section in your writer's notebook.”

Mini Lesson _____
Sensory Words - Visual Words
Mentor Text - Owl Moon
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HN8W05hBbSM

Teaching Point - Writers choose words carefully to convey their purpose.
Connection APK (Activate Prior Knowledge)
Say, “Yesterday, we talked about using words that authors use to make you imagine that you are there, by using sounds to describe what the author wants you to hear. 

Today, we are going to use words that help the reader see what you see, when you are writing your story. Today’s focus is going to be on visual words.

When you read a novel, can you imagine what is happening in your mind as you read it? Imagine the inside of your head is a movie screen and as you read, imagine the story is a movie playing in on your forehead.”

Teach - Model
Say, “Imagine you are in a one of Torreon’s famous dust storms. Let’s look at my version of a Torreon dust storm”.

On Chart -
It was a hot summer evening, and the sun was starting to set. The sky was a soft shade of pink in the west and as the sun was gently sinking into the desert, the soft pink glow gradually changed to a dark purple. Soon after that, I heard the windows begin to rattle in bedroom. As I peered out my window, the light from the patio revealed dark brown splotches of dirty rain as it  shook my bedroom window.

The brown sand was carried to my home by the gusting winds that had blown across the desert and mixed with the rain, turning it into muddy filth that covered the city and turned the streets brown.

Active Engagement- (Turn and Talk)
Say, “Let’s brainstorm and think about some new descriptive words that describe what it’s like being in a “Lluvia de Torreon.” Get with your partner and make a list of some descriptive words that will help your reader visualize what it’s really like.

Link -
Say, “Writers choose words carefully to convey their purpose. Today we focused on words that help your readers see what you are writing about. We used descriptive words to help your reader visualize what you are writing about.

Now we are going to go back to our seats and pick a new item on one of our lists and focus on using descriptive visual words to really help our readers very clearly see what we are writing about.”

Lesson 10.1
10.1 How do I write a word I don't know? Part I

Teaching Point: Writers write difficult words by using a word wall.
Connection (APK):
Say, “You are all familiar with word walls from your third grade class, right? Well, this word wall is going to very similar to the word wall you had in third grade, but it may also be a little bit different too.”
Teach (Model):
Say, “Throughout the year we will run across difficult words. Some of those difficult words will go on the word wall. Especially, the words that we see over and over again. Those are called high frequency words. They will also go on the word wall. We will also place words that are commonly misspelled on the word wall too.

We will decide which words should go on the word wall together. We will use words that you will use the most often while you are writing. We will add about five words a week to the word wall. Some of the words will be MAP words, some of the words will be words from social studies, math, or from stories we have read. We will refer back to the word wall often, so you must be familiar with these words. Sometimes we may play games or sometimes we will compare and contrast the different words.”

Some words may already be on the word wall, but in your hand you will have a short stack of index cards with words already written out on them. Use a few MAP words, such as - conclude, diary, context, draft, brochure, verb and review. On another card write the meaning of the word. Explain the meaning of each word as you place the word card and the definition card under the respective letters on the word wall.

Explain to the students that they will use a special notebook, in order to write down each word and its definition?

Active Engagement:
Have a small basket of art supplies handy, possibly different colors of glitter, construction paper and other craft supplies in order for the students to decorate the covers of their Word Wall Notebook.

Say, “Please get your special word wall notebook out on your desk. This is the notebook that we will be using to record all the word wall words.” At this point, each child should have their own new spiral notebook out in front of them on their desk. Allow some time for them to decorate and take ownership.
On the cover of the notebook students will write, My Word Wall Notebook and underneath the title ask student to write the abbreviation, WWN.
Link:
Say, “You can use the WWN anytime to record new words and their meaning. Also, you can use these words when you write, so think of it as if it was your own personal dictionary, filled with words that you can refer back to anytime you need them.”

mlaeux

• How's the water?
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2014, 02:43:36 PM »

Mini-lesson 10.2
10.2 How do I write a word I don't know?

Teaching Point:
Writers write difficult words by using patterns in words.

Connection (APK):
Say, “Yesterday we learned that writers write difficult words by using a word wall, and today we are going to learn that writers write difficult words by using patterns in words.

Teach (Model):
Prepare several cards for the word family word wall in advance. Examples - ife word family - wife, life, fife, knife, and strife.
Say, “Sometimes you can figure out a word because it belongs in the same word family as a similar word. What makes words part of a word family? Words that sound alike or rhyme are usually part of the same word family. On the word family word wall, you will see words that sound alike grouped together. For example, the ife family of words include, wife, life, fife, knife and strife. I’m going to place them on the word wall under the heading ife.”

Place the cards on the specially prepared word wall. (See the link in comments under 37 most common word patterns.)

Active Engagement:
Distribute one index card for each pair,  with a mix of the following A word families (ack, ad, ail, ain, ake, all, am, ame, an ank, ap, ar, ash, at, ate, aw, ay )

Say, “Now it’s your turn. Each partner will be provided a card. On that card, I want you and your partner to list as many words as you can think of that belong to the word family listed at the top of the card. If you run out of room, use the back. Write small, but not too small. I want to be able to read it, but I also want you to have enough room to write down as many words that belong to that specific word family as you can think of. “
Link:
Say, “Yesterday we learned that writers write difficult words by using a word wall, and today we learned that writers write difficult words by using patterns in words. We can use the word wall to help us identify word families and word patterns. We can think about words that sound the same and are spelled similar. We can use a dictionary to help us in case the word is not on the word wall and we can use a thesaurus to help us find antonyms and synonyms. Finding words that belong to word families is just one way to help us write difficult words.”

Mini-lesson 10.3
10.3 How do I write a word I don't know?
Writers show independence by solving problems while the teacher is conferring.

Teaching Point:
Writers show independence by solving problems while the teacher is conferring. (Classroom chart)
Connection (APK):
Say, “Yesterday we learned that writers write difficult words by using patterns in words, and today we are going to learn that writers show independence by solving problems while the teacher is conferring. We are going to brainstorm ways to solve common problems, I’m going to introduce you to the writing basket and the writing basket rules.” 

Teach (Model):
Say, “Sometimes we need help during Writing Workshop and the teacher is busy helping other students or conferencing. What are some common questions that you may have when you are writing independently?” 

Review the items in the writing basket and where the writing basket is located. Place a sign with the writing basket rules posted nearby. Get student buy in on the rules, so that you may refer back to this day and say, “We all agreed to the writing basket rules, remember?” 

Writing Basket Rules
1) If you borrow it, please return it so others can use it too!
2) If it runs out then please replace it.
3) Don’t take supplies to your seat.
4) No more than two students at a time in the writing basket area. 
5) No chatting in the basket area.
6) Do what you came to do and then please sit down and continue writing.

Active Engagement:
Say, ”Let’s think of ways we can solve these problems on our own. Turn and talk to your writing buddy and think of some problems that you may have when the teacher is busy. Be prepared to share.”

T-Chart Example
Problem
Solution
The staple has run out of staples.
Locate staples and put new ones in.
Your pencil needs sharpening and you can’t find yours.
Quietly borrow a sharpener from your WB or use the pencil sharpener in the writing supplies basket.

List the questions on the board/chart on the left side of the T-chart.
On the right side of the T-chart write the appropriate solution next to the problem. (See sample above.)

Place the completed chart in a prominent area where it is easily assessable.

Link:
Say, “Yesterday we learned that writers write difficult words by using patterns in words, and today we learned how to problem solve what to do when we have a problem and the teacher is busy. We created a special chart to help remind us of what to do and you also know where to find the writing basket, how to refill the writing basket supplies and you have all agreed to follow the writing basket rules, so that everyone can have an productive writing experience.”

Mini-lesson 10.4
10.4 How do I write a word I don't know?
Do three before you ask me.

Teaching Point:
Connection (APK):
Say, “Have you ever had another student help you with your classwork or homework? We all have. That’s a portion of what the ask three before you ask me is about, but you can also ask a dictionary an a thesaurus before you ask your writing partner.”
Teach (Model):
1. Ask students how having a writing partner can be helpful to them. Write the responses on the whiteboard/chart paper. Students should record the answers.

2. Discuss good ways of helping and improper ways of helping. Brainstorm all the different  ways that partners can help each other, but still not break the classroom rules. Pick two students to role play bad ways to help and then ask two different students to role play good ways to help.

3. Share with students that during Writer's Workshop, they will be sitting next to a writing buddy [partner]. Explain what a writing buddy is or WB for short.

4. Share that writing buddies help one another in good ways. Refer back to the role playing activity and brainstorm what the students did that appropriate.

5. Share that if help is needed, students should ask their writing buddy for help especially if it is about a word, but only if they have  looked it up in their Spanish-English dictionary and/or thesaurus.

6. Ask, "What are some ways we need help during Writer's Workshop?" List student responses on the board if your writing buddy doesn't know how to help you, what could you do next?” Write student suggestions on the board.
Let’s look at some ways you can solve this problem by yourself. A few days ago we started a word family word wall and we also talked about using a Spanish-English dictionary and a thesaurus to help us find synonyms and antonyms. A thesaurus’ will also help you make better word choices. 
□ ask a nearby neighbor, but stay in your seat
□ use a Spanish-English dictionary and/or thesaurus
□ ask your writing buddy (WB)

Please write this down on a fresh sheet in your writer's notebook under the title, How can I write a word I don’t know. Leave room because  we are going to brainstorm some more ideas.”

Active Engagement:
Say, “We just discussed three ways you can find a word you don’t know, can you think of any other ways? With your WB, write down a list of things you can do. Be prepared to share.”
Set the timer for 2 minutes. Randomly call on students to share any additional ways that they can solve problems by themselves. Write them on the board. Instruct students to write them in their writer’s notebook under the title, How I can write a word I don’t know.”
Link:
Say, “Yesterday we learned how to show independence by solving problems while the teacher is conferring. Today we learned about the ‘ask three before you ask me’ rule, plus we brainstormed additional ways you can solve this problem and become a more independant writer. Today and everyday please remember that good writers use these strategies to improve their writing everyday.”

Mini-lesson 11
11. How do I choose a topic?

Teaching Point:
Writers narrow their idea by choosing a seed topic.
Connection (APK):
Say, “Yesterday you learned about the ‘ask three before you ask me’ rule. Today you will learn how to choose a topic to write about. You’ll practice how to create a topic and then list specific things under that same topic”
On Chart

My Cat Bosco
1) Is a bossy cat
2) Thinks he's a person
3) Is the king of the cats
4) Nothing bothers him, unless he's grumpy and tired, then everything bothers him until he get a nice long nap.

On Chart
My cat Bosco is the king of the cats. I see Bosco sleeping on the dining room table. None of the other cats are allowed to jump on the table next to him. They must sleep on the dining room chairs and be content with their lot in life. I see my sister pulling up into her driveway and getting the mail from the mailbox at the end of the driveway. I see her opening the door and throwing her keys on the table. I see Bosco yawn and stretch, unconcerned. My sister scratches his head and Bosco looks up at her and purrs. Yes, it's good to be the king.

Teach (Model):
Say, “ Remember that watermelon slice with the seeds? The whole watermelon represented the whole story, the slice represented a chapter and the seed, represents a small moment in time, a seed moment. Please turn to the ‘gathering seeds’ section in your writer’s notebook.

When you make lists under specific topics such as, My Cat Bosco, then you have to narrow the focus down even further. What about my cat Bosco? Be specific, there are several things I can say about Bosco. There are many things I can write about Bosco. Let’s look at the chart.”  (See comments - On Chart with a list of 4 topics, and a sample written paragraph.)

Active Engagement:
Say, “Now it’s your turn. Get with your WB and share about all the different topics you can think of and then list all the specific things you can say about these topics, just like I did with my cat Bosco.Then write them all down on a fresh sheet of paper in the ‘gathering seeds’ section. Whenever you think of a new topic and the specific things you can say about it, you can write it down the ‘gathering seed’ section in your writer’s notebook. Please put a star next to your favorite ones. You can come back to it in the future. ” 

Link:
Say, “Yesterday you learned about the ‘ask three before you ask me’ rule. Today you learned how to choose a topic to write about and then list specific things you can say about it. In fact, the lists you created today can be used in the future.”

Launching Writer's Workshop 
12. How do I make my writing interesting?
Writers grab their reader's attention by using an interesting beginning.

Teaching Point:
Writers grab their reader's attention by using an interesting beginning.

Connection (APK):
Say, “Yesterday we learned how writers narrow their idea by choosing a seed topic and today we are going to talk about what is a hook and we’ll take a closer look at eh book, Thank You Mr. Falker.”

Teach (Model):
Say, “Remember the book Thank You Mr. Falker?  We will be looking and listening to the beginning of the book to identify the hook, or how the author captures the reader’s interest right from the start and that makes the the reader want to keep reading. We’ll also talk about why hooks are important to your writing.

What are hooks?  Hooks are how we grab the reader’s attention from the very start of the story. We want to grab the reader’s attention and keep their attention.  We want to peak their interest so that they will want to continue reading.

Let’s listen to the opening of Thank You Mr. Falker again. And, I want you to think about these questions as you listen to the beginning of the story again.How did the author capture your attention?  How did she pull you in?  What made you want you to continue reading?”

Put the questions on the board for the students to refer to during the story.

Active Engagement:
Say, “We just looked at one way an author can hook a reader. What are some other ways a writer can hook a reader. Think back to your favorite books, how did the author starts the story? Talk about it with your partner and then write it down in your writer's notebook on a page titled, Story Hooks.”
Active Engagement:
Say, “Please take out your silent reading book.  Read the first paragraph or the first page of your book.  Does it have a hook?  What makes you want to read more?” 
Post a chart with different categories of leads/hooks (see below…) and record different leads as they are shared.

Link:
Say, “Today when you are writing, I want you to practice writing a hook that will grab the reader’s attention.  Make them want to continue reading.  Do you want to surprise them?  Ask a question?  Paint a picture? Please refer to the chart for examples that you can use.”

Anchor Chart

Type
Example

Question
Have you ever wondered how you would survive if you found yourself alone in the wilderness?
Announcement
Open with an announcement about what is to come.
The day my sister threw up on the sailor’s hat was a day that I’ll always remember.
Quotation
Open with a quotation from an important figure or character from a story or someone you know personally.

When I was a child, my mom often said, “Leave it to Leslie.” 

Opinion
Open with your opinion about the topic.  (You don’t need to say, “In my opinion.”

No one should have to share a room with a little brother.

Personal Experience
Open with something that has happened to you, It could be a part of the story, or it could be something that relates to the topic.
I never cried when my grandmother died.  I hadn’t been allowed to attend the funeral; my mother thought I was too young.
Figurative Language
Begin with a simile, metaphor, or personification.

The morning was like a dream.  Fog hung low to the ground, making it difficult to see the creatures clearly.  But I knew they were there, off in the distance, waiting for me.
Descriptive Lead

The midsummer sun was high in a clear yellow-brown sky.  The morning’s filmy blue clouds had dissipated, and the temperature was 8 degrees Fahrenheit.
Imaginative Lead

Imagine this, you are sitting at home watching a rerun of “Friends” when you are interrupted by a loud rapping at the door.  You struggle to your feet, open the door, and are greeted by two police officers.
Dramatic or Mysterious Lead

I wouldn’t make it through the night without it.
Starting in the Middle of a Scene

I was sure we’d find the blanket ripped and dirty.
Leisurely Lead

When I looked into my Grandma’s linen closet, I was amazed by the patchwork of color.  Never had I seen so many different blankets.  There were soft, fluffy chenille ones and old worn brown ones.  Some were still in their clear plastic wrap, while others seemed to sag off the edge of the shelf.  Tucked in the middle, barely visible, with just a faded yellow corner sticking out, was the one I wanted.
Beginning at the Ending

I joyfully pulled the tattered corners around me and sighed as I settled into the corner of the chair.
Introducing the Narrator

I used to think I was different from everyone else – that I had a secret friend that no one else had.  But as I’ve grown older and shared childhood memories with new friends, I’ve come to realize that lots of people had special relationships with inanimate objects.  You know, that special bear, t-shirt, pillow, or, in my case, blanket?  Yes, I admit it.  I had a “blankie.”
Misleading Lead

Only insecure, immature babies need to drag their blankets around with them!

mlaeux

• How's the water?
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2014, 02:50:33 PM »
The above was created for launching Writer's Workshop for fourth grade ESL students, but truth be told, this new batch is a bit immature, so I relied on the 3rd grade curriculum to make it work.

I'll post more soon. I have a boatload squirreled away and if you want the pretty copies, let me know…

Tree

• This personal text is false.
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2014, 04:33:44 PM »
This is brilliant!

Thanks much for sharing, I'm going to adapt some of these for my small group classes.

agagagagag agagagagag agagagagag
The greatest and most important problems of life are all in a certain sense insoluble. They can never be solved, but only outgrown.
- Jung

mlaeux

• How's the water?
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2014, 02:33:59 AM »
Thanks Tree. I have grammar point mini lessons, authors as mentors and boxes and bullets coming soon.

mlaeux

• How's the water?
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2014, 05:11:15 AM »
Grammar point mini-lessons are thrown into the mix through out the semester.

Grammar Points
1.1 Adverbs of Manner
Extensive Adverbs of Manner List - https://www.englishclub.com/vocabulary/adverbs-manner.htm

Connection
Say, “We all know what an adjective right? It’s those spicy descriptive sensory words that bring life to dull boring noodle sentences. Well an adverb helps bring life to boring noodle sentences too.
Teaching Point
We can spice up verbs by describing how something is by using adverbs.
Teaching
Say, ”Here’s an example, ‘The mother tenderly moved the pup.’ The word tenderly helps us understand how the pup was moved. We could have written ‘The mother moved the pup,’ but that's a dull boring noodle sentence, by adding the word tenderly we describe how the mother dog moved the pup.

On chart:
               The monkey swiftly swung from the branches.
               The donkey quietly brayed at the little boy.
               The dog impatiently growled at the cat.
               The captain shouted orders loudly to his crew.

In each example, the adverb helped spice up the sentence by making the verb more interesting. We call these types of adverbs, Adverbs of manner. They answer the question ‘how?’ Adverbs of Manner go with verbs.

Today we are going to spice up some sentences of our own. To make an adverb we usually add -ly to a word, just like in the examples on the chart, -swift becomes swiftly, quiet becomes quietly, impatient becomes impatiently, loud becomes loudly.

When we add -ly to a word to make it an adverb, we describe how something is,

How did the monkey swing? -swiftly
how did the donkey bray? -quietly
How did the dog growl? impatiently
How did the captain shout orders? -loudly”

Turn and Talk
Say, “With your writing buddy, I want you to write a list of words that describe the verbs listed on the board. (on board/chart - ran, drank, chopped,  sang, swam, walked, danced, sailed, twinkled, shoved, said, jumped, trotted, shouted, passed, moved)
Link
Today and everyday, I want you to remember that just like the way we spice up nouns with descriptive sensory words, we can spice up verbs by describing how something is.
Teacher share
Say, “I’d like to share with the class that I saw _____ really think hard and come up with lots of good adverbs . Good job ____!”

Grammar Point Mini-lesson 1.2
Adverbs of Manner
Adverbs describe in what way something is done

Connection
Say, “Last time we learned that adverbs describe when something happened. (Refer to the WHEN column in the anchor chart.) in the sentence, ‘I will meet you later.’ The word later is an adverb because it describes when something will happen. Today we are going to learn that adverbs can describe a way that something was done.”
Teaching Point
Adverbs can describe a way that something was done.
Teaching
Say, “Did you know that adverbs can describe in what way was something is done? These types of adverbs are called Adverbs of Manner. Adverbs of Manner tell us the manner or way in which something happens. They answer the question "how?" Adverbs of Manner go with verbs.(Adjectives go with nouns.)
He speaks slowly. (How does he speak?)
They helped us cheerfully. (How did they help us?)
James Bond drives his cars fast. (How does James Bond drive his cars?)

Check out these sentences-
(on chart)
The elephant moved awkwardly.
The shortstop runs fast.
The musician performed perfectly.
The dancers moved gracefully.
Gesture to each sentence as you say, “The word awkwardly describes how the elephant moved. The word fast describes how the shortstop ran. The word perfectly describes how the musician played. The word gracefully describes how the dancers moved.

Turn and Talk
Project the sentence ‘strips’ posted below. Treat these like they are mini-sentence strips. Say, “Now it’s your turn. Get with your writing buddy, and look at the word bank. Then write the sentences down and fill in the blank using best answer.”

Project the cloze sentences and word bank posted below on the board, so the students can write the sentences in their notebooks. Students must pick the best word from the word bank to fill in the blank. Encourage students to quietly practice saying the sentences aloud to see if the adverb is a good fit for the sentence. Allow one pair to share one sentence.
Link
Say, “Today and everyday, I want you to remember that just like the way we spice up nouns with descriptive sensory adjectives, we can spice up verbs by describing the way in which something something happened with Adverbs of Manner.”
Teacher Share
Say, “I’d like to share with the class that I saw _____ really work hard by really testing out the sentence to see if the adverb was a good fit. Good job ____!”

Word Bank - obediently, fondly, patiently, truthfully, safely, dangerously, regularly, hurriedly, quietly, daringly

The airplane landed ___ on the runway.

The lawyer told him to answer his questions ___.

I was scared during the taxi ride. Our driver drove ____.

If you want to be good at sports, you must practice  ____.

He was late, so he got dressed ___.

She waited ____ for him to arrive.

Speak ___ in the library.

I liked him a lot. I remember him ___.

The acrobat dived ___ through the air.

My dog is well-behaved. He follows my instructions ___.

Extensive Adverb of Manner List
https://www.englishclub.com/vocabulary/adverbs-manner.htm

1.3 Grammar Points
Adverbs of Time
Extensive Adverbs of Time List - https://www.englishclub.com/vocabulary/adverbs-time.htm

Connection
Say, “Last time we learned that adverbs describe  how something is, but did you know that adverbs can describe when something is too? Adverbs belong to the family of spicy descriptive sensory words that bring life to dull boring noodle sentences. Adverbs can tell how something is and today we are going to learn that adverbs can also describe when something happened.”
Teaching Point
We can spice up verbs by describing when something happened by using adverbs.
Teaching
Say, “Did you know that adverbs can describe when something happened? We call them Adverbs of Time.”

(Draw students attention to the chart)

On chart -
I will meet you later.
Grandma is coming today.
Janice played yesterday.
The message arrived early.

Say, “Adverbs can describe time, later, today, yesterday and early.

Listen to this boring noodle sentence, ‘The train will arrive.’ Boring and not very clear, right? Now let’s spice it up with an adverb. ‘The train will arrive after the next stop’ or maybe we could say, ‘The train will never arrive.’ By using an adverb, we can describe when something has happened (past tense), is happening (present tense) or will happen (future tense).”   

Adverbs of Time tell us something about the time that something happens. Adverbs of Time mainly modify verbs.
They can answer the question "when?":
He came yesterday. (When did he come?)
I want it now. (When do I want it?)
Or they can answer the question "how often?":
They deliver the newspaper daily. (How often do they deliver the newspaper?)
We sometimes watch a movie. (How often do we watch a movie?)

Turn and Talk
Project the sentence ‘strips’ posted below. Treat these like they are mini sentence strips. Say, “With your writing buddy, I want you to think of at least one adverb that you can use to fill in the blank using an adverb that describes when.” List the WHEN adverbs on the board, so the student can refer to them and practice saying the sentences aloud. Allow one pair to share one sentence.
Link
Say, “Today and everyday, I want you to remember that just like the way we spice up nouns with descriptive sensory adjectives, we can spice up verbs by describing when something happened.”
Teacher Share
Say, “I’d like to share with the class that I saw _____ really think hard and come up with lots of good adverbs . Good job ____!”

Mini Sentence Strips - (note: these sentences suck. Feel free to omit and use your own.)

You will meet the new puppy ________ today.
The steamship will arrive _________.
The candy shop will open __________.
The trumpet will sound  ________ .
The car show has been rescheduled for ________________.
The octopus is sleeping behind the rock __________________
The cat chased a dog across the yard ___________________.
The shark was spotted in the bay _________________.
The chef will make his specialty _____________________ .
The queen made the announcement about the ball _____________.

Adverbs of Time
Adverbs of Time tell us something about the time that something happens. Adverbs of Time mainly modify verbs.
They can answer the question "when?":
He came yesterday. (When did he come?)
I want it now. (When do I want it?)
Or they can answer the question "how often?":
They deliver the newspaper daily. (How often do they deliver the newspaper?)
We sometimes watch a movie. (How often do we watch a movie?)

« Last Edit: December 21, 2014, 05:20:21 AM by mlaeux »

mlaeux

• How's the water?
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2014, 05:18:49 AM »
Please note that the information on the charts don't copy & paste well. If you want a copy of the lesson with the charts, links and comments please let me know. I can make a PDF copy.

1.4 Adverbs of Degree
Extensive list of Adverbs of Degree - https://www.englishclub.com/vocabulary/adverbs-degree.htm

Connection
Say, “ Last time we learned about Adverbs of Manner. These adverbs describe the way something was done. The elephant moved awkwardly, The mouse squeaked nervously. The Monkey chattered endlessly. All three of these sentences describe a way in which something was done.”
Teaching Point
Adverbs of Degree tell us the degree or extent to which something happens. They answer the question "how much?" or "to what degree?"
Teaching
Say,  “Adverbs of Degree tell us the degree or extent to which something happens. They answer the question "how much?" or "to what degree?" Adverbs of Degree can go with verbs, adjectives and other adverbs.”

On Chart
She entirely agrees with him.
Janet is very beautiful.
The tiger was terribly hungry.

She entirely agrees with him.
Point to the sentence and say, “How much does she agree with him? This sentence tell us how much she agrees with him.”

Janet is very beautiful.
Point to the sentence and say, “To what degree is Janet beautiful? How beautiful is Janet? This sentence tells us how beautiful Janet is.

The tiger was terribly hungry.
Point to the sentence and say, “To what degree did the tiger feel hunger? How hungry was the tiger? This sentence tells us how hungry the tiger was.”
Turn and Talk
Say, “There are 6-7 groups of 3 in this class. In a few minutes you to count off to 3. After that, your team will either modify a verb, adverb or adjective. On the projector will be a list of verbs, adjectives and adverbs that you will use to create new sentences. Let’s look at the example first.”

(Show On Projector. Go over the information with the students.)

Say each team will be be assigned a box. Then your team will pick one word from each column from the box to create a sentence. Demonstrate the activity first, answer any questions. Project presentation titled, Adverbs of Degree in the Grammar Point Mini-lesson folder.)

Next, have students count off to three. Assign where their seating will be. Assign each group a letter A-G. Once they are settled get their attention again and check to see if they understand what they are expected to do. 
Link
Say, “Today and everyday, I want you to remember that just like the way we spice up nouns with descriptive sensory adjectives, we can spice up verbs by using Adverbs of Degree which answer the question of "how much?" or "to what degree?"
Teacher share
Say, “I’d like to share with the class that I saw _____ and ____ really work like a team and write some very interesting and funny sentences. Good job ____ and ______!”

On Projector:

MODIFYING A VERB
MODIFYING AN ADVERB
MODIFYING AN ADJECTIVE
Modifies the intensity of the action telling us 'how much'.
Modifies the intensity of the adverb.
Modifies quality or character.

He talks excessively all the time.

He talks extremely fast.

He is extremely talkative.

He really loves his audiences.

He communicates really well.

He is really attractive.

He hardly stops to breathe.

He reasons very quickly.

His ratings are very high.

Grammar Point Mini-lesson
Adverbs of Place
Extensive Adverbs of Place list - https://www.englishclub.com/vocabulary/adverbs-place.htm

Connection
Say, “Yesterday we learned about Adverbs of Degree, today we are going to learn about Adverbs of Place. Adverbs of Place tell us the where something happens.”
Teaching Point
Adverbs of Place tell us the place where something happens.
Teaching
Say, “Adverbs of Place tell us the place where something happens. They answer the question ‘where?’ Adverbs of Place mainly go with verbs.”

(Use the projector to show the students the chart below.)

Say, “On this chart, you will notice that there are three columns. The first column tells us the sentence, the second column tells us the question that the adverb answers and the third column, tells us the verb that goes with the adverb in that sentence.”

Turn and Talk
Say, “Now it’s your turn. I want you to create a chart in your notebook just like this one (gesture to the chart) I want you to create a column for the sentence,  the question the adverb answers and the verb that goes with the adverb. You and your partner are going to think up as many sentences as you can that contain an adverb of Place. The list of Adverbs of Place are in the the blue box below the chart. Once you write a sentence, you will keep going until you fill out each column in the chart just like this one. “

(Demonstrate how to do it a few times.)

Say, “Is there anyone who doesn't understand how to do it? If so, meet me in the meeting place and I’ll make it a little clearer for you.”

Link
Say, “Today and everyday, I want you to remember that just like the way we spice up nouns with descriptive sensory adjectives, we can spice up verbs by using Adverbs of Place which tell us the place where something happens and answer the question of ‘where?’
Teacher Share
Say, “I’d like to share with the class that I saw ________ and  ________ come up with some pretty interesting adverbs of Place sentences. ________ and ________ would you like to share your sentences? Good job ______ and _______!”

For the Projector

Place
Question
Verb
Please sit here.
Where should I sit?
sit

They looked everywhere.
Where did they look?
looked

Two cars were parked outside.
Where were two cars parked?
parked

The restaurant is nearby.
Where is the restaurant?
nearby

The kitten was hiding behind the couch.
Where was the kitten hiding?
behind

List of Adverbs of Place
away, back, behind, below, down, downstairs, east, west, north, south, elsewhere, far, here, in, indoors, inside, near, nearby, off, on, out, outside, over, there, towards, under, up, upstairs, where

Mini-lesson 1.5
Grammar Point
Adjectives (Synonyms)
Mentor Text - Many Luscious Lollipops by Ruth Heller
Connection:
Say, “Remember how we turned those boring noodle sentence into yummy spicy noodle sentences? Who remembers how we did that?”

(Pinch two fingers together like you are wiggling a wet noodle in the air.)

Say, “What am I doing?”

(Elicit response.)

Say, ”I’m wiggling a boring, bland tasting noodle in the air. What can I do to spice it up and make it taste more interesting?”

(Wait for appropriate response.)

“That’s right, we can use descriptive words or adjectives to spice up those boring, plain noodle sentences.”

Teaching Point
Writers use adjectives to create interesting sentences.

Teaching
Say, “Listen to this ‘- a WEARY, WOUNDED, BEARDED and BANDAGED tennis ace.’ (Show the page - page number unknown)

Can you pick out the adjectives? (weary, wounded, bearded, bandaged)

Writers, when you are writing, please remember that you can add spicy adjectives to nouns in order to make your sentences more interesting to the reader. If you can’t think of any adjectives when when you are writing your first draft, don’t worry. You can go back and add them later. That's why we skip lines, so we can go back and add adjectives or whatever else we need to do make our writing better.”

(Read Many Luscious Lollipops by Ruth Heller to the students. Only read to page with the umbrellas - A WET, and SOGGY, DRIZZLY day, RAINY, WINTERY and GRAY.)

Say, “Can anyone remember some of the lovely adjectives that the author used in this book?”

(Prompt the students if they can’t remember.)

Ask ,“How did the author describe the butterflies...outer space...and the lollipops? What about the tennis ace and the Christmas tree?”

Turn & Talk:
(Pass one thesaurus out to each pair. )

Say, “It’s time to recycle words again! Just like we recycle paper and plastic, we are going to make a list of adjectives that we can recycle when we are writing. I want you and your partner to open the thesaurus in front of you. On the cover of each thesaurus there is a list of words that I want you and your partner to look up. Once you locate the word in the thesaurus, list all of the synonyms associated with that word in the Descriptive Sensory Word List section in your red notebook. Turn to a fresh page in that section and get ready to write down all the adjectives you find. You have 5 minutes. One more thing, you and your partner must write one sentence using  one or more adjectives. Be prepared to share.

(Ask a student to repeat your instructions. Answer any questions pertaining to the activity.)

Ready, set...go!”

(After time is up, pick a pair to share first. Then travel around the circle until each pair has had an opportunity to share their sentences.) 

Then say, “Awesome work students! Now please remember, the next time you are writing, you can look at the Spicy Word List and recycle some of those adjectives and turn those bland, boring sentences into yummy spicy noodle sentences!”

Link:
Say, “Today and everyday, always remember to add spicy descriptive adjectives to turn bland boring noodle sentences into spicy noodle sentences. In the future, please pay attention when you are reading because you might find a spicy adjective that you will be useful in the future. When you find one you like, add it to the list in the red notebook, because you can recycle it later when you are writing.”

Teacher Share:
Say, “I’d like to share with the class that I saw _____ really do a great job of adding those spicy adjectives to the list. ____’s list was written neatly, so it will be easy for her/him to go back and find useful adjectives that she/he can recycle when she/he is writing later. Good job ____!”

Suggested Word List:

chivalrous
cheerful
cheap
blind
best
benevolent

charming
complete
compatible

deep
dear
disabled

dreary
drastic
jumbo

eternal
equivalent
fabulous

extreme
following
grubby

gross
merciful
hideous

honest
impatient
individual

juvenile
metropolis
mutual

« Last Edit: December 22, 2014, 10:37:02 AM by mlaeux »

mlaeux

• How's the water?
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2014, 10:09:42 AM »
This next bit was a bait and switch tactic my literacy coach used when a trainer came to town. I hope they may be of use to you.

Writing Informational Articles
Writers gather information and organize it in chronogical order to create a timeline of important events.

Resource: http://www.readinga-z.com/projectable/resource.php?id=207&lang=1&type=skill&ref=1

Turn and Talk Resource: http://www.softschools.com/timelines/benjamin_franklin_timeline/18/

Connection:
Say, “have you ever noticed that when you share during  Morning Meeting, you start out by telling us about what happened over the weekend? Sometimes I hear you say, “Last Friday I...On Saturday I …, On Sunday, I …” Authors do the same kind of thing when they are writing about events that happen in time order sequence or in Chronological order (Chronos means time. It’s a Greek & Latin root word.)”
Teaching Point
Writers gather information and organize it in chronogical order to create a timeline of important events.

Teaching:
Say, “In Christopher Columbus by Lola M. Schaefer, you can see that the author created a timeline of important events, but how did the author put it all together in the first place? Let’s take a look and see how the book is organized. On page 4 the author begins the timeline with the date of Christopher Columbus’ birth date. And on page 5 the author tells about Christopher columbus’ love of the sea. On page 6, the author adds another event to the timeline. It says, “around 1480 makes  voyages to sell clothe.” on page 7, the author tells us that young Christopher Columbus asked to sell clothes in “faraway places.” The author continues to build the timeline on ea every two pages by adding a new event on the timeline and then describing  the event on the next page. Each event on the timeline tells us more information about an important event in Christopher Columbus’ life. Let’s take a look at one more page and see how the author ended the timeline by flipping over to page 20. On this page the author has all important events listed on the timeline and  she ends it with his death. On Page 21, the author tells us that “He never knew he had sailed to the Americas. He thought he had found a new course to Asia. He died in Spain in 1506.” Do you think that these two statements are important? Why?

(Accept all reasonable answers.)

Turn and Talk
On the screen, you will see a paragraph about Benjamin Franklin. I want you and your partner to read the paragraph and create a timeline by finding the important events in Benjamin Franklin’s life and writing it down on the timeline.
Let’s try the first few together.”

(Model how to do it.)

Say, “Now it’s your turn. I’ll give you one minute to collect the information and write it down in a timeline format. Ready, set, turn!”

Link
Say, “Today and everyday, you can gather information and organize it in chronogical order to create a timeline of important events.

Teacher Share
Say, “I’d like to share with the class that I saw _____ really catch all the information on that fast moving timeline.! Good job ____!”

Informational Writing
Mini-lesson 1

Connection:
Say, “In our writer’s notebook have made a few lists of things we would like to write about.”

Refer to the charts of lists or ask a student to turn to their list of ideas and show it to the class.

“Today, we are going to make another list, but this list is extra special. I’ll tell you why in a minute.”

Teaching Point:
We as writers, think of lists that we are experts on.

Teaching:
Say, “Writers make lists of things they want to write about. Today, we are going to make a list about all the things we are experts on. Now, if you're say to yourself, ‘I’m not an expert in anything,’ then ask yourself, ‘What do I know a lot about?’ I bet you know a lot about something!

For example, last year, I had a student that was an expert in poison dart frogs. He knew a lot of things about poison dart frogs. I also had another student that knew a lot of stuff about megaladon (prehistoric sharks). So I’m guessing there are topics that you are interested in and know alot about too.”

Turn & Talk:
Say, “Now get ready to get with your writing buddy and talk about all the topics that you know a lot about. Then after you share them all, write them down. If you forget, one or two, that’s OK. Ask your partner to help you remember.”

Remind them of the T&T rules and then say, “Ready, set, turn!”

Link:
Say, “Today and everyday, remember that writers create lists of things they are experts on.” 

Teacher Share:
Say, “I saw that ___ & ___ are really experts on a lot of different topics. Great job! You’ll have a lot to pick from in the future.”

« Last Edit: December 22, 2014, 10:37:55 AM by mlaeux »

mlaeux

• How's the water?
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2014, 10:13:31 AM »
Informational Writing
Mini-lesson 2

Connection:
Say, “Yesterday we brainstormed about a lot of different topics that you are an expert on and made a list in your writing notebook.”

Teaching Point:
(Write on the chart or whiteboard)
We as writers, want to focus our writing on a specific topic.

Teaching:
Say, “If our writing isn’t focused, we confuse our readers. Watch me as I think of how to write with a specific topic in mind.”

Point to your head and say, “I’m thinking about writing about animals, but there are too many animals. I could write about horses, but there are too many horses, I don’t know that much about horses, but I don't know a lot about bees.”

Model how to do it making a graphic organizer/web on whiteboard or chart. (See suggestions below.)

Bees
~ make honey
~ pollinate flower and crops
~ live in hives
~ communicate to other bees by dancing
~ are mysteriously dying

Ask, “What else can we add to this graphic organizer?” Allow students to add appropriate additional information to the web.”

Turn & Talk:
Say, “Now it’s your turn. Pick one of the topics from the list of subjects that you are an expert from yesterday. and then tell your partner all the different things you know about it, in a web, just like we just did for bees.”

Link:
Say, “Today and everyday, as you sit down to write about your topic, focus on your writing by being very specific about it.”

Teacher Share:
Say, “I’d like to share with the class that I saw _____ really go into a lot of detail and get very specific on their web. Good job ____!”

Informational Writing
Mini-lesson 3.0

Connection:         
Say, “Writers, have you ever written about a subject you were very familiar with, you didn’t need to do much, or any research at all, to write on the topic? You just used your background knowledge or wrote about what you already knew.

Now, we want to take our writing one step further. Instead of just writing about what you already know, you will learn some new facts. By using that new information, you will write a new piece of expository writing.

Our purpose will be to inform our readers on a specific topic. A topic of your choice, (pending teacher approval.)”

Teaching Point:
Writers research by collecting ideas in notebooks, taking care to collect from a variety of sources.

Teaching:
Get a bunch of nonfiction books on one specific topic from the library. Make sure you have enough books so that each pair of students has a book or two.   

Say, “Writers, you see the books I have brought in to share with you today. We have a wide variety of books about (name the topic here). They are all non-fiction expository writing. Each book is different but all of these books have a lot of information about plants. When I read non-fiction I need to get my brain ready to take in new information.

Watch as I show you what you are going to do with your partner. First I will choose a book from our collection.”

Teacher chooses a book.

Model reading one page aloud.

Say, “Now I need to think about what important or interesting facts I learned from this page.”

Model finding information. Share with the students when something is interesting or worth noting.

Say, “I would like you and a partner to select one or two books to look at and we’ll share out some interesting facts together. I’ll check back with you in five minutes.”

Students select a book and fan out around the classroom to look at the books.

After five minutes say, “Okay, writers, when you share what you found, I want you to be sure that it came from the book you were looking at. Who has found something to share?”

Students share, teacher reinforces the information shared that came from text.

Say, “Writers call what you just did research. Research is a way to gather information and find answers to your questions. Writers do research when they write so that they know they know their facts are correct.”

Turn & Talk:
Say, “Soon you will get to choose another book. This time I want you to find another fact that is cool or interesting. This time, you’ll write it down in two ways.”

Model how to do it with one of the books. (Use the In My Own Words chart posted below.)

Say, “Let me show you. In this book about ___________ , the writer surprised me when she wrote,

Read an interesting passage from a preselected book.   

Say, “I didn't know that! I think it is interesting that _____________ . I will write down that fact. First, I write down what the book actually says.”

Model recording the information in your notebook.
Say, “I know how this author wrote that fact. I also want to write a sentence about what I just learned using my own words. (Teachers may want to use this as an opportunity to talk about plagiarism.) Let me think…”

Paraphrase the information contained in the passage, using your own words.

Model writing the paraphrased fact.
“Did I use all the same words as the author? (no) Did I use some of the key words? (yes) Did I change the fact or just change the words? (Just the words)
When you and your partner write down facts and paraphrases, you will do the same thing. Use your own words but keep the fact the same.”

Remind them of the turn & talk rules. Then when everyone looks like they are ready, and you’ve identified who will be going first, say “Ready, set, turn!”

Link:
Student work independently or with partners to find a piece of information to copy and paraphrase into one or two sentences in their writer’s notebook . Use the recording graphic organizer at the end of this lesson which the students can copy into their notebooks.

Create a T-chart, one half will say,“what the book/text said” on the other half will say, “my own words/paraphrase”.

Collect student facts and paraphrases for reference. Students copy completed chart into their notebooks.

Teacher Share:
Students share their sentences. One partner reads from the text, the other reads the sentence students created. Teacher and peers provide feedback.

After everyone has shared, say, “Congratulations writers, we have started to learn the skills of expository/informational writing. We will be building on these skills in the next couple of weeks. You did a great job of reading non-fiction text and rewriting it into your own words. These are skills you will use from now all the way through high school and beyond.”

Informational Writing
G4
Mini-lesson 3.0

Connection:         
Say, “Writers,  have you ever written about a subject you were very familiar with, you didn’t need to do much, or any research at all, to write on the topic? You just used your background knowledge or wrote about what you already knew.

Now, we want to take our writing one step further. Instead of just writing about what you already know, you will learn some new facts. By using that new information, you will write a new piece of expository writing.

Our purpose will be to inform our readers on a specific topic. A topic of your choice, (pending teacher approval.)”
Teaching Point:
Writers research by collecting ideas in notebooks, taking care to collect from a variety of sources.
Teaching:
Get a bunch of nonfiction books on one specific topic from the library. Make sure you have enough books so that each pair of students has a book or two.   

Say, “Writers, you see the books I have brought in to share with you today. We have a wide variety of books about (name the topic here). They are all non-fiction expository writing. Each book is different but all of these books have a lot of information about plants. When I read non-fiction I need to get my brain ready to take in new information.

Watch as I show you what you are going to do with your partner. First I will choose a book from our collection.”

Teacher chooses a book.

Model reading one page aloud.

Say, “Now I need to think about what important or interesting facts I learned from this page.”

Model finding information. Share with the students when something is interesting or worth noting.

Say, “I would like you and a partner to select one or two books to look at and we’ll share out some interesting facts together. I’ll check back with you in five minutes.”

Students select a book and fan out around the classroom to look at the books.

After five minutes say, “Okay, writers, when you share what you found, I want you to be sure that it came from the book you were looking at. Who has found something to share?”

Students share, teacher reinforces the information shared that came from text.

Say, “Writers call what you just did research. Research is a way to gather information and find answers to your questions. Writers do research when they write so that they know they know their facts are correct.”
Turn & Talk:
Say, “Soon you will get to choose another book. This time I want you to find another fact that is cool or interesting. This time, you’ll write it down in two ways.”

Model how to do it with one of the books. (Use the In My Own Words chart posted below.)

Say, “Let me show you. In this book about ___________ , the writer surprised me when she wrote,

Read an interesting passage from a preselected book.   

Say, “I didn’t know that! I think it is interesting that _____________ . I will write down that fact. First, I write down what the book actually says.”

Model recording the information in your notebook.
Say, “I know how this author wrote that fact. I also want to write a sentence about what I just learned using my own words. (Teachers may want to use this as an opportunity to talk about plagiarism.) Let me think…”

Paraphrase the information contained in the passage, using your own words.

Model writing the paraphrased fact.
“Did I use all the same words as the author? (no) Did I use some of the key words? (yes) Did I change the fact or just change the words? (Just the words)
When you and your partner write down facts and paraphrases, you will do the same thing. Use your own words but keep the fact the same.”

Remind them of the turn & talk rules. Then when everyone looks like they are ready, and you’ve identified who will be going first, say “Ready, set, turn!”
Link:
Student work independently or with partners to find a piece of information to copy and paraphrase into one or two sentences in their writer’s notebook . Use the recording graphic organizer at the end of this lesson which the students can copy into their notebooks.

Create a T-chart, one half will say,“what the book/text said” on the other half will say, “my own words/paraphrase”.

Collect student facts and paraphrases for reference. Students copy completed chart into their notebooks.

Teacher Share:
Students share their sentences. One partner reads from the text, the other reads the sentence students created. Teacher and peers provide feedback.

After everyone has shared, say, “Congratulations writers, we have started to learn the skills of expository/informational writing. We will be building on these skills in the next couple of weeks. You did a great job of reading non-fiction text and rewriting it into your own words. These are skills you will use from now all the way through high school and beyond.”

See In My Own Words T-chart below.

In My Own Words

Names:

1. As you research, watch out for interesting or cool facts.
2. Write down the interesting facts you find.
3. Then, use your own words instead of the author’s to retell that fact.

Title of the book:

Quote: What the Book or Text Says   
Paraphrase: How We Say It

My New Sentence:

In My Own Words

Names:

1. As you research, watch out for interesting or cool facts.
2. Write down the interesting facts you find.
3. Then, use your own words instead of the author’s to retell that fact.

Title of the book:

Quote: What the Book or Text Says   
Paraphrase: How We Say It

My New Sentence:

mlaeux

• How's the water?
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2014, 10:33:20 AM »
Mini-lesson 5
Informational Writing
Planning each chapter by thinking of sub-headings as individual topics

Connection:
Check for understanding, make sure the students all understand what a subheading is is before asking, “Have you ever read a nonfiction book and noticed that it is the paragraphs and pages are broken up by subheadings? Well today, we are going to learn all about using subheadings to help plan our writing.”

Teaching Point
Informational writers make a plan for each chapter by thinking of their sub-headings as individual topics

Say, “Writers make decisions about each chapter by thinking about which subheadings they want to include in their writing. Writers want to write sections that are the best for each given topic that they want their readers to learn about. Writers use subheadings as a sign or label to tell their readers what they can expect each section to be about.

Watch me as I show you what I mean. Please turn to page 235 in your reading textbook. The name of this nonfiction piece is called Komodo Dragons. What do you think this article will be about? (komodo Dragons) Now let’s turn the page and read the heading a What does it say? (Dragons or lizards?) Now let’s look at the subheading. what does it say? (Meet the komodo Dragon!) Now before we even read the first word in the first paragraph, based on the information in the subheading alone (that th’s the the red heading that says Meet the Komodo Dragon, what do you think this page is going to be about? (accept all reasonable answers) Please listen as I read the page to you aloud and while you follow along. Then you can give me a thumbs up or a thumbs down if the author did a good job of introducing you to the Komodo dragon.

When it is your turn to write, remember to make a plan for each chapter by thinking of their sub-headings as individual topics, just like Thayne Maynard did in the article, Komodo Dragons.”

Turn and Talk
Say, “Now it’s your turn. Get ready to turn and talk, please follow the buzz-well rules. You and your partner are going to turn the page and carefully read the sub heading in red. Then  you are going to take turns reading page 238. There are 4 paragraphs on page 238, so you will alternate paragraphs with your partner. The person wearing the most red will go first. Your job is to  see if the author told you about the information listed in the subheading. When you are done,  raise your thumb up in the air. Thumbs up, if the author did a good job and thumbs down, if you were confused or the information was unclear. Ready, set, turn!”

Link
Say, “Today and everyday, remember to make a plan for each chapter by thinking of your sub-headings as individual topics.”

Teacher Share
I saw that ____ and ____ were really focused on their reading and trying to get as much information out of the text as they could. ______ and ______ identified the subheading and decided that the author did tell about where the Komodo Dragons lived.”

Informational Writing
Mini-lesson 4.1

Teaching Point:
Informational texts inform and contain factual information.

Connection:                     

Say, “Recently we launched Writer’s Workshop and we wrote stories taken from a list. Some of them were true stories - those are called personal narratives. Remember writers, a narrative tells about an event in our lives and has a beginning, middle and an end. This week we will continue to explore a different type of writing called informative writing.”

(Post and point to chart as you explain informative writing - see below.)

“Informative writing always informs the reader. There are lots of different types of informative such as a biography, a report, and a how to.In our library box, we have some informative pieces such as, Julius Ceasar, Isaac Newton, Christopher Columbus and many others.”

(Explain to students that authors of informative texts purpose is to inform the reader about a particular topic using factual information.)

“The type of informative we will write is an informative article. Have you heard the word ‘article’ before?

(Make connection to newspaper or magazine articles.)

In this unit, we are going to find a topic you know about and write an article to inform our audience.”

Turn & Talk:                  
Teacher and student read examples of an informative article.

“I have two articles, one from your reading textbook and one written by a third grade student. Let’s read the _______ piece first. While reading, think about the author’s purpose and the information he or she has given the reader.”

Active Engagement (guided practice):

After reading, ask students to think about the author’s purpose and the information explained. Discuss in partners. Then with whole class. “Now partners, share what you think is the author’s purpose and tell the factual information explained.”.

Say, “As writers, it is important to understand the structure of an information article. Today, I want you to find some examples of informative texts in your reading textbook. After you have found one, share at your table:                            
The title                            
How you know it is informative?                      
The information shared.
Everyone at your table find an example of an informative text. See if you can all find a different one, there are plenty of examples in your reading textbook.”

Link:
Summarize informative chart. Reteach the idea that factual information in an informative article contains at least one main idea and the details that support it.

Say, “Tomorrow we will begin to think about possible topics for our informative articles. Writers, be thinking today and tonight about what topics you know well and which topic you might choose for an informative article.

Teacher Share:
Say, “I’d like to share with the class that I saw _____ really go into a lot of detail and get very specific on their outline. Good job ____!”

Informative Writing   (on chart)
Types   
Purpose   
Organization   
Features   
Biography
Reports
Recipes
“How to” Articles

Informative
Article
To Inform   
Introduction with clear focus statement

Body with main ideas and details

Conclusion

Captions
Illustrations
Diagrams
Charts

(on projector)

Ballet

By a student from Capitol Hill Elementary, Portland, OR

Imagine yourself in a quiet peaceful theater with a crowd of people staring at an empty stage. Then a dancer comes on. You are at a Ballet. You will learn much about Ballet if you read this article.

There are many things that make Ballet so cool. One is that the dancers mostly dance to classical music. The dancers wear tight clothing because they can stretch. If you were in jeans you couldn’t stretch. You have to stay healthy and get lots of sleep and exercise.

Are you planning to come see a Ballet, well, come in the winter you might catch the Nutcracker! It’s worth seeing.

G4
Informational Writing
Mini-lesson 5
Organizing information in a “how-to” chapter
French Toast Recipe: http://www.learnnc.org/lp/media/uploads/2013/01/frenchtoast.pdf

Connection:
Say, “How many of you have ever read a recipe in order to make something in the kitchen? Thumbs up if you have and thumbs down if  you haven’t. If you haven’t ever used a recipe before, don’t worry. I’m going to show you how to organize information by writing a ‘how-to’ recipe.”

Teaching Point:
Informational writers organize information by writing a how-to chapter.

Teaching:
Say, “Today we are going to learn how to write a ‘how-to’ recipe article. The first thing we need to do is decide, what are we going to make? I thought about it and decided that I want to share a recipe for something sweet, yummy and easy to make, so the example I’m going to use is an easy recipe for making french toast.

For recipes, we always put the title first, then we state how many servings the recipe will make. After that, we list the ingredients. After we list the ingredients, we give detailed directions on how to combine the ingredients and how to cook the food.”  (Please gesture with your arm to each specific section provided with a back up explanation in the chart below.)

Turn and Talk:
Say, “On the board is recipe listing only the ingredients. Your job is to number the directions in order. This is a NO BAKE recipe. Remember, your reader has no idea how to make Corny Crunchies.”

Link:
Say, “Today and everyday, remember that informational writers organize information by writing a step by step, how-to direction when they write recipe directions.“

Teacher Share:
Say, “I saw ____ & ____ paying close attention to the chef and taking detailed notes while they were watching the video. God job ____ & ____! I can’t wait to read your recipe directions!”

French Toast                                                                  Write the title and underline it
Makes 4 two piece servings.                                            Write the number of servings

Ingredients: Skip a line, write “Ingredients” and then list all of the ingredients below                                 
4 eggs
4 tablespoons sugar
½ cup milk
½ teaspoon cinnamon
¼ teaspoon nutmeg
4 to 6 tablespoons butter
8 slices of bread
maple syrup
powdered sugar

Directions: Skip a line, write “Directions” and then list all of the steps in order below. Don't leave any steps out and make sure your directions are as detailed as possible. Pretend you are writing the recipe for someone who  has never cooked before. Someone who has never broken and egg, or picked up a spoon to stir ingredients in a bowl before. Someone who has no idea how to cook, ANYTHING! 

1. Combine eggs, sugar, milk and spices in a bowl.
2. Put sliced bread into mixture and turn until bread is soaked.
3. Melt 4 tablespoons butter in frying pan.
4. When butter bubbles, place soaked bread in pan and brown on both sides.
5. Add additional butter to pan when needed.
6. Place two pieces on each plate, cover with real maple syrup and sprinkle with powdered sugar
If possible provide a photograph of what the completed product should look like.

Turn and Talk Ingredient List

Corny Crunchies

Ingredients:
• 2 cups popcorn, popped
• 1 cup cornflakes, crushed
• 1 cup peanuts, chopped
• 1 (12-ounce) bag of  butterscotch chips

Ask your partner, “What is the first thing we need to do? What’s the second thing we need to do? What’s the third thing we need to do?”

Hints:
You will need a large mixing bowl, a microwave, a pan and a spatula.
Did you forget anything? Look back at the example to see.

Special note: I couldn't find a copy of the Corny Crunchies recipe, but I have a screenshot of it on the original mini-lesson. Basically, they are just Rice-Crispy treats made out of corn flakes with a bit of green food coloring, shaped into little Christmas wreaths.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2014, 10:39:59 AM by mlaeux »

mlaeux

• How's the water?
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2015, 10:04:30 AM »
The "Authors as Mentors" unit is all about realistic fiction. It takes a look at popular children's authors and encourages students to use the same techniques that the author uses in order to make their writing come alive. It can be tough for ESL students to write in a second language, so I don't focus on spelling, grammar, conventions and such until we go to publish. I always tell them to just get what's in their head out onto the paper. We have a whole system in place if they misspell a word, or substitute a Spanish word because they can't think of the word in English at that particular moment in time. The idea is to not stop and go back to fix their error, but to keep on writing and then go back and clean up their mistakes later. That's also why we skip lines - to go back and insert additional text to make their writing better. There's a whole lot more that goes into it, but you get the idea.

Mini-lesson 1.0
Authors as Mentors

1.0 Writers can begin brainstorming possible Realistic Fiction stories by imagining    ordinary moments or issues in their lives.

Connection:
Say, “Remember how we learned that writers make lists of story ideas by brainstorming? Go back to you notebook page to the chart where you filled out ideas for, if I had a million dollars and the heart where we wrote about the people we care about? Well, today we are going to do the same thing, only this time we are going to use a tic-tac-toe chart to make our list.”

Teaching Point:
Writers can begin brainstorming possible Realistic Fiction stories by imagining ordinary moments or issues in their lives.

Teaching:
(Scroll down to the anchor chart and put it on the screen.)
Today we are going to make a list of Ordinary Moments When I feel Happy, Things that Annoy Me, and Things that Make Me Feel Sad and Think. I’ll go first. Under the column that says, ‘Things that Make Me Feel Sad and Think’ I’ll write, abandoned cats on the streets of China and I’ll remember a dirty, sad looking white kitty I saw curled up on the ledge of a window in downtown Weihai as I was walking down the street on the way to the noodle shop on a side street. I remember how his fur was gray and dingy with spots of dirt and grease on it. He had his eyes pressed tight, like he was trying to make himself invisible, ignoring the commotion on the sidewalk and street just a few short feet from where he slept. I remember thinking about my fat cat Bosco and how he was all cozy clean and warm at my sister’s house in Ohio. I felt sad for the dirty kitty. I soon found out that Chinese people prefer dogs over cats. Once, I asked one of my students why he didin’t like cats. He said ‘When they cry, they sound like ghosts.’”

Please note that you don’t have to stop at three things under each category, Please add more things to your list. The more you write, the more choices you have when it’s time to write.
Turn and Talk:
Say, “Next, I want you to get with your writing buddy and talk about the things that you want to put on your list. I’ll give each partner 2 minutes, for a total of 4 minutes. Switch notebooks with your partner right now.

(Wait for them to switch notebooks.)

“As you say the things, I want you to record what they say in your buddies notebook, in the correct column. If they give you more than three things, then write the extra things at the bottom of the tic-tac-toe chart. We don’t worry if it looks neat and pretty, we just want to get it all recorded in their notebook for them. We don’t talk, we write. However you may use pull the taff. Remember pull the taffy mean elaborate. Then after the 2 minutes is up, you’ll switch notebooks and repeat the process. “

After time is up say, “Give you writing buddy bake their notebook and finish up writing down any left over ideas. If you don’t have anymore ideas, go back and check their work. Did your buddy get it right? If not fix the mistake and elaborate on your ideas, so that you will remember what you were thinking the next time you look at your list.”

Set the timer for one more minute.

Link:
Say, “Today and everyday, remember that writers can begin brainstorming possible Realistic Fiction stories by imagining ordinary moments or issues in their lives.

Teacher Share:
Say, “I saw that ___ wrote down over __ things under ‘Ordinary Moments When I feel Happy.’ Great job  ___!”

Authors as Mentors
Mini-lesson 2.0
2.0 Writers include realistic story elements by asking themselves could this really happen in real life?

Connection:
Say, “Yesterday we brainstormed lots of ideas for realistic fiction stories. Please remember, everytime you get a new story idea, you can write it down below the tic-tac-toe chart so you won’t forget it and it will be there when you are ready to write about it.”

Teaching Point:
Writers include realistic story elements by asking themselves could this really happen in real life?

Teaching:
Say, “Writers, when you write realistic fiction you must remember that there are a few rules that you must follow. The first rule is to ask yourself, “Could this really happen in real life? if the answer is no, then find out why. Remove the unrealistic situation or character from your story and then ask yourself the same question, ‘Could this happen in real life?’ If the answer is ‘yes.’ The start writing your story. Let’s watch a short, one minute video about the elements of realistic fiction, so you will have a clear idea of the important elements involved in writing a realistic fiction story.”

(show video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yX5lOrDYkzs

Say, “Let’s take a closer look at some of the elements involved in writing a realistic fiction story. Please get your writer's notebook out and we can go over the information together first, before you write anything down.”

(see anchor chart below)

Turn & Talk:
Say, “Let’s listen to the story, Those Shoes by Maribeth Boelts and when the video is over, I want you and your partner discuss whether or not you think that this story could happen in real life.“
Show video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCTaAX-vRXg

“I’m going to give you and your partner 1 minute to discuss if you think this story could happen in real life and why. Be prepared to share.”

Set timer. After timer is up, call on random students.

Then say, “It’s important to remember that you can decide if your story is following the realistic story rules by asking yourself, ‘Could this happen in real life?”

Link:
Say, “Today and everyday, remember that writers include realistic story elements by asking themselves could this really happen in real life?

Teacher Share:
Say, “I saw that waited until we were done discussing the elements of realistic fiction before he/she started to copy the information into his/her notebook. You're a good listener  ___!”

Anchor Chart

Realistic Fiction Story Elements
Writers include realistic story elements by asking themselves could this really happen in real life?
The story features a plot and characters that could exist in real life.
The story’s settings are in familiar places, like in a school, in someone’s home, or in a public park.
The story takes place during modern times.
The conflict is common enough that it could happen in real life.
It shows the reader how to learn and grow.

Anchor Chart
Writers can begin brainstorming possible Realistic Fiction stories by imagining ordinary moments or issues in their lives.

A. Ordinary Moments When I Feel Happy

B. Things that Annoy Me

C. Things that Make Me Feel Sad and Think
    1.abandoned cats on the streets of China
« Last Edit: January 03, 2015, 10:36:04 AM by mlaeux »

mlaeux

• How's the water?
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2015, 10:10:41 AM »

Mini-lesson 3.0
Authors as Mentors

3.0  Writers develop a main character by thinking of the character’s likes and dislikes.

Connection:
Say, “Yesterday we learned that writers include realistic story elements by asking themselves could this really happen in real life?”

Teaching Point:
Writers develop a main character by thinking of the character’s likes and dislikes.

Say, “Telling about a character’s likes and dislikes is how writers reveal a character’s personality to the reader. This is just like what you go through yourself when you think of why you like and dislike things. Writers provide descriptive details and background information in order to help their readers understand a character’s likes and dislikes better.

Explain in detail why a character likes something:

Example 1: Priscilla loved the smell of cookies. (This sentence doesn't provide enough details or background information. We don’t know why Priscilla loves the smell of cookies. It doesn't answer what kind of cookies she likes and why she likes them.)

Compare it to this better example:

Priscilla loved the smell of chocolate cookies baking in the oven because it reminded her of the time she made chocolate chip cookies with her best friend Amanda before she moved to Chicago with her family.

Explain in detail why a character dislikes something:

Example 2: Ned doesn't like horses. (This sentence doesn’t provide enough detail or background information. It doesn't answer why Ned doesn't like horses.)

Compare it to this better example:
Ned never cared for horse. When he was five years old, his dad took him to a dude ranch in Arizona where a horse named Reggie towered over him. Need remembered crying and refusing to ‘ride’ Reggie. Reggie’s shadow loomed so large, Ned thought that he was enormous, just like an elephant and he was afraid of getting crushed by Reggie’s enormous hooves.

Writers, the more descriptive details and background information you provide for your readers, the better they will understand your characters likes and dislikes.”

(See anchor chart below. Click on the highlighted sentences/phrases and the corresponding comment will move over to the left slightly. Use the comments as talking points in order to encourage the students to provide descriptive details and background information in order to help their readers understand a character’s likes and dislikes. Have them copy the anchor chart and corresponding questions down in their notebooks so they can refer back to it often to give themselves  ideas on how to provide descriptive details and background information to help their reader understand their character’s likes and dislikes.)

Turn & Talk:
Just like Priscilla loved the smell of chocolate cookies baking in the oven because it reminded her of a happy memory, I want  you to get with your writing buddy and discuss your main character's likes and dislikes. Be descriptive. If you can’t think of the word you want to use in English, write down the Spanish word and then look it up in the dictionary when time is up. If you need a dictionary, you can borrow mine. Just make sure you put it back so it will be there the next time you want to use it. Ready, set, turn!”

Link:
Say, “Remember, today and everyday, writers develop a main character by thinking of their character’s likes and dislikes.”

Teacher Share:
Say, “I saw that ___ & ___ really dig into the reason why their characters liked ____. Good Job ____ & ____ providing descriptive details and background information will really help your readers understand your character better.”

Anchor Chart

Writers develop a main character by thinking of the character’s likes and dislikes.

If you don’t provide enough descriptive details, then your reader may not understand your character.

(Let’s look at the examples together.)

Explain in detail why a character likes something:
Priscilla loved the smell of chocolate cookies baking in the oven because it reminded her of the good times she had when she made chocolate cookies with her best friend Amanda before Amanda moved away to Chicago with her family.

Explain in detail why a character dislikes something:
Ned never cared for horse. When he was five years old his dad took him to a dude ranch in Arizona where a horse named Reggie towered over him. Ned remembered crying and refusing to ‘ride’ Reggie. Reggie’s shadow loomed so large, Ned thought that he was enormous, just like an elephant and he was afraid of getting crushed by Reggie’s huge hooves.

mlaeux

• How's the water?
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2015, 10:12:04 AM »

Mini-lesson 4.0
Authors as Mentors

4.0 Writers show their character’s feelings by using spicy descriptive words.

Connection:
Say, “Yesterday we learned that writers develop a main character by thinking of the characters likes and dislikes.”

Teaching Point:
4.0 Writers show their character’s feelings by using spicy descriptive words.

Teaching:
Say, “ ‘Fiona didn’t like that Joe was acting so grouchy and bossy. She felt that he had become even more bossy and intimidating since he took over as the head of their study group.’

Or

‘Fiona didn’t like the way Joe was acting.’ (How was Joe acting? We don’t know because the writer doesn't tell us.)

Which examples gives more spicy words, background information and details so that the reader can understand what is happening more fully?

Let’s take a look at the first example (see anchor chart below) and pick out all the spicy descriptive words that will help your reader understand what you are trying to say more clearly.

(Scroll down to the anchor chart and use the cursor to  highlight the descriptive spicy words in the two example sentences.)

Let’s look at another example, ‘Joe didn’t like that Fiona was acting so timid and shy. He felt that she was the most studious and intelligent girl in the class.’

or ‘Joe didn’t like the way Fiona was acting.’ (How was Fiona acting? We don’t know because the writer doesn't tell us.)

Let’s pick out all the spicy descriptive words in this sentence that will help your readers understand what the you are trying to say more clearly.

Get ready, because it’s going to be your turn next.”

Turn & Talk:
Say, “I’m going to set the timer, but you won't know for how many minutes. That’s a secret. You and your writing buddy will write down as many sentences as you can using the spicy descriptive words on the character trait chart. (https://docs.google.com/document/d/13NjEb7RzjKQX01qKsOwcDKv8FGRuRzaKBLMYSqzKuSg/edit?usp=sharing)

Then you and your partner will decide on which sentence is the best one. Then decide which partner will share the sentence with the rest of the class.

Link:
Say, “Remember, today and everyday, writers show their character’s feelings by using spicy descriptive words.”

Teacher Share:
Say, “I saw that ___really do a great job of describing their character’s feelings and provide descriptive details and background information will really help your readers understand your character better.”

Fiona didn’t like that Joe was acting so grouchy and bossy. She felt that he had become even more bossy and intimidating since he took over as the head of their study group.

Joe didn’t like that Fiona was acting so timid and shy. He felt that she was the most studious and intelligent girl in the class.

mlaeux

• How's the water?
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2015, 10:13:06 AM »

5.0 Mini-lesson
Authors as mentors

5.0  Writers describe their main character’s internal character traits by thinking about what their character thinks and what emotions they feel.

Connection:
Say, “Have you ever read a story where the author really made you feel what the main character was feeling? Turn and tell your partner everything you can remember about what that character was feeling and why. People with most white on go first. Ready, set, turn! ”

Teaching Point:
Writers describe their main character’s internal character traits by thinking about what their character thinks and what emotions they feel.

Teaching:
Say, “Have you ever read a story about a character that you could identify with, even though the story wasn't true. Show me the ‘yes finger’ if you can identify with Peter in Tales of a 4th Grade Nothing? What about the character Greg in The Diary of a Wimpy Kid?

The characters in those stories, weren’t real characters, but they felt like they were real because we understood their feelings. The author described how the characters felt and you knew how they felt. Let’s watch the first minute and a half of a video that tells you about how you should write your realistic fiction characters.
(show video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=su3R-igFFtQ, only watch for :01 to 1:21)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ezbssw11724

Turn and Talk:
Say, “Get with your writing buddy. The person wearing the most blue will go first, if you both are wearing the same amount of blue, than the person with the most white will go first. Tell your writing buddy about a time when you read a story about a character that wasn’t real, but you identified with their feelings and why.”

Set the timer for 1 minute.

Say, “You each have 1 minute to tell your partner. Ready partner one (press timer) go!” after the minute is up. Reset the timer and allow partner number two to go next.

After both partners have had a chance to go - say, “Get your writer’s notebook out and either continue writing on the story you were working on yesterday or pick another idea from the tic-tac-toe chart.”

Link:
Say, “today and everyday, please remember that writers describe their main character’s internal character traits by thinking about what their character thinks and what emotions they feel.”

Teacher Share:
Say, “I saw that ___ really identified with __ in the book _____ . Great job  ___!”

Anchor Chart
In realistic fiction :
All characters are believable.
The main character is the most important character in the story.
The main character has feelings and problems that might be very similar to your own, but even if they aren’t like your own, you can still identify with the character.