What's in the News

• 2873 replies

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
Re: What's in the News
« Reply #450 on: April 21, 2008, 06:04:29 PM »
It DID make me laugh!!  Just the really matter-of-fact Oz way of putting it had me in hysterics!

But I liked your 'gross' pun as well. (You did mean it didn't you ...?)

« Reply #451 on: April 21, 2008, 06:40:00 PM »
I have to confess, it was unintentional  ahahahahah ahahahahah ahahahahah
It is too early to say.

Monkey King

« Reply #452 on: April 21, 2008, 07:05:03 PM »
If you are lucky enough to have (bootleg) cable, you probably get CNN international:

CNN reporter in sex, rope and drug scandal

Quest - who is known for his boisterous and quirky style...

Quite.  This is only really funny if you have seen him on TV - he kind of plays on his eccentric English gentleman abroad type character.  I always suspected he was a bit more mental than he let on.

« Reply #453 on: April 21, 2008, 07:44:50 PM »
I was quite shocked when I read that Australia was catching up with us and the Yanks in the obesity stakes.  I thought you lot were much more 'active'...
We were,until the Government started handing out more "sit down money", to coin an Aboriginal phrase.
There is however plenty of activity going on between the sheets afafafafaf since the "baby bonus" has gone up to about $Aus5000. bfbfbfbfbf

Bugalugs

• If we are what we eat, I'm easy, fast, and cheap.
« Reply #454 on: April 23, 2008, 11:48:42 PM »
Knighthood for Wills 'leaves Howard in cold'

John Howard's chances of being knighted appear to have been scuttled by Prince William.

Rumours have circulated since the beginning of the year that the Queen had personally chosen Howard, a staunch monarchist during his four terms as Prime Minister, to become a Royal Knight of the Garter.

However, Prince William has instead been selected as the Garter's 1000th knight, following the honour his father Prince Charles received fifty years ago, according to news.com.au.

If Howard was disappointed in missing out, he wasn't showing it today - claiming he actually knew nothing about the rumours.

"It's news to me," the Sydney Morning Herald reported Howard as saying when asked about the possible knighthood.

The announcement will be officially made tomorrow Australian time — keeping in line with a St George's Day tradition.

Really hope he doesn't get Knighted. A staunch monarchist, bloody hell he was nowt but a brown noser.
Good girls are made from sugar and spice, I am made from Vodka and ice

Do you have and ID Ten T error??

« Reply #455 on: April 24, 2008, 02:25:28 AM »
Knight of the Garter...come on, would you really want to be one? What's next? Lord of the Frilly Dress? High Steward of the Pink Stiletto Heels? Grand Marshal of the Red Thong?

They made Cliff Richard a Knight...and Elton John...the latter just turned the whole knighthood into a mockery. I mean, does anyone really think "Elton John" when they hear the word 'knight'?
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

"It's all oojah cum spiffy". Bertie Wooster.
"The stars are God's daisy chain" Madeleine Bassett.

George

• My view of China
« Reply #456 on: April 24, 2008, 02:36:25 AM »
Howard's idol was Robert Menzies.....who became a knight...and Warden of the Cinque Ports, for what that's worth. Howard wants to emulate the greatest QE2 brown-noser of all time.
" I did but see her passing by, and yet I love her till she kick the bucket".
The higher they fly, the fewer!    http://neilson.aminus3.com/

« Reply #457 on: April 24, 2008, 02:52:45 AM »
Knights in white satin...

when ur a roamin', do as the settled do o_0

« Reply #458 on: April 24, 2008, 02:55:08 AM »
 ahahahahah ahahahahah ahahahahah bkbkbkbkbk bkbkbkbkbk Damn you! Coffee all over my desk!
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

"It's all oojah cum spiffy". Bertie Wooster.
"The stars are God's daisy chain" Madeleine Bassett.

Bugalugs

« Reply #459 on: April 24, 2008, 03:22:05 AM »
The best i have seen the 'Queen' look :D

Bugalugs

« Reply #460 on: April 24, 2008, 04:21:51 PM »
Damn shame, Little Johnny missed the mark again...

Former Australian prime minister John Howard appears to have missed out on joining a prestigious British order of knights.

Speculation mounted earlier this year that Howard might be appointed a Knight Companion of the Most Noble Order of the Garter - the oldest order of British chivalry - when Queen Elizabeth II announced any new additions.

Howard was a staunch monarchist during his term as Australia's second longest-serving prime minister.

The deaths of former British prime minister Sir Edward Heath and Mount Everest conqueror Sir Edmund Hillary left two places open in the exclusive order.

But the Queen announced on Wednesday those vacancies would be filled by Lord Luce, who was Lord Chamberlain from 2000 to 2006, and Sir Thomas Dunne, Lord-Lieutenant of Hereford since 1977 and chairman of the Lord Lieutenants Association.

Their appointments take the number of Companion Knights to the maximum 24.

The Queen also announced her grandson, Prince William, would join other members of his family as a Royal Knight Companion of the Most Noble Order of the Garter.

Members of the Royal family are additional to the 24 Knights Companion.

New members of the order, established in 1348 by Edward III, are customarily announced on St George's Day, England's national day on April 23.

Its emblem is a blue ribbon or garter worn by men below the left knee and women on the left arm.

Each year in June a procession and service take place at Windsor Castle for the order.

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
« Reply #461 on: April 24, 2008, 04:25:55 PM »
That's a damn shame - he'd have looked so sweet wearing a bit of blue ribbon tied on his suit pants.  I bet he wouldn't have taken it off to go to bed!

« Reply #462 on: April 25, 2008, 10:52:29 PM »
What the hell is going on around this country? First 14 stupid lawyers sue CNN and Cafferty for 1400RMB in Beijing (cheap lawyers). Now their suing for $1.3 billion in New York.

I come from the most litigious state in America. This is ridiculous. I'm waiting for the counter-suits.

Also, if this is successful, can we start suing the Chinese for rude remarks toward us foreigners? I'd like to sue that jackass who called my wife a traitor for marrying a foreigner.
"I don't need to compromise my principles, because they don't have the slightest bearing on what happens to me anyway." -Calvin
3 greatest things in the world in one website: http://www.boozefoodtravel.com
http://www.TotalTaipei.com
My Taipei travel guide: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073RSMVG

Shroomy

« Reply #463 on: April 25, 2008, 11:32:45 PM »
Would you mind telling me who is suing who for what?  No ranting without newsing first. bibibibibi
Back home and still confused about what the locals are saying.

AMonk

« Reply #464 on: April 25, 2008, 11:42:35 PM »
Would you mind telling me who is suing who for what?  No ranting without newsing first. bibibibibi

US TV-news station CNN has a "reporter" commentator surnamed Cafferty who said that China is being run by thugs.  No doubt, the lawsuit(s) stems from that remark.  I believe that a retraction/apology was demanded by the Chinese government, along with Cafferty's firing....which hasn't happened so far.
Moderation....in most things...