• Home
  • Search
    •  
  • Login
    • Username: Password:

Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Oral English textbook for college students  (Read 6959 times)

xwarrior

• Barfly
Oral English textbook for college students
« on: December 09, 2009, 02:48:56 PM »
Can anyone recommend an Oral English textbook for low-level college students? Preferably one not written by a Chinese professor.
For the last 5 years I have been teaching so-called "Business English" and have lost contact with other texts. I can vaguely remember that a group of foreign teachers at a training school in China put out a pretty good textbook.   
I have my standards. They may be low, but I have them.
- Bette Midler

dragonsaver

• Global Moderator
Re: Oral English textbook for college students
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2009, 12:34:34 AM »
You could use 'New Interchange', it combines speaking, grammar related to the chapter and some writing.  They have several levels. Beginner, Book 1, Book 2, and Book 3. You would do best with Book 1.  I have used this at one Joint Venture University.  There is a teacher's book with test questions and hints for teaching and expanding on each chapter.

Also, you can add supplementary stuff from the Internet.  Similar pairs etc for pronunciation practice.

I teach Grade 1, College English, Listening and Speaking.  It is basically a conversation/listening type text book.  Dialogues, listening - where you read and they listen and fill out answers.  This is a standard University Textbook in China.  CD with the text is in 'British English'.  There is a teacher's book.
Be kind to dragons for thou are crunchy when roasted and taste good with brie.

xwarrior

• Barfly
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2009, 02:56:40 AM »
Thanks Dragonsaver. I have always liked the New Interchange approach to an integrated programme and I can drag enough 'oral' out of it to create lessons. At this stage I am still waiting for the so-called Leader to tell me a few basic details. like the level of student and when the classes start. I do not mind waiting!!   
I have my standards. They may be low, but I have them.
- Bette Midler

Tree

• Barfly
  • This personal text is false.
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2014, 07:17:41 AM »
We're having an "emergency" meeting tomorrow morning to discuss options for the incoming freshman's English textbook.

This is the second post so far on Raoul's that has mentioned this specific textbook. Since this thread is about 5 years old, would anybody recommend using this one, or can you recommend something better?

More searching turned up these titles as well:

Original English File from Oxford University Press

New Concept English

New Headway series
« Last Edit: September 20, 2014, 07:29:25 AM by Tree »
The greatest and most important problems of life are all in a certain sense insoluble. They can never be solved, but only outgrown.
- Jung

cruisemonkey

• Barfly
  • You could be next.
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2014, 09:40:42 PM »
Side by Side. I use this series (4 books) with my low level, 'Design' major students.
The Koreans once gave me five minutes notice - I didn't know what to do with the extra time.

bobrage

• Barfly
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2014, 04:36:14 AM »
I use the integrated textbook from Simon Greenall in my speaking classes as we don't have AV for those lessons and their speaking textbook requires it.  I think their series is pretty good.

http://item.jd.com/1200295375.html

Tree

• Barfly
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2014, 06:09:01 AM »
Well I did a few hours of prepwork, only to find when I showed up it wasn't that kind of meeting at all. We are going to use Pearson-Longman's ulearning platform, and now I get to "sell" it to the other dozen foreign teachers, just like the deputy director who held the meeting got to "sell" it to me.

It could be worse. There're a lot of tools available, but it's 'click through' nature will not do anything to improve the teaching or classroom interactions. It's an upgrade from some of the schlock that we've been dished previously, but if things keep going this way there'll be less and less room for teachers.

Demonstrate value or die right?
The greatest and most important problems of life are all in a certain sense insoluble. They can never be solved, but only outgrown.
- Jung

latefordinner

• Barfly
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2014, 02:45:49 PM »
not being acquainted with the latest, I'll ask. What exactly is a "ulearning platform"? How do i climb onto one, and is it safe to jump off when I get there?

Perhaps I've been too long in this racket, and am due for time in the classroom updating my meagre skillset (and learning the latest buzztalk), but I look back at what people were saying 5 years ago and think yup, there's a lot of good there. I have a healthy respect for Jack Richards and Steven Molinsky and Penny Ur. They changed my soiled nappies when I was learning this trade, while George and Gonzo kept the dinosaurs away.

I suppose you should be grateful that a deputy-director has actually taken an interest in what gets taught and the materials used to support a teaching program (hey, even knowing that he works at a college/uni and that teaching is involved, that alone is something), but I am curious that you chose to use the verb sell, and to put it in arch quotation marks. That sets off low-level buzzing from my BS alarm.

Tree

• Barfly
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2014, 02:42:55 AM »
It's an entirely online English platform - this means class management software, interactive lesson plans [video role plays, etc.] and a wide variety of comprehension checking activities up to and including chapter and final tests. It's an embarrassment of riches compared to what is usually available, and I'm looking forward to integrating it into my classrooms.

But that's the angle that set off my own BS alarm. It would be so so easy for a teacher to just load up the program and click the right arrow button for 90 minutes. If the program is great, why not hire Western students or Chinese English major seniors to run it? There is a double-edged silver lining - the online management software will track relevant statistics from the students such as time spent, average number of tries, and overall grade. We'll get to see what, if any, impact teaching style will make on these numbers. This could be great, or awful.

As for the "sell" intuition - it felt as if criticisms of the program were met with as much aplomb as Superman in a stick fight, such as: not having any free-form writing activities - they are all drag and click, there is a speech recorder but it doesn't provide feedback so a recording of static will complete the task as well as honest attempts, the fact that there is no iOS support so students with Apple products can't do in class on platform activities, or the biggest one - please how to do in the classrooms with awful awful internet k thx.

Overall, a mixed blessing. The students and teachers are getting an upgraded resource, and the admin will now have permanent online statistics to use about the foreign teachers.

- Jung

eggcluck

• Barfly
  • Still standing
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2014, 08:02:51 AM »
I have used this kind of software before, within a week I was bored to tears just pushing buttons and getting the kiddies to repeat what was on the screen. I just felt like a useless third wheel. Not to mention I did not find the content particularity inspiring and nor did I feel that it added value to improving oral abilities since it was all just listen and repeat. And the requirement of 5 minutes on x and no more no less did not allow me to focus on problem areas..or allow me to skip over easier areas.

In short I hated it. So far this semester for the first few lessons I have been using chalk and black board and heaven forbid using what I have stored in ma wee little head and to be frank it has been going a lot better now I have "teched down". The students have to interact to get anywhere rather than copy slides in zombie mode. Yes it may mean more work/creativeness from me, but at the end of the day that is what I am being paid to do. I also want to be good at what I do and put some effort in.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2014, 08:13:38 AM by eggcluck »
Still standing

Tree

• Barfly
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2014, 10:09:36 AM »
Yea so far it seems this type of platform has a high "keen to zombie" tendency. Great post btw, its encouraging to hear about others making effort.

Had another "emergency" meeting but this time the department leader from the English department was there weighing in against the other deputy director. I guess the English department already placed an order for a different "analog" textbook.

Methinks this situation is much like the situation where somebody applied to double the amount of foreign staff without providing extra help to the FAO nor communicate with the logistics department as to where these new teachers will live.
- Jung

Borkya

• Barfly
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2014, 11:21:41 PM »
Well I did a few hours of prepwork, only to find when I showed up it wasn't that kind of meeting at all. We are going to use Pearson-Longman's ulearning platform, and now I get to "sell" it to the other dozen foreign teachers, just like the deputy director who held the meeting got to "sell" it to me.

Hey, I have to use this too! They must be greasing the right peoples palms because it is a new system at my school.

The good thing is I don't have to use it in class. I can just tell the students to do it by themselves after class. But to show them how to use the system we did the first lesson together n class. Seven times in one week I was ready to kill myself watching and doing the same thing over and over.

But, the good thing is me and the other foreign teacher I work with are coming up with a really dirty back story between Talia and Nick (two of the characters in the book.) It helps if you can mock the materials.