Changing ur dns servers

• 10 replies
Changing ur dns servers
« on: April 20, 2014, 07:11:44 PM »
Does anyone else do this? I have--I don't even know what kind of internet--I plug an ethernet cable into the wall. (It used to be plugged directly into the computer but these days I have: wall > Ethernet cable > WiFi router > another Ethernet cable > computer.) In any case, the service provider is Chinese, obviously, so the default Domain Name Server is Chinese too. But as of yesterday I've instructed my wifi modem to eschew ISP-provided DNS servers. I've required the router to use 8.8.8.8 (with 8.8.4.4 as backup) - a DNS service provided by Google. (Whether it's redundant or not, I also did the following in Win 7: Control Panel > Network and Sharing > Change adapter settings > Local Area Connection - (right click) Properties > Internet protocol Version 4 > Properties > Use following DNS server addresses > [type in the google dns addresses])

Does it actually make any difference though? Seems like some connections are a little slower, and some a little faster. I doesn't knows.

« Last Edit: April 20, 2014, 07:17:56 PM by Calach Pfeffer »
when ur a roamin', do as the settled do o_0

opiate

Re: Changing ur dns servers
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2014, 09:45:53 PM »
Check out this article about NameBench.
Then find out if you're getting any improvement.

Supposedly you can access geoblocked content if you change your DNS server to something local. For example, hop on a US based DNS server to hit up netflix. Not sure if that works or not since I never tried it.

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2014, 12:07:28 AM »
Downloaded Namebench. Started it. An hour later, it's either stalled or not finished doing it's thing. I'll turn it on again over night and see what happens tomorrow.

xwarrior

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2014, 12:32:23 PM »
Some years ago old34 put me on to the G**gle path of 8.8.8.8 and I have been on it ever since. Mainly, because I never get around to finding my back to changing it to anything else ... and that is mainly because it is one of those obscure operations that falls into the category of 'let sleeping dogs lie' or 'do not prod sleeping students with a stick until the end of the period.' 

Anyway, my impression of this DNS is exactly the same as your initial impression -
Seems like some connections are a little slower, and some a little faster. I doesn't knows

I think the main thing about using this DNS was that it cut out someone running interference on stuff you were trying to look at and at that time by changing to 8.8.8.8 my problem was solved.

old34 knows more than me on this.

PS If you use Google to search for something like the number '4' it will throw up something like
About 22,100,000 results (0.12 seconds)

Now try searching for information about '8.8.8.8'

agagagagag
I have my standards. They may be low, but I have them.
- Bette Midler

BrandeX

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2014, 07:19:24 PM »
China messes with connections to Google servers too much. I use OpenDNS servers instead.

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2014, 03:43:08 AM »
I wondered about the google servers too. So, trying the OpenDNS servers today. At first I was like, that's slow, then I was like, that's fast. I suspect them of screwing the operation of my intermittent Vacilating Public Nuisance too. But I don't know if that's how it works. Shall know more after a couple of days.

xwarrior

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2014, 10:40:04 AM »
This (plus the one comment) from 2010 may (or may not) help explain the fast/slow performance of the two systems

http://apcmag.com/why-using-google-dns-opendns-is-a-bad-idea.htm
I have my standards. They may be low, but I have them.
- Bette Midler

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2014, 02:37:23 PM »
Presently I'm seeing an inconsistently snappier browsing experience. Unless changing to OpenDNS servers coincided with some fix in the local service, pages seem to be loading more briskly - to the point that when they don't, something looks wrong. Haven't performed any serious downloads yet.

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2014, 07:11:31 PM »
Interesting result: Zite works properly again.

Using the default DNS (which in my case appears to be located in Changsha), Zite, a magazine-like program that aggregates news according to topics, would normally crap out after loading three topics worth of headings. Also, it'd usually not load the snap shot pics that went with the entries. Using OpenDNS, the seven topic sections I have set up load promptly and with pics.

And presently a direct download of a 198Mb zip file (I would ordinarily use a download manager) is chugging along nicely.

I'd rather not jinx it, but this OpenDNS seems to be a good idea.

BrandeX

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2014, 01:00:01 AM »
DNS servers are what converts the "name" you type in of an URL, to the sites actual IP address number. After it has looked that up and established the connection (under a secon usually) it is generally no longer being accessed on that page (except embedded items from other URL's). Your d/l speeds will not be related to anything regarnig DNS servers. One reason to use the non-default DNS server, is that some reports have indicated removing the "name\IP reference" from Chinese ISP DNS servers is one blocking method used here.

The comment posted at the bottom explains it better.

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2014, 12:23:45 PM »
OpenDNS basically isn't working for me anymore. Currently looking at Level3

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/tipstricks/a/free-public-dns-servers.htm