• Home
  • Search
  • Login
    • Username: Password:

      Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: STUDENT VISA PROCESS  (Read 1198 times)


  • Ain't Said Much Yet
  • Posts: 2
« on: November 14, 2013, 02:54:21 AM »
I would like to study the Chinese language in Chengdu using a X1 Visa.  I have reviewed the board's basic information on visas.  Most of that information appears to be focused on Z visas.  I would like to obtain that type of in-depth information for a student visa.  With that, any tips, pointers, advice, regulatory information, or recommendations it will all be appreciated.

My basic questions are:

1.  Is it feasible to contact schools online, email, etc. to attempt to get accepted to a program. 

2.  Do schools do that or do they want to see you in person before assisting with visa?

3.  When should the tuition payment take place in the process?   

4.  Is paying the tuition before obtaining a visa an accepted/usual practice?  I am leery of paying anything until I have a visa.

5.  Is there a particular school that is known for being particularly helpful in getting a visa?

6.  Do you know a point of contact that I could work with to get my visa before I come to Chengdu?

Once again, I thank you in advance for any information you can provide me.


  • Barfly
  • *
  • Posts: 1354
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2013, 05:16:24 AM »
If you want to learn chinese a school is gonna help you get you a visa no problem. They want your money, money, money and your foreign face to make their campus more "international."

All schools, if they have a program for foreigners to study chinese, will have their own procedures and policies over how/when etc. In most cases I think you have to apply, be accepted, pay tuition and the last step is getting your visa. It's because if you don't pay then they are not sure you are definitely coming. As long as it is a reputable school, they should have a tuition refund policy that you should check out before forking over your cash, but you will probably have to pay most, if not all, up front.

You might be nervous because getting a Z visa is harder and more complicated, and you've been reading about that. But for the most part student visas are much easier to get. Even in america my chinese friends have no problem getting a student visa, but when the same people want to go back later to travel, or to get a job, it gets trickier. So don't worry and let the school deal with most of it for you. After all, you ARE paying them.  bfbfbfbfbf

Day Dreamer

  • Barfly
  • *
  • Posts: 4430
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2013, 05:35:56 AM »
You don't need to say it here, but if you are from either a Big 6 English country or a very developed one, then the schools will be salivating over you. Add on top of that if you decide to study a subject other than language, then you're gold.

In the unis where I've worked, most foreign students in China tend to come from places like Russia, African countries, and many East European ones. Don't take this as being dismissive, it's just that in English countries, it's easy to find Chinese language schools.

Worry not, just check out the school before you put your X on the form
For you to insult me, first I must value your opinion