Nanjing & cost of things

• 6 replies

eggcluck

• Still standing
Nanjing & cost of things
« on: October 19, 2013, 01:32:30 AM »
Well I may end up here but on just 4800 RMB a month. There are so few pickings available right now and the current employer is not particularly gracious so ...

I may be just desperate enough to accept this. It is usual Uni contract with apartment etc etc. So that considered , will this salary be enough for Nanjing? AT least to keep me ticking over so I can escape where I am and keep going while looking for something better.
Still standing

kitano

• Children of the Atom
Re: Nanjing & cost of things
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2013, 04:55:32 PM »
In defense of the salaries, the seem to usually include a furnished apartment with utilities which is an extra 2 or 3k a month in a big city like Nanjing, and not usually more than 20 teaching hours so not much worse than training centers overall
Training centers are also pretty crappy salaries as well though lol

piglet

• Piglet's House
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2013, 10:55:44 PM »
I would say that the advantage of Uni is that it's relatively few hours so u can always get "part time jobs" on the side to boost your salary and that is flexi time so you can adjust as you wish.It leaves you more time for other stuff.Training schools give a higher salary but also many more hours.
For people who like peace and quiet - a phoneless cord

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2013, 11:39:14 PM »
I think the hours gap between private and public is closing somewhat. Unis used to be pretty sweet deals because you could have a contract max of 10-12 hours a week. Now closer to 20 seems to be more and more the norm for unis as well. It is the rare school, public or private, that requires more than 20 lessons a week. Training schools might not be the best environment overall and lots of people prefer unis for other reasons, but it is getting harder and harder to excuse that kind of pay. It is really pathetic that there are schools whose salaries haven't budged in the last 10 years. Nanjing is a large east coast city, not a 1st tier, but not a backwater podunk either. No excuse for them to be offering less than 5000 a month in 2013.

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2013, 06:24:56 AM »
I agree. I lived in Nanjing for two years but I worked for a private school mill which payed a decent salary. The place I loved was in downtown xinjieko at the cost of the apartment was 2700 a month! I wish you the best of luck! Find some lucrative part time work and don't frequent the western establishments or go to starbucks everyday.

eggcluck

• Still standing
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2013, 11:02:42 PM »
Thanks for the replies.

I am in somewhat of a beggars cant be choosers type of situation. I am aware the salary sucks but I only have one other offer and that is a kindergarten in Zhangjiagang at 40 hours for 8000 a month with 12:30 to 14:00 for lunch/prep time.

Those are my choices. After 40 applications I got just two offers :( and only 4 were interested in inquiring more about me.  

The kindergarten wants a teacher now and has three other applicants, they offered a job and want a decision now. The Uni well I am still in the process so there is no guarantee. If I say no to the kindy then it is all or nothing with the Nanjing uni. If they say no, I will have to leave the country as there are no other options for me.

I am leaning towards the kindy as even though it is not great pay for the hours (though not all teaching some is just taking care of the kids in English) and the location is a little isolated but not something I am not used to. They do want me and is thus guaranteed should I say yes...I hope.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2013, 11:08:37 PM by eggcluck »
Still standing

eggcluck

• Still standing
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2013, 11:33:50 PM »
In some good news they said they are going to wage the salary to 5500 for the coming centre and the campus accomadation is pretty smack bang in the centre of Nanjing near Minguggong metro stop which is a tourist area with meihuashan a short walk away.

*off topic a bit* This does make the deal seem a little better. To date I have a children's training centre offer in Kunshan.( been there done that, would rather not again for at least a year) I have told them I may not accept the offer depending on what happens with the Nanjing place but they are insisting on trying to arrange a time for me to come and sign the contract  bibibibibi. Then there is the kindy with that aside it seems like a decent place and the kids are a mix of western and Chinese kids though the local is somewhat isolated I am coming to the end of a 2 year stint in a 4th tier city (albeit a modern one) I would like something a bit bigger and livelier to get a break! * back to topic*

Given the location of the accommodation and the salary increase for about a 10 hour week. Does this seem much more reasonable? with a "10 hour week" I could always get some part time work..I hope. That is if all those international students that I hear populate Nanjing are not doing them all.
Still standing