Is any Telco better than the rest?

• 4 replies
Is any Telco better than the rest?
« on: August 23, 2013, 03:28:50 AM »
I have searched here for info and couldn't find much so hopefully I'm not repeating someone else's questions.

Looking at SIM cards today from different telco's - no one spoke much English so I was a bit confused by the end of the day.

Does anyone have a preferred Telco? I'll only be using this card in China and don't expect to be making lots of calls or SMSs. I still use Skype for my Aus and US contacts.
I've fallen in love with the world.....

Re: Is any Telco better than the rest?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2013, 09:13:16 AM »
The most common is China Mobile and my students and Chinese colleagues have tended to use this. If you are on the same carrier, you can often have free or discounted calls or texts to others in your area via a "short number" (truncated part of your mobile number) so it pays to be in the majority. If you want to surf online, many seem to say go with China Unicom.  I just text and call within China (no Internet as for the time being) so I've been with China Mobile.  In any case, bring someone with you to translate who can explain the different options available.

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2013, 03:39:41 PM »
Selecting a phone carrier (in any country) is sort of like choosing between catching ebola or bubonic plague.
I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com

NATO

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2013, 03:45:36 PM »
In terms of data, China Mobile uses the homegrown version of the international technology. This, predictably, leads to poor performance. China Unicom use the international standard and as such their data speeds are much faster. One of my friends recently switched so that he could listen to the test-match Cricket whilst out walking the dog.

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2013, 10:07:59 PM »
I went for Unicom as they had the best deal here - now all I have to do is learn Chinese so I know what I am doing with the darn thing!  Why can't phones keep the English where I had the English?
I've fallen in love with the world.....