School Insists on L Visa??

• 22 replies

SpV

Re: School Insists on L Visa??
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2013, 09:18:22 PM »
TDL (for your friend) and LoveSasa, Shane are in need of teachers right now, visa's are all legit and they pay for a trip to HK if you are already in China and need a Z visa (as I was)

If you want any more info feel free to PM me.

« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2013, 09:43:13 PM »
http://yunnan.caiep.org/

The first link down the right hand side with "2012" in the title is a .doc file which lists the work units in Yunnan approved to hire palefaces.

I would actually give it even odds that your prospective (original) employer is listed there - just out of curiosity, let me know.

cruisemonkey

• You could be next.
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2013, 12:06:28 AM »
Rule #1 - don't deal with recruiters (I'm assuming "the visa guy in Beijing" is a recruiter).

Rule #2 - don't buy your ticket until you have the Z visa in your passport.
The Koreans once gave me five minutes notice - I didn't know what to do with the extra time.

« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2013, 10:29:24 PM »
Rule #1 - don't deal with recruiters (I'm assuming "the visa guy in Beijing" is a recruiter).

Um... Not a recruiter, thanks. The school hired me directly, and subcontracted the visa process. Their main branch is in Beijing.

Rule #2 - don't buy your ticket until you have the Z visa in your passport.

Hindsight. As I've mentioned above, I was under the impression the Z visa was being processed at the point I bought my ticket. I waited until prices started to jump by US$100+ per day... I still have the option of cancellation, albeit with a huge fee.
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do....Explore. Dream. Discover."
- Mark Twain

« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2013, 10:32:21 PM »
http://yunnan.caiep.org/

The first link down the right hand side with "2012" in the title is a .doc file which lists the work units in Yunnan approved to hire palefaces.

I would actually give it even odds that your prospective (original) employer is listed there - just out of curiosity, let me know.

Thanks much for the link! I'll look through it and let you know if they're listed. There are a number of similarly named schools, so I'll have to take a closer look when it's not 2:30am my time.
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do....Explore. Dream. Discover."
- Mark Twain

« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2013, 11:14:07 PM »
Also, eChinacities posted 303 new teaching adverts today alone - which seems alot - so I think that you may be able to find a legit place which is short.

« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2013, 12:30:51 AM »
TDL (for your friend) and LoveSasa, Shane are in need of teachers right now, visa's are all legit and they pay for a trip to HK if you are already in China and need a Z visa (as I was)

If you want any more info feel free to PM me.

I passed the info onto my friend SpV, thanks. :)

Sasa, I hope things work out for you. I do get the impression there is work to be had here in Kunming stil

Re: School Insists on L Visa?? - Illegal Teachers Arrested
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2013, 01:11:51 PM »
Illegal foreign teachers arrested in Shenzhen
08/13/2013

According to the Shenzhen Daily, several foreigners have been arrested at English training centres on suspicion of working illegally in the Nanshan District of Shenzhen.

The bureau did not reveal how many foreigners had been arrested or give further details as investigations into the cases are still continuing.

At present, there are about 13,000 foreign residents living in Nanshan District, accounting for 42 percent of the expatriate population in the city.

According to the Shenzhen Administration of Foreign Experts, about 11,000 foreigners with valid work permits were employed in Shenzhen last year, accounting for about 60 percent of the city’s foreign-worker population.

The administration said that tutoring centers must be qualified to recruit and hire foreigners as teachers, and that only 100 such organizations in the city are qualified.

Foreigners in China must have relevant certificates in order to take up teaching jobs, including a valid work visa issued by the administration. Some teaching positions also require professional certification, such as the internationally acknowledged TEFL and TESOL certificates. [source]
Dr. Rob Burton