"Blacklist" of Nigerians in China?

• 37 replies

A-Train

"Blacklist" of Nigerians in China?
« on: June 30, 2013, 06:50:41 AM »
I have a friend from Nigeria whom I was recommending for a Finance Lecturer position for my uni.  Great experience and excellent education credentials.  We went through the whole process of Skype interviewing him etc. and the uni pretty much told him they were going to hire him.  Then the great wall of silence came down and nothing happened.

Tried again this semester because I know the uni needs someone like him and received a curious reply from my former boss, (a Taiwanese woman with a Ph.D. from an English university), stating that "No Nigerians will be hired".  She wouldn't set that policy and would not refuse to hire black people so I assumed it was from higher up.

When I asked her about it, she said that the HR Department informed her that the Chinese Government has Nigeria on a blacklist and they will not get work visas. 

Does this sound credible?  I searched on the net for any articles about this; thinking that something official like this might be mentioned somewhere, and found nothing.  Has anyone heard anything of this?
"The young do not know enough to be prudent, and therefore attempt the impossible and achieve it, generation after generation.

Pearl S. Buck

kitano

• Children of the Atom
Re: "Blacklist" of Nigerians in China?
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2013, 07:45:54 AM »
Nigeria does have a bad reputation (from Africans as well as Chinese as far as I can tell) but anything official smells of lies to me. If there was a government policy against Nigerians then Nigerians surely wouldn't be hearing about it from a job they applied for

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2013, 01:53:56 PM »
It sounds credible, not very nice but credible, as for mentioned somewhere, I think there are millions of rules and guidelines in China which are not mentioned anywhere. However, this is not the first time I have heard of a school turning down a person from Africa, but never due to an outright official law. Albeit it sounds credible, I think the person is fibbing. I don't think there are any official rules about not giving Nigerians a visa, I think she is simply saying this because it will sound impressive and scary and she won't lose face.
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

"It's all oojah cum spiffy". Bertie Wooster.
"The stars are God's daisy chain" Madeleine Bassett.

A-Train

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2013, 02:04:55 PM »
@ETR; That makes sense for China in general, but this manager is in desperate need of Finance teachers and we already have lecturers from India, Pakistan, Turkey, The Cameroon and many other "scary" places, so I'm not so sure.

She's certainly prone to telling a lie or two, but has told me that she would have hired the Nigerian in a heartbeat if not for these restrictions.  And she didn't have to tell me anything.  I really don't know what to make of it.
"The young do not know enough to be prudent, and therefore attempt the impossible and achieve it, generation after generation.

Pearl S. Buck

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2013, 03:10:54 PM »
Well, I do not want to cast aspersion on any country, but is it possible that the actions of a few Nigerians are at work here? We have all heard of the "Nigerian Businessman E-mails scam" so maybe that is influencing her decision, if it is even her decision. If I was to conjecture, I would argue that this "No Nigerians rule" nonsense is coming from somewhere higher up the food chain and she has no choice but to obey. Perhaps her boss has issues with Nigeria for some reason.
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

"It's all oojah cum spiffy". Bertie Wooster.
"The stars are God's daisy chain" Madeleine Bassett.

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2013, 04:56:34 PM »
There are half a dozen people above her who could object to this candidate for no reason other than his race.  New Principal?  Maybe one of the classes has complained about not having enough white teachers.  Maybe the Finance Director decided he didn't like the idea of a black guy getting paid more than Chinese staff with higher qualifications.  Could be any one of these.

It could also be a temporary ban because of a recent spike in the number of problematic applications, "dissappeared" individuals who have been on student visas or possibly a couple of people who have a communicable disease coming into the country and failing the medical once they were here.

You can find out for certain by contacting the Chinese consulate in Lagos (no you can't, but this is what I would write if China had a functoning administrative system).  Nothing on their website suggests any temporary restrictions though.    

Guangzhou Writer

• Can use chopsticks
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2013, 05:48:13 PM »
It's true that some countries simply can not get work visas in China, such as Kazakhstan according to a colleague whose girlfriend was told this by multiple sources: travel agency, her embassy, etc.

I think that if there were such an official blacklist against a particular country getting a certain kind of visa, it would be very well known to that country's embassy and travel agencies who process visas, unless it just happened in the past 72 hours or less.

IOW no, there is no black list against Nigerians getting work visas. This is just an example of Chinese racism against black people coming from someone inside the school, which was the obvious answer all along.

A-Train

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2013, 05:51:38 PM »
How do you explain the black teacher from The Cameroon and the one from The Netherlands? Both teaching Chinese students subject courses.

Pearl S. Buck

Guangzhou Writer

• Can use chopsticks
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2013, 05:59:19 PM »
I don't know enough to make a very good guess, but let's use the situation that Escaped Lunatic was in that led to his having to get that ridiculous security system.

He was living quite happily with his wife in his dream house in an integrated part his village somewhere in the vast expanse of Dongguan for what, I can't recall, months? years? One evening he went to some social gathering and was seated at a table with the local bigwigs who had assumed that Sir Laowai was segregated with all the other evil foreigners, but were wrong. Upon discovering their error, they immediately began enforcement protocols.

One could say that in EL's case there was a profit motive, I'm not suggesting racism, but merely saying it's an example of people who should have known not knowing.

Maybe one of the decision makers in your uni was vaguely aware of the Africans teaching, then he saw an important CCTV news story about evil, drug-trafficking Africans in Beijing, and he suddenly decided, "No more! They will dilute the purity of my university!"

Anyway, I don't know enough to guess at specific patterns within your university.

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2013, 06:10:08 PM »
Is this in Guangzhou?

A-Train

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2013, 06:41:40 PM »
@GZ; she said it was a government inspired edict (yes, this could be bullshit, but she and I have a decent relationship and she did't have to explain anything.

@Stil: This is in Liaoning.

Pearl S. Buck

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2013, 06:59:41 PM »
I think it's far more likely a polite excuse for someone deciding that they don't want any more black teachers.  She isn't lying, she just isn't calling the Principal's office racist.  

Pretty much the only only organ within China in which it is not okay to be racist is the E/E PSB.  So unless this policy is originating from SAFEA then I wold bet that this is just a bigot somewhere who is throwing his weight around.  Seriously, have you had any new senior staff in the HR/Finance/Principal's Office recently?
« Last Edit: June 30, 2013, 07:25:43 PM by bobrage »

« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2013, 07:33:55 PM »
At the risk of generalizing, I find that the Chinese are very good at generalizing. If one Chinese guy had a small issue with the country of whatever and even if it it was not personal, i.e, an incidental ocurrance, the papers are littered with "such and such country is dangerous and an alert is warrented!"

My guess, 1 Nigerian may have caused a problem, or one Chinese believes that they are a problem, so therefore, ALL Nigerians are evil
For you to insult me, first I must value your opinion

kitano

• Children of the Atom
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2013, 07:41:16 PM »
Nigeria is famous for their mafia. It isn't just Chinese or someone's personal prejudice, I used to be mates with some Africans and they were racist against Nigerians and Rwandans (Nigerians are criminals and Rwandans are filthy apparently)
Europeans associate Nigerians with email scams

They are an oil country and they have a big mafia so they are discriminated against.

Monkey King

« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2013, 10:08:42 PM »
There have been quite a few news reports in the English language Chinese media featuring Nigerians in particular being involved in drug trafficking and even the trafficking of people (mainly for prostitution) in China over the past few years.   Some of them entering on student visas IIRC, and I remember one article in particular about the Nigerian mafia 'muscling in' in Shanghai, which of course I cannot track down anymore (and that's only from the English language media, I don't know how they are portrayed in Chinese mainstream).