Guangzhou school wants me to mail my original diplomas?

• 21 replies
Guangzhou school wants me to mail my original diplomas?
« on: June 09, 2013, 11:17:36 PM »
A Guangdong school wants me to mail them my original diplomas. Is this normal for Guangdong? Normal for anywhere?
I heard Guangdong is more strict with foreigners. Anyone in Guangdong? Has anyone sent originals ... anywhere?
Please and thanks.

Re: Guangzhou school wants me to mail my original diplomas?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2013, 12:15:24 AM »
I don't know about normal, but I have never been asked to send my originals nor would I ever do so. The school can have copies or nothing, as far as I am concerned.
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

"It's all oojah cum spiffy". Bertie Wooster.
"The stars are God's daisy chain" Madeleine Bassett.

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2013, 12:42:55 AM »
Offer to mail them direct to the SAFEA office by recorded delivery on the condition you have a named contact who will sign for them and retain them until you collect them (not the school, you collect the from SAFEA).

This will never come to pass, but it is a perfectly polite and reasonable way to refuse to do it.

Take the originals with you when you come to China though, oh yes.

Guangzhou Writer

• Can use chopsticks
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2013, 12:46:34 AM »
NO, it is not normal in Guangdong. Nor have I ever been asked for my originals just to look at. Copies have always been sufficient.

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2013, 12:47:20 AM »
If you are close enough, you can offer to meet them and they can then scan/copy your papers. NEVERNEVERNEVER relinquish original documents (passport at the appropriate time)

If not, you can do what bobrage said (great idea BTW  bfbfbfbfbf) As mentioned, scaned/copied papers have always sufficed

Sorry for the redundancy, gzwriter and I posted simultaniously

For you to insult me, first I must value your opinion

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2013, 12:56:03 AM »
Thanks to all. It seems there is no "GZ exception". I'll suggest the bobrage method and see what they say.
Yes they may lovingly gaze at them with doe eyes all year, but not now.

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2013, 01:12:42 AM »
SAFEA wouldn't know an original degree certificate if it bit them on the gaudeamus.

Your diploma isn't in Latin is it? 

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2013, 01:15:13 AM »
Yeah ... I mean, what if the job falls through? Are they going to take responsibility for making sure the documents are returned to you?

I seem to remember that when my parents came over they had to provide original documents at the residence permit stage, but not before. I've heard that orginals are often required these days, but I've never heard of asking a potential teacher to send originals off to a school. That seems like a very very bad idea.

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2013, 01:21:02 AM »
Because I renewed my passport, SAFEA have requested to see both of them for my FEC transfer/renewal.  They don't want to keep them though, just look at them.

They don't normally check degree certificates and certainly wouldn't do so at the Work Permit stage (for the reasons noted directly above).  This is probably something which the school has pulled out of their ass - but may indicate that either:

a. the school doesn't know what it is doing or is somehow in SAFEA's badbooks for smuggling fakers in.

or

b. they have had problems with fake teachers in the past and want to avoid those in the future..

It's an odd request, so you might want to use the smell test again. 

Out of interest, what kind of school?

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2013, 01:39:16 AM »
It's a university.

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2013, 02:14:17 AM »
It's a university.

It's unlikely that SAFEA's giving them gip then.  Probably just a wee lassie/chappie who doesn't know their job yet.

« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2013, 02:22:33 AM »
I'll tell them I won't mail those docs. Maybe it won't matter to them.

They requested a "statement of no criminal record" from my school, but that does not trouble me at all.

Maybe this 'mail your diplomas' request is a misunderstanding.

« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2013, 02:26:55 AM »
I'll tell them I won't mail those docs. Maybe it won't matter to them.

They requested a "statement of no criminal record" from my school, but that does not trouble me at all.

Maybe this 'mail your diplomas' request is a misunderstanding.

Things are afoot down in Guangdong it seems.

Is the university in question a collaboration between Beijing Normal and HK Baptist by any chance?  That might explain it, but if not then this is new.

« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2013, 03:08:20 AM »
I don't want to open up a can of worms or cast negative dispersions just yet.

This uni is not affiliated with the ones you mentioned.

I think I figured this out. Unfortunately I'm overwhelmed so I didn't sort it out until after I started this topic.

Here's my point: I wanted to finish my new RP before I leave China. I think they requested my diplomas so they could have them approved now, not when I arrive in August. I think that may be the best explanation. Occam's razor and all that stuff.

Hey is that other joint hiring?  ababababab

« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2013, 03:35:01 AM »
Hey is that other joint hiring?  ababababab

I don't actually know.

Ah, if you're in China then I suppose that they might have more grounds to ask for your certificate, but it's still pretty rare.  Most SAFEA office just wave through folk who have worked elsewhere (not that they should).

Seriously though, offer to send it to SAFEA. There is like a 1/100 chance that this is something which needs to happen and by making that offer you get to seem all reasonable and proactive.