Powerpoints bombed China

• 23 replies

Tree

• This personal text is false.
Re: Powerpoints bombed China
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2014, 05:32:21 PM »
I'm going to present this article to my class this evening [in addition to two about cellphone use in class].

And I'mma gonna be usin' a PPT. Oh the ironing.
The greatest and most important problems of life are all in a certain sense insoluble. They can never be solved, but only outgrown.
- Jung

« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2014, 10:29:25 PM »
I'm going to present this article to my class this evening [in addition to two about cellphone use in class].

And I'mma gonna be usin' a PPT. Oh the ironing.

Or you can send the info via your cell in class

It's like déjà vu all over again
For you to insult me, first I must value your opinion

« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2014, 06:25:58 AM »
Tree, you teach four subjects? Sounds like a lot of work. Cheers.

I like PPTs for complicated economics graphs. You can use macros to click and move curves or just grab it with your mouse and move it.  Also you may add relevant pictures or videos, but for text it's about the same as a doc.

Like Calach, I love my PPTs and they're a help but I think I might change to half PPT, half chalkboard classes.
 ababababab

opiate

« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2014, 07:53:06 AM »
I have developed a strong dislike of PPT presentations. Sat through too many PPT heavy meetings and spiels from vendors in my former life.
I know some of you use PPT presentations but unless you do it well I can't see it adding much to a class. I can see it detracting from a class but perhaps it's my other life talking. When somebody would light up a PPT slideshow my mind would wander to anywhere else to escape the boredom. I'd nod in the right places but not be paying attention at all.

For most of us I just think it's not needed. Sure, if you need to present a complicated graph...have at it.

When I have a fairly decent class I try to teach them how to take notes. Though it takes some time, it improves their grasp of the language since they'll have to train their brain a bit to quickly identify key points and worthwhile information while discarding the rest. Perhaps they can do so in Chinese but many find it difficult in English...and understandably so. As I understand it, many are not used to taking notes/processing information the same way some of us are. They're used to writing EVERYTHING the teacher writes on the board (and they often write a lot) and that's where it usually ends. Comprehension is optional, writing it all out verbatim isn't. Another advantage to note taking is forcing them to create their own sentences using the key information....beats the pants out of just having your own words regurgitated back to you.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2014, 08:09:20 AM by opiate »

« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2014, 06:30:21 PM »
Wednesday night we went to our local business meeting. Each month a different topic. This one was very important to me. The info the girl gave was vital but she lacked vitality. Her PPT presentation was abysmal, no strong demonstration, basically simple regurgitation. She was British, not Chinese. She relied on what each page said and added nothing. Thankfully I can take notes so I felt bad for the Chinese merchants who copied reams of unnecessary dribble. I wish I had a dollar for every time she said "as you can see"  Thanks, sit down and let the damn thing scroll by itself.
For you to insult me, first I must value your opinion

kitano

• Children of the Atom
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2014, 04:21:27 PM »
I have developed a strong dislike of PPT presentations. Sat through too many PPT heavy meetings and spiels from vendors in my former life.
I know some of you use PPT presentations but unless you do it well I can't see it adding much to a class. I can see it detracting from a class but perhaps it's my other life talking. When somebody would light up a PPT slideshow my mind would wander to anywhere else to escape the boredom. I'd nod in the right places but not be paying attention at all.

For most of us I just think it's not needed. Sure, if you need to present a complicated graph...have at it.

When I have a fairly decent class I try to teach them how to take notes. Though it takes some time, it improves their grasp of the language since they'll have to train their brain a bit to quickly identify key points and worthwhile information while discarding the rest. Perhaps they can do so in Chinese but many find it difficult in English...and understandably so. As I understand it, many are not used to taking notes/processing information the same way some of us are. They're used to writing EVERYTHING the teacher writes on the board (and they often write a lot) and that's where it usually ends. Comprehension is optional, writing it all out verbatim isn't. Another advantage to note taking is forcing them to create their own sentences using the key information....beats the pants out of just having your own words regurgitated back to you.

Yeah that's really worth doing if you have the same class for a long time. How to take notes and likewise the different ways to read (skimming, scanning etc) are something they just don't learn here

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2014, 05:58:25 PM »
I don't use PPTs often, so when I do, the students do pay attention. I use them for graphics and media exclusively. I never write anything on the PPT that I would actually say in class. I use it to elicit discussion. I tend to use simple things that, if need be, I can recreate on the whiteboard/chalkboard. I guess I got to used to equipment/power failures in the past that happened much more frequently than now so I go into classes assuming nothing will work.

For example, the last PPT I showed was of designer Liu Yang's (Beijing born, living in Germany) work on culture. She made some simple, effective and humorous pictograms contrasting German culture with Chinese culture like this one

Germany is blue and China red

Then ask questions.

What do they think it represents? Do they agree? How would they change it? Whatever.

The problem with text, for me anyway, is that students read and copy the text but don't listen.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2014, 06:03:56 PM by Stil »

« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2014, 04:19:18 AM »
Stil:
I never write anything on the PPT that I would actually say in class.
Doesn't this make a good rule of thumb for ppts! Never use a ppt to repeat what you will say, and never say anything you want them to read from the screen. Next time I teach public speaking/presentation, I'm going to add this to my list of class rules.

kitano

• Children of the Atom
« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2014, 05:49:59 PM »
Same applies for worksheets. Don't expect people to listen to you if you give them a worksheet. If you give people something to read they automatically read it and most people can't read and listen at the same time