Car Horns

• 68 replies
Car Horns
« on: March 20, 2013, 02:19:27 PM »
I have wondered, is it possible they actually TEACH drivers to honk horns like that?! That'd be stupid, wouldn't it. But it seems like no, they do teach it.

There's a driving school set up just off the far end of the campus I live on. From my rooftop eyrie I can see over the wall into where they pile students into training cars and make them drive in slow circles. And honk. From 7 am to 5 pm, that same little parping honk joins my day, every day, irregularly, yet seemingly every 30 seconds or so. Horns are being taught not as safety devices, but as driving tools.

This is madness.
when ur a roamin', do as the settled do o_0

kitano

• Children of the Atom
Re: Car Horns
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2013, 02:39:17 PM »
When I first came to China I found the ebike horns more annoying, now I ride about a lot I am constantly wishing that I had a horn.
Likewise my wife got a car last year and we always used to complain about the amount of horns but now every time we go anywhere another driver will inevitably cut us off or do something moronic and she will beep like a taxi driver!

Monkey King

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2013, 03:06:25 PM »
Yeah the learners (with instructor in front and 2 or 3 mates in the back) used to go out on the quiet empty roads near my out-of-town uni, and they would still also honk all the time.  Eventually I decided they were honking at me, because I was the only other thing around...a pedestrian, 100 meters away...and on the pavement.

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2013, 03:20:11 PM »
I kid you not, once in a taxi with no other car in sight, my driver started blasting away for no apparent reason. I gently removed his hands from the horn and placed mine over my ears while making a distressed face. He understood yet still laughed at me.

My g/f often tells drivers to ease off on the horn
For you to insult me, first I must value your opinion

BrandeX

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2013, 04:53:25 PM »

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2013, 06:53:39 PM »
It will be. Replace car horns with, say, missile lock and I think we get a just fabulous picture of how international relations are going to go in the future. THESE PEOPLE ARE LEARNING THIS NOW AND WE ARE DONE FOR!

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2013, 10:25:58 PM »
I wish more e-bike riders would use the horns!  I don't know how many times I have turned around while walking and narrowly missed one of these silent killers.  What I really don't like though, is walking on the pavement/sidewalk and being beeped from behind, especially by a car!  (That's really beep as in "she beeped her horn", not the moderator *beep*.)

Where I'm from in the USA, I've actually heard of people getting fined for "non-emergency honking" or something like that.  I remember thinking that was ridiculous.  Now not so much. 

kitano

• Children of the Atom
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2013, 11:25:02 PM »
I wish more e-bike riders would use the horns!  I don't know how many times I have turned around while walking and narrowly missed one of these silent killers.  What I really don't like though, is walking on the pavement/sidewalk and being beeped from behind, especially by a car!  (That's really beep as in "she beeped her horn", not the moderator *beep*.)

Where I'm from in the USA, I've actually heard of people getting fined for "non-emergency honking" or something like that.  I remember thinking that was ridiculous.  Now not so much. 

It's one of my 'PREACH!' things

In most EU countries you can be fined for misusing your horn and full beam lights, so noone does it. In China you can't so everyone does. It isn't like it's some part of the Chinese character, it's just that people are allowed to get away with it (Spain and Italy used to be worse drivers than Chinese until they took road safety seriously)

Horns are for emergencies, not to provide a commentary on other people's driving  asasasasas

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2013, 12:28:06 AM »
« Last Edit: September 02, 2016, 01:08:32 AM by Isidnar »

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2013, 01:00:33 AM »
The absence of sirens is not indicative of an absence of emergencies. Consider that for a moment.

Meanwhile, the horns are the first trump of the apocalypse. The behaviour is becoming more pronounced and I believe it to be spreading to other devices and conditions. I have witnessed this small town go from a place of widely empty boulevards with potholes that could swallow a man to a grimly cheek-by-jowled site of development infested by dogs, children and the rich. Buildings bloom like moulds. They decimate their surrounds. Small restaurants are nearly all gone.

The horns did it. It was the horns. And the local government.

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2013, 01:06:49 AM »
It's not just drivers. pedestrians would need to be more educated about horns too. In countryside and even suburban kinds or areas with less traffic, pedestrians would be splattered all over the roads if not for the "I'm barrelling right up your ass" honking.

Where I am, horn use is not commentary on other peoples' driving, it's used to alert drivers, riders and pedestrians of the car's presence. A taxi driver leaning on his horn so that the lady carrying her baby will notice and not step out onto the road. That kind of thing.

I wish the mopeds on the sidewalks would use their horn more actually. I've recently taken out two of them, just because I had no idea they were coming up behind me. The first because I took a step sideways to avoid a puddle and the second when I turned to point across the street. Down they went, and my arm is still a little sore.

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2013, 01:11:26 AM »

It's one of my 'PREACH!' things

In most EU countries you can be fined for misusing your horn and full beam lights, so noone does it.

Horns don't bother me, I can see that they might result in better road safety, as aggressive as they might be.

However, full-beam lights are FUCKING OBNOXIOUS.

Pardon my French but I HATE THEM.

It's complete 'as long as I can see clearly who cares about anybody else' selfishness and/or ignorance.

I'm still seeing stars right now from my cycle home.  asasasasas
两只老外, 两只老外,跑得快,跑得快,
一个是老酒鬼,一个是老色鬼,真奇怪, 真奇怪

« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2013, 01:17:38 AM »
I'm with Fozz. I've tuned out the horns. They only really bother me when someone honks from right behind me. But brights? They are actually really dangerous because they can blind/distract the driver on the other side. Asshole drivers with their stupid brights, that's some real bullshit right there.

« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2013, 01:19:10 AM »
China has a lot of people. In the countryside and suburban areas, I'm sure people could be employed to walk ahead of cars with some kind of warning flag.

I can't tune out the horns. The dimwits around here bring it home with them. The teachers drive five minutes to work and honk at every student, bike, and car they come near, which is all of them.

A-Train

« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2013, 02:58:26 AM »
How 'bout the volume of the horns on some of those buses?  Those things will make you shit a pickle if you're close.
"The young do not know enough to be prudent, and therefore attempt the impossible and achieve it, generation after generation.

Pearl S. Buck