Landlord Troubles

• 97 replies
Re: Landlord Troubles
« Reply #60 on: May 15, 2013, 04:43:59 AM »
Found on the internet so no guarantee of truth or relevance, but it would seem that if Chinese landlords wish to unilaterally terminate an agreement early, they have to pay you a penalty. If it is so, perhaps she is hoping you don't know.

http://www.globalpropertyguide.com/Asia/china/Landlord-and-Tenant
when ur a roamin', do as the settled do o_0

« Reply #61 on: May 15, 2013, 04:54:47 AM »
Ok - so cooled down a little since last post

my wife thinks that there is no way that they are going to try to sneak in here while we are away (they are in Beijing - they want us to hand over keys to an agent when we are done)

so, we find a place in the next few weeks (my poor wife)

and then demand every penny back b4 we go anywhere etc ...

actually, we could come out on top financially if we get all our money back etc, since it will be a month or two free rent ...

still... MAFAN!!!

clearly she is mental. time to go. problem is this really fucks with our schedule. oh well, you want to make God laugh tell him your plans and all that...

Calach - yes our contract says they need to pay a month's rent as penalty - I will take just getting back the money we sent her back, but knowing about the penalty will be useful for bargaining...

THANK YOU YOU 3
两只老外, 两只老外,跑得快,跑得快,
一个是老酒鬼,一个是老色鬼,真奇怪, 真奇怪

« Reply #62 on: May 15, 2013, 12:27:12 PM »
Will the contract supersede the law? According to that link, as penalty the landlord is supposed to double the guarantee and the deposit.

ETA: which is to say, it's at least a talking point. You can do like the Chinese do and bring it up as an issue that will never get solved.

Looking through the internet, this ploy of please move out I'm going to sell seems popular.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2013, 01:16:37 PM by Calach Pfeffer »

« Reply #63 on: May 15, 2013, 03:20:22 PM »
@Calach - popular in what way?

What sort of ploy?

As a means to what? Please elaborate...
两只老外, 两只老外,跑得快,跑得快,
一个是老酒鬼,一个是老色鬼,真奇怪, 真奇怪

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #64 on: May 15, 2013, 03:25:27 PM »
Get ALL your money back and start checking for a new place ASAP.

Consider changing at least one of the locks.  Try to get ones that match the old ones on the outside so it's not obvious.  That will reduce the chances of coming home and finding that all of your stuff was conveniently stolen by burglars who used a moving van.  She may not personally come, but she may have extra keys.

Definitely see if the school will intervene.  Also, how much is a legal consultation in China?

No matter what, I think you need to get out.  Even if you force the crazy landlady to backdown by legal means, she'll find new ways to ruin your peace of mind.

If you can get all your cash back (with penalties), find out when you are supposed to vacate.  Get out one week early (but don't tell her you're leaving) and send me a PM for suggestions on how to redecorate on your way out. uuuuuuuuuu

Have a friend make an inquiry as a potential buyer.  Might be interesting to see what she says.
I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com

« Reply #65 on: May 15, 2013, 04:09:34 PM »

Have a friend make an inquiry as a potential buyer.  Might be interesting to see what she says.

That is the best suggestion ever   bjbjbjbjbj bfbfbfbfbf agagagagag agagagagag agagagagag
Be kind to dragons for thou are crunchy when roasted and taste good with brie.

NATO

« Reply #66 on: May 15, 2013, 05:04:21 PM »
Crappy situation. Best of luck in getting it sorted!

« Reply #67 on: May 15, 2013, 05:54:24 PM »
If you do end up taking a vacation during this ordeal, I'd suggest having someone live in the apt. If it's Chinese, someone your wife trusts implicitly and hopefully big strong and loyal to you.

Just as a precution, have your wife tell the police you've had people try to break in before. This way, if she does try something, there will be history and it'll work against you.

Just a thought or two. Hope you don't need to resort to extemes but be ready for anything
For you to insult me, first I must value your opinion

Monkey King

« Reply #68 on: May 15, 2013, 06:12:26 PM »
I think Calach just means that it's very common for Landlords to take on new tenants even while knowing full well they are going to sell the place at the first opportunity.

The Shanghai and Beijing expat boards have quite a few postings along the lines of "just moved in, now Landlord is selling WTF?!"

« Reply #69 on: May 16, 2013, 12:41:31 AM »
@Calach - popular in what way?

I searched "China rental agreements" and similar and keep coming up (well, three times) with stories of landlord suddenly announcing they were selling. It happens even to Chinese tenants.

There was a slightly similar case in Shenzhen recently. the foreigner took the landlord to court, and won.

What sort of ploy?

I'm guessing. But, like, "oh, so you won't agree to a rent increase, okay, that's fine, by the way, I'll be selling the apartment and you have to leave anyway..."

As a means to what? Please elaborate...

Getting a tenant who pays more.

Unless the buyer is this dude you mentioned, no one has inspected the property as a property, right? And Chinese generally prefer to buy new, not pre-lived in. Or is someone buying the location, not the apartment? Is the sale happening now? Why would she remove rent paying tenants so she could leave it empty while people inspect?

Perhaps she does have a buyer lined up. I don't know. but hard ball her on the legal penalty as opposed to the contracted penalty (not as an attempt to get money, but as a delaying tactic. Chinese do it all the time to exhaust negotiators. You can too.)

(Sorry for the slow reply--my internet goes splut every wednesday, don't know why.)

« Reply #70 on: May 16, 2013, 01:25:04 AM »
Ok thanks for that Calach I will bear that in mind

My wife has (helpfully) gone off on a trip with her friends leaving me to stew on this so we will hopefully start dealing with this next week.

Cheers

两只老外, 两只老外,跑得快,跑得快,
一个是老酒鬼,一个是老色鬼,真奇怪, 真奇怪

Guangzhou Writer

• Can use chopsticks
« Reply #71 on: May 16, 2013, 02:48:42 AM »
Sorry to hear about the mafan, but not surprised. As I said before, it was clear she was going to pull a Detective Columbo on you and add something at the end.

My experience, especially with Chinese landlords, has been that they don't know what they want, but the only way they know they're not getting it is if you're happy.

« Reply #72 on: May 16, 2013, 02:53:25 AM »
If you wanted to mess with her a little, you could ask what the asking price for the property is. You might, you could tell her, like to make an offer yourself instead of moving out.

A risky game perhaps, but a little bad faith negotiation might lighten the spirits.

Monkey King

« Reply #73 on: May 16, 2013, 03:30:49 AM »
it was clear she was going to pull a Detective Columbo on you and add something at the end.

Oh...and...uh...just one more thing......F**k you, hahaha!

Quote from: gzwriter
Chinese landlords...don't know what they want, but the only way they know they're not getting it is if you're happy.

Might be hall of fame worthy. 

Fozz, this totally sucks, obviously, but this has to be one of the Saloon's most epic and insightful threads.  Future generations will benefit from your suffering.

« Reply #74 on: May 16, 2013, 04:03:40 AM »
Fozz, this totally sucks, obviously, but this has to be one of the Saloon's most epic and insightful threads.  Future generations will benefit from your suffering.

ananananan it never works out well for the protagonists of epic stories

'those the gods wish to destroy they first make mad'
两只老外, 两只老外,跑得快,跑得快,
一个是老酒鬼,一个是老色鬼,真奇怪, 真奇怪