Meds

• 9 replies
Meds
« on: February 27, 2013, 01:34:50 AM »
Back in January I was hit by a car while walking across the street, I got pretty banged up and was in the hospital. In my follow up, I mentioned that my upper back ached a lot when I sit at the computer and I have a hard time concentrating. When 2 different doctors asked how my sleeping was and I told them better then ever, in fact it can be difficult to get up in the morning, they decided I was  suffering from depression brought on from the accident.They want to put me on meds temporarily, I really don't need the meds, but it would look good in my court case. My question is will it have any effect on the health check done there? Do we do a health check in our home country and China too?

Re: Meds
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2013, 02:13:41 AM »
XWarrior once wrote

Actually it is a pretty extensive check but as EL says they are mainly concerned with detecting STDs (the foreigners disease) and the liklihood of you dying before exiting the hospital.

Although there are some geographic variations the general check goes something like:

A: fill in a form that asks about some horrible things and I answer no to all of them  - why make it easy for them?

B. do a round of stations where they prod you into line for:
- eyesight test
- blood test
- xray of the top half of the body
- ultra sound test of stomach
- blood pressure test + pulse rate
- some funny test involving many suction cups, most prob to do with blood circulation

I'm pretty certain this isn't about circulation, but I can't remember what it is for.

Piglet would know if you need to get a health check done in Israel before coming, but honestly, as per XWarrior, I would just not mention it if you've only got to do the health check here. I think there was a question about depression.

If you did mention it, I don't know what would happen. Generally speaking, the Chinese are a bit wary of any kind of depression / mental health issues. You may have problems getting refills for your prescription here, but if I understand you correctly, that won't be a problem anyway.

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2013, 02:21:13 AM »
The suction cups are a really really old fashioned ekg.  ahahahahah

piglet

• Piglet's House
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2013, 02:50:30 AM »
Hello I am here but why is Israel mentioned? Is chocodog in Israel,he doesn't say so. And YES you DO have to have health check in Israel before coming to China.
For people who like peace and quiet - a phoneless cord

Monkey King

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2013, 03:53:22 AM »
Is chocodog in Israel

Yup: http://raoulschinasaloon.com/index.php?topic=8194.msg149648#msg149648

As Mr Benn said, I would avoid mentioning the medication if at all possible.  I wouldn't make light of moving to a foreign country if suffering from genuine depression, but it doesn't sound like that's really an issue in your case. 

You CAN get just about any medication in major cities and certainly in international hospitals (for a price), but yeah, depression and mental health issues are generally not discussed as much in China if at all.  Even doctors in major city hospitals can be fairly ignorant about this stuff.

See also:

http://raoulschinasaloon.com/index.php?topic=6056.0
« Last Edit: February 27, 2013, 04:01:21 AM by MK »

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2013, 06:41:53 AM »
No, I'm not depressed, disgusted maybe, but not depressed. I wouldn't need to fill the prescription more than once, wouldn't take it and I would only do it if it could help my my claims against the driver"s insurance afafafafaf. Just wondering if that kind of medication stays on medical records and if that is the case I would forgo it. You got any idea piglet?
« Last Edit: February 27, 2013, 06:50:33 AM by chocodog »

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2013, 05:15:36 PM »

My question is will it have any effect on the health check done there?

Nah, they are testing for diseases, Hep, HIV....

They don't test for chemical imbalances.

The suction cups are a really really old fashioned ekg.  ahahahahah

Yeah, I love this test. I pull up my shirt and they see the hair and then need to call for reinforcements.

piglet

• Piglet's House
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2013, 06:09:48 PM »
Sorry chocodog I have no clue about medical records but since everything nowadays is done on computer I guess there would be a record of it there.

piglet

• Piglet's House
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2013, 06:14:23 PM »
oh and by the way the "health check" I did in Israel consisted of me going to my GP and have her tick all the boxes and stamp it with her rubber stamp, so whatever I had on my records wasn't relevant.But of course it would depend where you went to get yours done,if you go go someone who doesn't know you it might be more thorough. My doc has treated me for the last 30 years so she trusts me and just did what I asked.
I definitely would not mention the meds. Also check on the Chinese embassy Tel Aviv website cos they change the requirements all the time.As of last week though you just had to produce the aforementioned downloaded form signed and stamped by a doc.Then the test in China would be done by the  medical board in the province where you get a job.

chinalin

• The Great wall in winter.
    • Lin's China Travels
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2013, 02:49:45 AM »
No problems bringing anti-depressants into China.  I brought a years supply, every one of the six years I was teaching there, never declared them, never mentioned them.

But when I was working out whether it was worth bringing a year's supply with me, I asked my colleagues, and they found all the meds for me, for a minute fraction of the price from home.  None of them were the same brands, but my colleagues checked and the chemical formula was identical.

But they certainly don't ask, so no need to tell them.

Chinalin
 bxbxbxbxbx