Changing Windows 8 language

• 10 replies
Changing Windows 8 language
« on: December 27, 2012, 03:02:49 PM »
Yo so i caved and bought a laptop last night (christmas bonus)

The language for the OS is Chinese which I dont see as that much of an issue.  My understanding is that I can only change that by installing an English version of Windows. Can anyone cleverer than me confirm this? google searches suggest that it is possible to download language packs, but I think they just refer to the keyboard.

I'm probably gonna install ubuntu as a secondary OS anyway.

yli

Re: Changing Windows 8 language
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2013, 03:51:19 AM »
I think you can change the language, but you might need to download a new language pack.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2607607?wa=wsignin1.0

old34

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2013, 03:58:10 AM »
« Last Edit: January 15, 2013, 05:04:41 PM by old34 »
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad. - B. O'Driscoll.
TIC is knowing that, in China, your fruit salad WILL come with cherry tomatoes AND all slathered in mayo. - old34.

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2013, 04:36:21 AM »
I know this is a hard time right now, but I'm sure that RD would want the Saloon to keep functioning as usual. This place is his legacy.

Let's try and be gentle with each other please.

Nolefan

• Lord of Avalon
  • 八九不离十
    • Catania Vibe
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2013, 04:35:21 PM »
What LD said!!

we're all under the shock but Raoul and all of us need this place to keep functioning. we wouldn't have it any other way!

I know this is a hard time right now, but I'm sure that RD would want the Saloon to keep functioning as usual. This place is his legacy.

Let's try and be gentle with each other please.
alors régressons fatalement, eternellement. Des débutants, avec la peur comme exutoire à l'ignorance et Alzheimer en prof d'histoire de nos enfances!
- Random food, music and geek tales from the Catania, Sicily: http://ctvibe.com

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2013, 07:32:12 PM »
You got Windows 8 with your laptop?

You have my sympathy.
10 easy steps to stop procrastination.

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2013, 02:51:27 PM »
You got Windows 8 with your laptop?

You have my sympathy.

Why? It's far better than windows 7.

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2013, 07:41:31 PM »
I sort of unexpectedly got a Win8 laptop a couple months back.  I've been too busy to play with it yet.  The one time I turned it on, I thought it was a very big version of a cell phone. ahahahahah
I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2013, 07:43:31 PM »
I sort of unexpectedly got a Win8 laptop a couple months back.  I've been too busy to play with it yet.  The one time I turned it on, I thought it was a very big version of a cell phone. ahahahahah

I keep annoying friends when I try to use their laptops and get fingerprints on their screens. It feels so natural touching everything to me now.

Considering that 4 years ago I was one of the touchscreen naysayers, I'm thoroughly enjoying having a smartphone and touch laptop now.

eggcluck

• Still standing
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2013, 08:18:34 PM »
One of the things I do not like about this "touch" is when the screen keyboard eats up more than half of your screen. Though I have never even seen windows 8 so I know nothing about it.

Being microsoft though, I do dare say that probably not much real substance has changed just more gimmickry and bloat, plus a nice new early adopter price tag.
Still standing

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2013, 08:37:56 PM »
Well I've used OSX, Ubuntu, Android and a load of windows in my time, and windows 8 is impressing me. 

I dont think the changes are shallow, it's much easier to navigate, and much quicker and more aesthetically pleasing than the others.

Also I dont have an on-screen keyboard, I have a laptop, which has a physical keyboard.

Anywho I'm not here to get my OS reviewed, I just wanted to know if anyone knew about the language change.

d/ling the language pack has changed about 30% of it to English, but that's it. Funnily enough, if you search in English the correct Chinese result comes up, so the Chinese isnt really bothering me now.