Has anyone taught at WECI International English School Changchun, China?

• 9 replies
I would like to know has anyone heard or taught at WECI International English School in Changchun?

This is my first time lookimg for a teaching position in China. Therefore I am learning the ropes like every newbie mmmmmmmmmm.

I am interested in knowing about the good or bad things about this place.

Thanks

Re: Has anyone taught at WECI International English School Changchun, China?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2012, 02:15:36 AM »
There must be someone on this forum that knows about WECI International English School bibibibibi!

Monkey King

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2012, 04:52:56 AM »
Sorry, it sounds like this is a relatively small language school. 

China has hundreds if not thousands of these types of schools, and they vary from city to city, so you are not guaranteed to find someone who knows about your specific school on this website, or any website for that matter.

However, if you have other questions about teaching in China more generally or life in Changchun more specifically, there are plenty of people here who will help you out.

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
  • "Be specific if you order the mushrooms!"
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2012, 07:18:38 PM »
Couldn't have said it better, MK. agagagagag
Except I'd venture that the number of schools out there is in the TENS of thousands... bibibibibi
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

"Here in China we aren't just teaching...
we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2012, 02:21:34 AM »
Thanks for helping out! I will apply to other schools in Northern China, before I make my final decision.

I worked for WECI May 2012-13. Overall, I'd definitely say don't work there. The school has gone from bad to worse in the last couple of years. They are constantly making new, unnecessary rules for foreign and Chinese staff, are incredibly unorganized and do not respect their workers. The marketing staff ignores the requests of the teaching department and created materials with embarrassing English mistakes, and during mandatory company events no English is spoken and the foreign staff is ignored and chastised if they leave.

Another teacher left at the same time as I and the school forced his Chinese Teacher to lie to the parents and children (in front of him) and tell them that the foreign teacher was leaving because he didn't like the students. They wanted to save their reputation by tarnishing his, because he was leaving for a different school. They never paid me the overtime I was owed for working more than my contract hours.

-Tom

PS: Fun fact, the penalty for being 2 minutes late to class is higher than simply calling to cancel the class 5 minutes early. This school has no idea what they're doing.

I was in the 'chun from 08 to 2011. I met a few people from this school, but they tended to keep to themselves. There was only one older guy I encountered from time to time and I talked to him whenever we met. He said he wasn't crazy about the school, they had their faults. But he said they weren't terrible either.

I never got a solid read as to whether it was his indifference, him rolling with the punches, or they were just mediocre. I wish I could give you more info vis-a-vis pay, scheduling, FAO, etc. Overall, they're a 6 out of 10 when I factor everything
For you to insult me, first I must value your opinion

Guangzhou Writer

• Can use chopsticks
Tombot's description sounds like "normal-bad" to me in China, although if he's been there a while and seen it decline, I can understand that he's not crazy about the place.

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2013, 05:49:00 PM »
It may be normal-bad for China overall, but of the notable schools in Changchun (Perfect English, Victoria, English First, etc.) it's easily the worst. At every other school with more than 5 foreign teachers, the majority have relatively positive things to say about their school.

Honestly, I like Changchun but it's not a destination most people have in mind when they come to China. If you're looking to come here specifically you'd be better off at another school though WECI won't kill ya. Otherwise, find a more reliable place. They lie to you at WECI about your contract hours, work location, travel, benefits... at my new school (just across the street) I've been treated honestly and with respect, and I'm quite happy.

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2013, 06:20:08 PM »
Hey tomboy, may I ask which school are you at?  Gotta agree about both WECI and the 'choon
For you to insult me, first I must value your opinion