Re: Odd views of religion
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2012, 04:24:23 PM »
Can't see it :-(
For people who like peace and quiet - a phoneless cord

gonzo

« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2012, 04:34:25 PM »
Can't see it :-(
Blocked no doubt, as it works here in Australia. A very funny series of cartoons called Laowai Comics, but hardly offensive. What is it with Chinese censorship?
RIP Phil Stephens.
No static at all.

fox

« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2012, 04:57:18 PM »

http://www.laowaicomics.com/24.html

a breath of fresh air some of those cartoons, yeah VPN required for viewing.
regard man as a mine rich in gems of inestimable value.

NATO

« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2012, 04:14:18 AM »
Liking the comic, cheers for the link  agagagagag

cruisemonkey

• You could be next.
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2012, 07:35:23 AM »
<Post edited. Please be respectful of all sides. -R>
« Last Edit: December 15, 2012, 02:02:32 PM by Raoul F. Duke »
The Koreans once gave me five minutes notice - I didn't know what to do with the extra time.

« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2012, 01:41:42 PM »
Even as a hard core atheist, I think it's a bit harsh to call people who believe in religion idiots. We exist in a complex universe, and there's two possibil;ities for that. Everything was created, or everything has happened because of a complex chain of effects over a time longer than any of us can really comprehend.

The idea of a creator or First Cause isn't really such a stupid hypothesis, especially given how our very existance is dependent on so many conditions. If you start to believe something, then you tend to find evidence to support your beliefs and they become stronger. i don't think believers are idiots. i think they're wrong, and if intelligent believers re-examined their belief from frist principles based on everything they now know, I think they would relaise they're wrong.

(Believing that the earth is 'young' is stupid, as are a lot of other sub-beliefs. On the other hand, belief in anything requires a lot of 'faith'

For instance as an atheist, i have to believe in a couple of things.

First, I have to believe that the start of the Universe had no first cause. I've read, and not really understood, Stephen Hawkin's account of how the Universe started. It seems a bit like a fairy tale.

Secondly, the cosmological constant is incredibly exact. Any slight deviation and our Universe couldn't exist. As I understand it, the most logical explanation is a multiverse.  There are an infinite number of Universes, and we live in the Universe that 'works'

Next, Quantum Theory, te fact that you can't know for certain where atoms will be. If you stare at something for long enough, eventually it will move. (Don't try it. It will take a long time)

Also, Dark Matter and Dark Energy. We can't see or detect 95% of the matter in the Universe.

I may well be misrepresenting some of the above. I'm just trying to make the point that even atheists have to have faith is some things that sound a bit like fairy tales.

fox

« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2012, 06:03:22 PM »
Nice one Mr Benn,   Personally, i dont subscribe to the view that evolution is not true. Science and religion should go hand in hand. one proving the other and visa versa.   You just cant take some of those advices literally, gotta see the bigger picture.

The creator thing is a bit of a head torment, how can a creation understand its creator?  a table understand the carpenter. deep stuff. we think that because we have some potential we know it all, but a bit of humility goes a long way.. just need to not be arrogant with it. let others believe what they want so long as no harm is done by those beliefs.

Even as a hard core atheist, I think it's a bit harsh to call people who believe in religion idiots. We exist in a complex universe, and there's two possibil;ities for that. Everything was created, or everything has happened because of a complex chain of effects over a time longer than any of us can really comprehend.

The idea of a creator or First Cause isn't really such a stupid hypothesis, especially given how our very existance is dependent on so many conditions. If you start to believe something, then you tend to find evidence to support your beliefs and they become stronger. i don't think believers are idiots. i think they're wrong, and if intelligent believers re-examined their belief from frist principles based on everything they now know, I think they would relaise they're wrong.

(Believing that the earth is 'young' is stupid, as are a lot of other sub-beliefs. On the other hand, belief in anything requires a lot of 'faith'

For instance as an atheist, i have to believe in a couple of things.

First, I have to believe that the start of the Universe had no first cause. I've read, and not really understood, Stephen Hawkin's account of how the Universe started. It seems a bit like a fairy tale.

Secondly, the cosmological constant is incredibly exact. Any slight deviation and our Universe couldn't exist. As I understand it, the most logical explanation is a multiverse.  There are an infinite number of Universes, and we live in the Universe that 'works'

Next, Quantum Theory, te fact that you can't know for certain where atoms will be. If you stare at something for long enough, eventually it will move. (Don't try it. It will take a long time)

Also, Dark Matter and Dark Energy. We can't see or detect 95% of the matter in the Universe.

I may well be misrepresenting some of the above. I'm just trying to make the point that even atheists have to have faith is some things that sound a bit like fairy tales.
regard man as a mine rich in gems of inestimable value.

Guangzhou Writer

• Can use chopsticks
« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2013, 02:03:29 AM »
You find religion in every society because there's something in it to explore, people are looking for a connection, and it's a way to share common ideas, beliefs, etc. with your group. It does help the group stay "in group".

It's just that clever salesmen see the potential market and away we go, but most people focus on the positive aspects and rely on those.