I can see clearly now... la la

• 14 replies

piglet

• Piglet's House
I can see clearly now... la la
« on: November 11, 2012, 04:54:17 PM »
Well had a thunderstorm last night but this morning all the clouds rolled away and the sky is great

Maybe you can see the sea in the distance

tother side we have the mountain
For people who like peace and quiet - a phoneless cord

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
  • "Be specific if you order the mushrooms!"
Re: I can see clearly now... la la
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2012, 07:53:44 PM »
Nice! Uh...what city is that?!? mmmmmmmmmm
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

"Here in China we aren't just teaching...
we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)

piglet

• Piglet's House
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2012, 12:07:31 AM »
Xiamen but we live in Jimei not on the island so this is looking towards the island from the mainland. bjbjbjbjbj

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2012, 11:30:47 AM »
Thanks piglet! What time were these photos taken?

piglet

• Piglet's House
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2012, 02:00:38 PM »
Morning around 8am or so

caley1313

• DH Allison, MBA, TESL
    • My Photo Gatherings
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2012, 03:51:26 PM »
Test on loading an image:

Surfer in the Mist, Nags Head, NC by Donald H. Allison, on Flickr
Carpe Diem, mi amigo, or...Seize the Big Fish as they say here in Carolina

caley1313

• DH Allison, MBA, TESL
    • My Photo Gatherings
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2012, 03:59:39 PM »
Well, couldn't see all that clearly on this spring day in the fog atop of a hill in Wenchuang Country, Eastern Himalayas, back in 2010.

Mountain Stream, Wenchuang Country, Sichuan Province by Donald H. Allison, on Flickr

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2012, 11:38:38 AM »
Great photos thanks caley1313. bfbfbfbfbf

caley1313

• DH Allison, MBA, TESL
    • My Photo Gatherings
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2012, 03:58:03 AM »
Great photos thanks caley1313. bfbfbfbfbf

You're most welcome, and thanks for the kudos. Caley

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2012, 01:20:32 PM »
Caley, what do you use for B&W conversion or is that 'in camera'.

caley1313

• DH Allison, MBA, TESL
    • My Photo Gatherings
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2012, 04:19:56 PM »
Caley, what do you use for B&W conversion or is that 'in camera'.

It all depends. For most black and white work, I use the Nik Silver Effects Pro filter as a Photoshop plug-in. I also have several actions that I've either written or have borrowed from photographer friends over the years. FWIIW, I always shoot in RAW format with my DSLRs and use the converter in Lightroom 3 for all downloads. I then transfer the file in 16-bit TIFF format to Photoshop CS3 where I do my black and white work. Apologies for the long reply, but I have a passion for photography and telling stores thru images. Cheers, Caley

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2012, 07:23:34 PM »

It all depends. For most black and white work, I use the Nik Silver Effects Pro filter as a Photoshop plug-in. I also have several actions that I've either written or have borrowed from photographer friends over the years. FWIIW, I always shoot in RAW format with my DSLRs and use the converter in Lightroom 3 for all downloads. I then transfer the file in 16-bit TIFF format to Photoshop CS3 where I do my black and white work. Apologies for the long reply, but I have a passion for photography and telling stores thru images. Cheers, Caley

No, I appreciate the reply. I'm a beginner and have just been getting my feet wet for a few months. I never bothered with photography before as I couldn't imagine lugging around a big DSLR and these smart phone cameras were fine for snaps but the mirrorless market got me interested.

I'm also shooting in Raw and convert in Aperture for Mac and I have the NIK software plug-ins. So far it's been pretty easy to figure out how to do things for my current needs but I know nothing about Photoshop and it seems a little daunting (not mention pricy) but I figure I'll take the plunge sometime.

My father was a Nikon shooter back in the day and I still have some old lenses of his including the Vivitar I mentioned in another thread, along with some Nikkor ones. I'm looking forward to using them especially in China as it will be like bringing him here. (he passed away quite a few years back) They are well taken care of but I haven't looked at them in awhile. I'm just hoping they have no fungus on them.

I looked through your Flickr library. You have some amazing work. Any advice or CC on my shots is appreciated.

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2012, 07:48:41 PM »
Quite clear in Changsha these days too

caley1313

• DH Allison, MBA, TESL
    • My Photo Gatherings
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2012, 04:00:40 AM »
Quite clear in Changsha these days too

Stil: Mac Aperture is a fine program and with the Nik suite you have some fine tools to do whatever you need. Your photo shows a nice mood. Personally, I always make sure my horizons and horizontals are clean and not tipping to the west or east or north or south. Also, I would have cloned out the small distractions in the lower right of this image. Your scene is the tower in the smog/fog and you really don't need the clutter to the right. One thing I always do these days is frame my images if you've had a look at my Flickr album. It's just something I like to do and when you go to Flickr black by clicking on the image the scene "pops" on the screen. I use a framing software that is a photoshop script that I picked up from a buddy a while back. It's Mskad's Framing if I've got the spelling correct. There are others out there and I'd highly recommend a good one that is easy to use with titles, resizing, etc. As for Photoshop being expensive, I don't know if it's kosher here but I have to tell you that I had a student of mine in Wuhan who provided me with a copy of CS3 free of charge back in 2007 which I still use. After all, it is China and free software iterations just seem to be everywhere. You may or may not want to consider. Cheers, Caley

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2012, 05:40:35 AM »
Thanks Caley