Editing Job in SHANGHAI

• 0 replies

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
  • "Be specific if you order the mushrooms!"
Editing Job in SHANGHAI
« on: November 07, 2012, 07:44:26 PM »
Pashley has had this job since 2010, and is about to leave amicably. The job comes with his recommendation... bfbfbfbfbf

I've been in a job I really like, as an editor in the Computer Science dep't of a large Shanghai university. It will soon be open.

What they'll want is some combination of technical writing, or preferably editing, experience and computer science knowledge. Native speakers preferred; I do not think that is essential, but they may.

Faculty and students, mostly PhD candidates, want to publish papers in international journals and at conferences. Their English is not good enough -- anywhere from 4.5 to 8.5 on IELTS scale, mostly 6-ish -- so I edit it. I also give one or two sessions a year of a short (9 45-min classes) course on English technical writing for new PhD candidates.

Workload is quite variable; I've gone up to almost two weeks with no work to do at all, but on the other hand I'm sometimes swamped, working long hours because students are burying me in papers.

Ad I responded to in 2010 offered 50,000-100,000 rmb/year plus permits, airfare & health insurance but not housing. I've since haggled them up above 100,000 but not talked them into paying housing. Location is suburban Shanghai, much cheaper than downtown, but still not cheap.

For more info on the job and applying for it, please PM Pashley! bjbjbjbjbj
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

"Here in China we aren't just teaching...
we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)