Renewing my passport

• 9 replies

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
Renewing my passport
« on: December 20, 2017, 05:42:12 PM »
Had to make an appointment at the consulate (tomorrow).  Hope they can mail everything to me, since I really don't want to have to come back to pick it up in person.

This raises a question - Do I need to ask the bureau of naughty foreigner containment to duplicate my res permit in the new passport, or do I just carry my old passport around along with my new passport until I get my new res permit?

If I'm lucky, my greencard will come through before I have to renew.  Knowing my luck, it will be issued 2 days after I renew my res permit.

I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com

old34

Re: Renewing my passport
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2017, 06:52:00 PM »
The embassy will cancel your previous passport and either punch holes through it or cut off the corners. When you pick up your new passport, they'll hand you both the old and the new one. You'll have to carry your old passport with the FEC in it together with the new passport until the next time you renew the FEC which will go in your new passport. Even then, when you travel, you're last date of entry stamp will still be in the old passport so you'll still have to carry that when traveling and checking into hotels.
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad. - B. O'Driscoll.
TIC is knowing that, in China, your fruit salad WILL come with cherry tomatoes AND all slathered in mayo. - old34.

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2017, 07:48:41 PM »
I renewed my passport earlier this year. And this was the Oz consulate so I had to apply in person but could get them EMS'd out to me. Along with the new one, they sent me back the old one (with half the cover cut off), and I then sent both of them off to the containment bureau for a new residence permit. They both eventually came back, the new one with a new residence permit pasted in. While they were gone I was able to use my Foreign Experts booklet as ID for travel and so on.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2017, 08:03:16 PM by Calach Pfeffer »
when ur a roamin', do as the settled do o_0

Escaped Lunatic

• EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2017, 03:31:01 PM »
Going to get my last date of entry into my new passport via a shopping run to HK once I have it.

Hmmmmnnn....trains and inter-city buses want to see passports.  Getting back from GZ should be interesting.

Guess I'll double check with the local containment bureau to see if they prefer I carry two or if they'd be so kind as to put a copy of my current res permit in my new one.
EscapedLunatic.com

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2017, 06:30:14 PM »
Going to get my last date of entry into my new passport via a shopping run to HK once I have it.

Hmmmmnnn....trains and inter-city buses want to see passports.  Getting back from GZ should be interesting.

Guess I'll double check with the local containment bureau to see if they prefer I carry two or if they'd be so kind as to put a copy of my current res permit in my new one.

You can travel on a Foreign Expert Certificate if you have one. Train ticket agents and gate guards don't even blink.
when ur a roamin', do as the settled do o_0

Nolefan

• Lord of Avalon
  • 八九不离十
    • Catania Vibe
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2017, 03:06:48 PM »

You can travel on a Foreign Expert Certificate if you have one. Train ticket agents and gate guards don't even blink.

technically yes, but practically no. Even the little yellow slip that you get when renewing visas is a major pain in the rear end to get any travel done. Remember that most average zhou's have never ever seen a passport, much less a different document foreigners can use. All they know is that foreigner=passport
alors régressons fatalement, eternellement. Des débutants, avec la peur comme exutoire à l'ignorance et Alzheimer en prof d'histoire de nos enfances!
- Random food, music and geek tales from the Catania, Sicily: http://ctvibe.com

Escaped Lunatic

• EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2017, 03:21:03 PM »
Handed over my passport and paperwork.  Was given a ticket to come up when called and told to pay.  They pay window said "No need to wait for ticket to be called" and collected my money.  I asked if there was anything else and that person said no.  Decided to recheck the first window, since my receipt didn't look like anything the train station would find impressive.

First window said another window would call me.  When that happened, I got my passport back - minus some holes.

Went to the train station.  No issue buying tickets, but my passport wouldn't scan to let me get to the waiting room.  My wife managed to convince someone to press the magic "accept this mutilated ID button" and I made it through.

Now I get to wait 2-3 weeks.  Once I've got the new one securely in my kung fu grip, I'll ask the local containment bureau what their preference is regarding carrying 2 passports vs. them putting a copy of my res permit in the new one.  Then I'll make a shopping run to HK to get my most recent entry in the new one.
EscapedLunatic.com

Escaped Lunatic

• EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2018, 09:45:24 PM »
My wife ran by the containment bureau to renew her HK pass, so asked.  The local foreign wranglers decided that carrying 2 passports until I get my next res permit (or green card!) will do for the time being.

Now just waiting for the consulate to send me my new passport.
EscapedLunatic.com

Tree

• This personal text is false.
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2018, 04:06:49 PM »
I had to get mine renewed here as well. They three hole punch your old one. I carried them both until it was time to get a new res permit. No problems at the airport or train station, just show them both.
The greatest and most important problems of life are all in a certain sense insoluble. They can never be solved, but only outgrown.
- Jung

Escaped Lunatic

• EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2018, 05:07:53 PM »
And it arrived. agagagagag

I thought it was odd that the consulate didn't charge to send it - until the postman charged 22 rmb to deliver it.

Now all I have to do is take a copy to the village police and try to memorize the number before the annual res permit renewal.
EscapedLunatic.com