Canadian Passport Renewal - new, simplified application.

• 26 replies
Re: Canadian Passport Renewal - new, simplified application.
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2012, 05:05:52 AM »
If you are going home for Spring Festival, then it would be much better to get it done in Canada.  You can get it done in one week or less depending on where you will be in Canada.
Be kind to dragons for thou are crunchy when roasted and taste good with brie.

« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2012, 04:07:54 AM »
I'll have to look into that. I guess what I would be afraid of with that solution is if I didn't get my new passport in time and I missed the flight back.

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2012, 05:21:33 AM »
I have done this a couple of times during the Spring Festival back in Canada. You just need to fill in your departure date and you will get it on time. They give you a date for delivery (priority mail) and you can track it. Both times I received my passport earlier than then the date they quoted.

« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2012, 02:23:05 AM »
Cool, Thanks for the insight.

I'm guessing you couldnt transfer the residence permit in Canada. Did you just keep your old passport and show them the RP in that to board a plane to China? 

cruisemonkey

• You could be next.
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2012, 10:19:45 PM »
I can report this new process works well and the Canadian government has finally done something right.  ahahahahah

I applied by mail (China Post EMS) from Xinzheng, Henan to the embassy in Beijing using the Simplified Application (no guarantor required) and with more than year until expiration (letter of explaination required) on November 20. My new, 48-page passport was delivered by China Post EMS today - December 12.

Now, my FAO can get my new Residence Permit... and I can go Bali in January/February. Woohoo!
bfbfbfbfbf
The Koreans once gave me five minutes notice - I didn't know what to do with the extra time.

« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2013, 09:58:06 PM »
I got my new passport when I went back to Canada over the Spring Festival holiday and figured I would ask here as you may know. Is there a deadline of sorts after you get your new passport that the residence permit must be transferred to it by?

thanks

« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2013, 08:18:57 PM »
Here they do transfer them over. Don't know what the process is, here we just have to give it our International Office and get them to do it for us. So it is not correct to say they don't transfer them... at least sometimes they do.
Sometimes it seems things go by too quickly. We are so busy watching out for what's just ahead of us that we don't take the time to enjoy where we are. (Calvin and Hobbs)

« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2013, 09:23:23 PM »
Res permits are valid for thirty days and must be transfered over within that period when you get a new passport.
The biggest issue is that you got your new passport in another country (not china) so that might be an issue as your new passport will not have a visa to enter china where you can get the res permit transferred and your old passport and all visas quite often will not be accepted as valid any longer for entry purposes.

Pashley

• My page at Citizendium
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2013, 11:14:35 PM »
Also good, they say as of spring 2013 with the switch to e-passports, we'll be able to get passports good for ten years (at an extra charge) instead of the current irritating five year limit.
http://www.ppt.gc.ca/support/faq.aspx?lang=eng&id=q801

New fee structure into effect & ten-year version available July 1.
Who put a stop payment on my reality check?

xwarrior

« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2013, 11:47:19 PM »
Res permits are valid for thirty days and must be transfered over within that period when you get a new passport.

Z Visa that got you into China =  valid for 30 days

Residence Permit that lets you stay = valid for 10-12 months ... and this is the one you have to think about when replacing a passport. It can only be replaced in China and, from memory, it costs about the same as for your original. Not every International Office will pay for a new Res Permit.
There is most probably no set time limit to replace it as you are kind of covered by the old Res Permit and in the 'old days' could most probably negotiate your way out of China using both passports. I am not sure I would want to take the risk these days.
There are other situations when you will need a passport in China - booking into a hotel is one, travelling by train or plane - and I am pretty sure that at some point the 2 passport option is not going to be accepted.    

I have my standards. They may be low, but I have them.
- Bette Midler

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2013, 05:02:21 PM »
Slightly off topic, but remember that any bank accounts, phone cards or other services you opened with your previous passport needs to be updated. If you lose your bank card say and your new passport number doesn't match the banks records, it can be quite a headache. The Chinese ID card number doesn't change so many banks especially in smaller places are not used to this situation. Keep the old passport secured and handy.

« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2013, 06:22:56 PM »
Thanks for the replies guys.

As far as the two passports I managed to get back into China with no problems. It was like another day at the 'office' for the airport personnel.

I didn't want to take any chances so, I've given my two passports to my school's foreign affairs person and hopefully they know what to do or who to call.