10 Steps to Gadget Buying in China - By Request (Fozzwaldus)

• 10 replies

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
Nothing special. Pretty much what I would do anywhere.

1. Research the item sticking to known manufacturers. Their websites, review blogs and especially forums.

2. Look around for what's available and inquire about pricing in several locations. I shop alone. I don't want translation and opinions from people who have not done the research I have and may be swayed by a good salesman.

3. Check Taobao and I look at the cost of the item in Canada and Amazon. This is for pricing info only. I use Taobao but not for gadgets.

4. Now narrowed down, back to research. Don't up-sell yourself by buying something cooler or with a lot of features that you won't use/need just because now you have a bit of knowledge. For instance with cameras, I'm not a pro photographer, I want great pictures but I don't need the top tier stuff at all. So I have to understand who the reviews are aimed at.

5. Ask questions of the resellers. For most of the questions, I know the answers. I just want to check their knowledge and truthfulness for the questions for which I don't know the answers.

6. Play with the items. Specs are usually pretty close for manufacturers within the same price-point, but how things feel is really important. For example, I don't like the really big screened smart phones because I type on phones with my thumb in one hand holding it in portrait. With the big phones I can't reach everything comfortably.

7. Bargain, bargain, bargain then bargain again.

8. Pull the trigger. Don't buy any extras, that can all be purchased on Taobao or just a few weeks/months later when you really know what extra bits and bobs you might want.

9. Buy something shiny for the wife/girlfriend.

10. Play with your new toy and, most important... never look at prices for it again.

« Last Edit: August 27, 2012, 03:23:22 AM by Stil »

old34

Re: 10 Steps to Gadget Buying in China - By Request (Fozzwaldus)
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2012, 03:56:42 AM »
Great advice! bfbfbfbfbf bfbfbfbfbf bfbfbfbfbf
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad. - B. O'Driscoll.
TIC is knowing that, in China, your fruit salad WILL come with cherry tomatoes AND all slathered in mayo. - old34.

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2012, 04:13:31 AM »
nice - same day service  bfbfbfbfbf
两只老外, 两只老外,跑得快,跑得快,
一个是老酒鬼,一个是老色鬼,真奇怪, 真奇怪

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2012, 02:00:34 PM »
Good advice, I especially agree with number 10. You will ALWAYS see a better deal advertised somewhere a week after you bought the thing.  llllllllll

Monkey King

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2012, 02:12:31 AM »
I shop alone. I don't want translation and opinions from people who have not done the research I have and may be swayed by a good salesman.

This bit is excellent advice.

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2012, 03:17:01 AM »
Most people would think that not being fluent is a great disadvantage when shopping but it takes all the salesperson's patter away. They may have a way of selling that works well for them but now it's useless. If your significant other is there then it may work on them and then you might be screwed.

Also, being a foreigner makes it hard for the salesman to size you up and decide what method is best to sell you regardless of your fluency. They may be more interested in you than selling. This might frustrate you but it puts them on their heels in negotiations.

Ask them if they are a local. Sit down have a cup of tea, Hand out a few cigarettes, talk to them about other things than just 'business'. Be relaxed. It's pretty normal in bargaining to become 'good friends'.

It's also a great Chinese class for you.

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2012, 03:39:25 AM »
Most people would think that not being fluent is a great disadvantage when shopping but it takes all the salesperson's patter away. They may have a way of selling that works well for them but now it's useless. If your significant other is there then it may work on them and then you might be screwed.

Also, being a foreigner makes it hard for the salesman to size you up and decide what method is best to sell you regardless of your fluency. They may be more interested in you than selling. This might frustrate you but it puts them on their heels in negotiations.

Ask them if they are a local. Sit down have a cup of tea, Hand out a few cigarettes, talk to them about other things than just 'business'. Be relaxed. It's pretty normal in bargaining to become 'good friends'.

It's also a great Chinese class for you.

absolutely great advice, and this is exactly what I'm going to do when I get back to Ningbo. I'm in the market for a set of speakers.
两只老外, 两只老外,跑得快,跑得快,
一个是老酒鬼,一个是老色鬼,真奇怪, 真奇怪

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2012, 05:14:32 PM »
i have a great lil app on my phone that scans barcodes and finds them online. its stopped me from buying fake harddrives, usb sticks, etc. its imaginitively named 'barcode scanner'

randyjac

• 老骥伏枥
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2012, 01:42:21 AM »
Stil's thorough advice has taken all the fun out of it for me. The caveman goes outside, finds something suitable, knocks it on the head (pays for it), and drags it back to the cave. That's the way I've always done it.

piglet

• Piglet's House
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2012, 02:17:44 AM »
Totally excellent and spot-on post mate thanks a lot! bfbfbfbfbf
For people who like peace and quiet - a phoneless cord

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2012, 02:18:50 AM »

Stil's thorough advice has taken all the fun out of it for me. The caveman goes outside, finds something suitable, knocks it on the head (pays for it), and drags it back to the cave. That's the way I've always done it.

That's for girls, not something as important as gadgets.