Beijing Hostel

• 9 replies
Beijing Hostel
« on: July 19, 2012, 12:06:18 PM »
Sorry if this has been covered recently. I did a search and couldn't find anything...  bibibibibi

An English friend of mine is visiting Beijing next month and we will be doing all the touristy stuff together over a few days. Great Wall, museums etc.

Can any of you guys recommend a good hostel in Beijing that you stayed at in the last couple of years? It's my friend's birthday one of the nights, so it would be good to be in a lively place that's not far from bars. A good common area within the hostel would also be a plus.

Also any info you have about cool tourist stuff to do in Beijing would be much appreciated too  bfbfbfbfbf

Re: Beijing Hostel
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2012, 02:45:53 PM »
When we had a few friends visiting we recommended http://www.xykezhan.com/- it's right between Houhai and the Drum Tower and had very Chinese decoration. That location would put you right in the middle of all the best tourist attractions in Beijing.

There are tons of hostels that are actually inside old courtyards and it might be worth looking through some of the ratings and reviews on a hostels website- e.g. http://www.hostels.com/findabed.php?ChosenCity=Beijing&ChosenCountry=China&Search=1#

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2012, 03:38:11 PM »
Right next to my office is a place called Home Inn (如家酒店). It is right at the Pinganli subway station on line 4, really close to Beihai. It is in a quiet hutong and the prices are not too expensive. It isn't exactly a hostel, but it is a smallish hotel in a nice location.

If money weren't an option I'd choose a guesthouse in one of the old courtyard houses but most of those are fairly pricey, especially during this time of year. Depends on your friend's budget.

AJR are you in BJ normally?

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2012, 04:36:12 PM »
When we had a few friends visiting we recommended http://www.xykezhan.com/- it's right between Houhai and the Drum Tower and had very Chinese decoration. That location would put you right in the middle of all the best tourist attractions in Beijing.

There are tons of hostels that are actually inside old courtyards and it might be worth looking through some of the ratings and reviews on a hostels website- e.g. http://www.hostels.com/findabed.php?ChosenCity=Beijing&ChosenCountry=China&Search=1#

Thanks a lot! I will check that place out  bfbfbfbfbf Did your friends actually stay there in the end? What did they say about it? It's pretty important that the hostel we stay in is lively.

And yeah I looked on hostelworld, but I prefer to get personal recommendations if I can.

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2012, 04:38:34 PM »
Right next to my office is a place called Home Inn (如家酒店). It is right at the Pinganli subway station on line 4, really close to Beihai. It is in a quiet hutong and the prices are not too expensive. It isn't exactly a hostel, but it is a smallish hotel in a nice location.

If money weren't an option I'd choose a guesthouse in one of the old courtyard houses but most of those are fairly pricey, especially during this time of year. Depends on your friend's budget.

AJR are you in BJ normally?

Thanks, LD. Location sounds lovely but possibly more somewhere I might stay with my wife?

My friend will want to party as it's his birthday, so it's best to be within staggering distance of some decent bars/restaurants. Also the place needs to be quite lively, hence the reason I'm looking for a hostel as opposed to a hotel/guest house.

No I don't live in BJ, I will be coming up from Shandong Province :)

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2012, 04:51:23 PM »
Hmm. I suggest looking in the Gulou area then. Nanluoguxiang has a hostel http://www.hostelworld.com/hosteldetails.php/Beijing-Downtown-Backpackers/Beijing/7893?source=adwordsbeijingnames&kid=481234&aid=2&gclid=COO56rPdpLECFctV4godhHd4hw. The place FBR posted is roughly in that area too, but maybe not as hostel/backpacker-y?

Sanlitun is the big party area but everything there is going to be ridiculously expensive. And Sanlitun is a pit. Gulou is a lot cooler and still has loads of bars.

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2012, 09:54:35 PM »
Actually we just checked it out- they'd actually booked a place called the Candy Hostel next to the Lama Temple. They had a terrible time- no window in the room, then it rained and the small closetroom flooded.

They moved to a place north of gulou- I don't remember the name, but if it's not this one it's very close to it: http://www.hostels.com/hostels/beijing/home-hostel/64587
If that's the right one, it's in a courtyard. More expensive, but a really nice communal area in the middle with a bar & glass ceilings. If that's not the same place- it at least has the same amenities! They seemed to enjoy it.

The place FBR posted is roughly in that area too, but maybe not as hostel/backpacker-y?

Aiya, PBR on the mind this one.  agagagagag
« Last Edit: July 19, 2012, 10:14:01 PM by fullricebowl »

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2012, 02:47:11 AM »
I've stayed at the Sanlitun Youth Hostel a couple of times and found it decent. It's an easy walk to sanlitun and subway stations. Had a nice common area with pool table, foosball and a bunch of tables. Looks like they've changed a bit though and don't offer dorms anymore, so it has jumped in price too.

SpV

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2012, 10:30:28 PM »
I have never been to Beijing, so I can't give any specific information, however, everytime SilverMay and I have travelled in China we have stayed with the 'YHA Hostelling International' chain and never had a bad experience.

Their hostel in Qingdao is very nice, as is Nanjing, so I assume it would be just as nice in Beijing.

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2012, 07:49:24 PM »
Thanks again for your help guys.

I will report back after my trip for the benefit of future searchers on this topic.