Things other expats do that drive you insane

• 241 replies

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
Re: Things other expats do that drive you insane
« Reply #105 on: May 23, 2012, 01:49:20 AM »
Just remember to keep your bathrobe closed this time while you're on that balcony, EL.

It's far to hot in DG to be wearing a bathrobe today. afafafafaf

It's weird how people brag more about going to prostitutes than meeting lovely girls and having a great day at the park etc

Yeah, and how come no one ever brags about taking a lovely prostitute girl who generously rents her affection at very reasonable rates to the park and having a great day with her? mmmmmmmmmm
I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com

« Reply #106 on: May 23, 2012, 04:05:07 AM »

But they can, and they do! As they irritate you so much don't spend time with them. Don't frequent dives where young women who don't find older men disgusting gather.......to find older men. Join Hillside Church and disapprove of others having fun, especially when you're obviously missing out..

Read the headline DUDE, Things other expats do that drive you insane. It isnot how to avoid it or what to do to when you run into this situation so you telling me to not to spend time with them is pointless. I do not spend time with them because they drive me insane hence me posting on this specific thread. I do not believe I suggested people having fun is a bad thing DUDE, but possible you saw old, got offended and stopped paying attention. I would assume that older men have gained enough maturity that they do not have to walk around talking about women throughout the entire conversation and when I say old I mean anyone old enough to know better. I imagine you will not pay attention to any of this as the word "old" has caught your attention. I also imagine others know exactly what i am talking about, so to continue would be pointless. llllllllll
Yo bro, wanna gonna........and for those English speakers amongst us? You might speak like that, but in writing its called extremely informal, bordering on semi-literate. Dude.

I was at another site where a few douchebags led by the likes of turnoi would constantly belittle anyone who did not live up to their strict code of communication and use of English. i left because i grew tired of these high and mighty English storm troopers telling me how to speak. where in the rules are we told that informal speech is not allowed here BUDDY?Maybe it is best if you try to bully your students and leave those that wont be intimidated by you alone. bfbfbfbfbf

Unless you're African-American, grow up.
Am I the only one to question why this was added? what were you thinking? What does my race have anything to do with this? it just seems extremely silly.
I guess though you are the type of expat that would drive me insane(again look at the thread topic) Here I was thinking douchebags only lived in the other ESL crap sites, guess not. ananananan

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
« Reply #107 on: May 23, 2012, 04:43:27 AM »
Hahaha, I'm starting to really enjoy this thread.

Who would of thought a thread dedicated to complaining about each other would piss anyone off?

gonzo

« Reply #108 on: May 23, 2012, 11:35:10 AM »
kevcom1, if you believe that speak and write are interchangeable, go ahead. That they are totally different forms of production should be obvious, and if you are a teacher I hope you put it into practice. If your definition of old is....old enough to know better, then you are confused. If you think this forum is for adolescents who never grew up, and who post like the script of American Pie 3, or one of those mindless pieces of pap, then you are a sad case, and perhaps facebook is more suited to you [and yes, you can get it in China]. As for calling me a douchebag, I'm really not sure of the similarities, except its a word I generally hear used by misogynists from north of Mexico. And no, I'm not an expat. these days. You'll see one in the mirror.
RIP Phil Stephens.
No static at all.

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
  • "Be specific if you order the mushrooms!"
« Reply #109 on: May 23, 2012, 12:00:19 PM »
Who would have thought a thread dedicated to complaining about each other would piss anyone off?

Who, indeed.
This is getting too personal and I'm locking it up... bibibibibi
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

"Here in China we aren't just teaching...
we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
« Reply #110 on: May 23, 2012, 02:26:33 PM »
OK, the boil lanced and the shit removed, let's try re-opening this...
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)

kitano

• Children of the Atom
« Reply #111 on: May 23, 2012, 02:49:57 PM »
It's weird how people brag more about going to prostitutes than meeting lovely girls and having a great day at the park etc

Yeah, and how come no one ever brags about taking a lovely prostitute girl who generously rents her affection at very reasonable rates to the park and having a great day with her? mmmmmmmmmm

When I first came to China I had some very teenagey sweet and lovely dates with a bargirl going to the park and kissing under bridges and so on. I couldn't brag about it around town because she was also dating an Indian guy and a Welsh guy who were both twice my age :D

kitano

• Children of the Atom
« Reply #112 on: May 23, 2012, 02:54:26 PM »
I've noticed a couple of the new posters on here being less civilised that I expected from this forum. I was much more uncivilised when I joined and a couple of senior members in a very civilised way explained to me that this is a civilised forum.
I guess it's how civilisation works.

jpd01

« Reply #113 on: May 23, 2012, 03:32:57 PM »
Farnkly I'm getting the feeling when I read the forum these days that the older members are being quite aggressive and condescending towards new members.
And yes I can be a bit snarky at times as well, but I've had this feeling lately reading the forums that we are not being so welcoming towards people. 
"I don't understand what I did wrong except live a life that everyone is jealous of." Charlie Sheen.

NATO

« Reply #114 on: May 23, 2012, 06:50:41 PM »
Damnit, I missed all the drama  pppppppppp

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
« Reply #115 on: May 23, 2012, 07:30:58 PM »
Damnit, I missed all the drama  pppppppppp

Lucky you.
We need both groups- old and new members. I for one believe that most people can be corrected gently and turned into great members instead of chasing them away...but all I can do is encourage. And hope.

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
« Reply #116 on: May 23, 2012, 07:53:16 PM »
哈哈哈. this is great!

Let me join.

How you speak and write is going to effect how others think of you. As a forum dominated by English teachers, p̶o̶o̶r̶ unusual English will grate people the wrong way, just as in real life. In real life, we would usually adjust out language to the group we are talking to. So how you talk to your university mates might be quite different to how speak to your grandmother's friends.

On a forum, you are talking to all those people at the same time. Generally it's more polite to be more standard in your style of address but it should still be up to you. We have posters with a certain flamboyant style of writing such as Calach and DaDan, and the forum is better for it. (Where the hell is DaDan?)

New members to a forum should show a little respect to the older members. I've been a forum member here since 2003 and have made many mistakes, have been in many a snit and have been taken aside by Raoul and other monitors at times to straighten me out. I have been t̶h̶r̶e̶a̶t̶e̶n̶e̶d̶ ̶w̶i̶t̶h̶ ̶d̶e̶c̶a̶p̶i̶t̶a̶t̶i̶o̶n̶ gently warned several times. I've paid my dues.

Older members have no excuse, including me. We should know better than to jump on a newbie's remarks. Why should they listen to us? If we have complaints, make them to a moderator privately and let them do their thing. A newbie will/should listen to them. It's hard to come to new place and understand the local culture and how to get along with the locals. It takes time, and mistakes will happen. It helps tremendously if the locals are patient. It's easy for the newbie to become defensive if the locals are condescending and unwelcoming.

This thread is about what other foreigners due that piss you off.

Most of us are going to see something we do mentioned here. It's ok. If we all met in a room, it would probably be more Battle Royale than Kumbaya. A little bickering is natural and fun even but there's no need to attack each other. We are all strangers in a strange land.

Back on topic

The foreigners that annoy me the most are those idiots that think that just because they've been here for a while, they know everything and then they try to impart their unwanted, so-called wisdom on to the rest of us.

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
« Reply #117 on: May 23, 2012, 08:06:50 PM »
I understand, Stil.
And one thing you hit on the nosey: If people would simply bring their complaints to a moderator or administrator, as we've been trying for years to encourage them to do, instead of jumping into the fray themselves, we'd have a lot fewer conflicts. Issues brought to our attention DO get dealt with.

I think part of the problem may be paranoia brought on by history. We've had more than our share of assholes who have joined us to deliberately stir up trouble, not to mention more than a few just plain old genuinely unpleasant idiots. In such cases we DO need to stand up and fend them off. But sometimes I think people's desire to defend the Saloon, admirable though that is, makes our triggers a bit too sensitive...and that's what we've got to try and avoid.

George

• My view of China
« Reply #118 on: May 24, 2012, 09:45:28 AM »
other foreigners due that piss you off.
People who write with wanky accents piss me orf! agagagagag agagagagag
The higher they fly, the fewer!    http://neilson.aminus3.com/

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
« Reply #119 on: May 24, 2012, 12:09:05 PM »
Yeah, well, I've heard you talk. uuuuuuuuuu ahahahahah pppppppppp

Annoyed, I can see. Pissed off, no. We all have different personalities and personas. Tolerance is a good thing.