Students preparing for exams

• 20 replies

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
Re: Students preparing for exams
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2012, 08:52:35 PM »
In the most populous country in the world, integrity is a lonely virtue.

« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2012, 11:32:52 PM »
When my better half was taking an exam at medical school which had unexpectedly been rescheduled, I was invited to sit at the back, happily listening to my mp3... and amusing myself by watching the antics of "cheaters". They had stuff written on tiny folded up bits of paper and written on arms and legs. Some of the girls wore skirts so they could access the information more easily. Copying from each other was rife and I'm sure the adjudicator must have been aware of what was happening. I came to the conclusion that the college needed students to obtain good results...and was not too concerned how they did this.

Ruth

« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2012, 04:38:26 AM »
That's really scary. I just hope any nurse sticking a needle into me, or doctor about to perform surgery, actually passed his or her own exams and didn't copy from a friend.

The integrity vs loyalty question is a good one. My biased answer is 'integrity'. However, I do have a better understanding of the 'helping' mindset. Like A-train, I thought it was a euphemism, but it really is ingrained in the culture.
If you want to walk on water, you have to get out of the boat.

« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2012, 11:16:21 AM »
As they say, one has to "walk in the shoes of the fisherman". To be perfectly honest, I try to do this, particularly where other cultures are concerned, but I often find it VERY difficult. I understand where you are coming from Ruth as "integrity" is also my biased answer. My observations are that young people with limited life experience find it much easier to accept things like this.

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2012, 12:02:41 AM »
Loyalty vs Integrity is not easy. Even in western courts a person is not compelled to speak against their spouse. Where should the line be drawn?

It's just as simple for a Chinese person to know that they should help their classmate get away with something as it is for us to know we shouldn't. Make no mistake, many don't like it but the cultural pressure to do it can be overwhelming.

kitano

• Children of the Atom
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2012, 07:26:28 AM »
The ethical question is a bit self indulgent and also kind of irrelevant since half of the tests are just bullshit and students are taught to pass tests not master their subjects, the utilitarian aspect is what is important. Students learn how to cheat and trick the system but they are part of the system.
I try and try to explain to my students that their tuition fees are for them to spend time with access to teachers and academic libraries but maybe I'm wrong. How many million Chinese students just graduated with absolutely no prospects at all having gained nothing?