Things locals do that drive you insane.

• 140 replies

zero

Re: Things locals do that drive you insane.
« Reply #120 on: May 04, 2012, 05:33:19 PM »
Why should I repeat what has already been stated ad nauseam?

This thread has become an eight page circle jerk of negativity.

I'm out.
Don't leave our circle jerk! We're not done here! Just because you, uh, got it all out, so to speak, doesn't mean we're finished ...

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #121 on: May 04, 2012, 05:39:32 PM »
And dammit, they actually have the audacity to speak Chinese!  th_f  th_bj  th_bj

I was actually LMFAO at this one until I saw the fight that followed. kkkkkkkkkk

We've got threads about out great China is.  We've got threads about things that annoy us in China.  What drives one person stark raving mad might not even be noticed by another.

I'm firmly in the "I LOVE CHINA!" camp and plan to spend the rest of my life here.  I'm also in the "I love to whine about things that annoy me" camp and reserve the right to publicly or privately bitch and moan about anything I feel like bitching and moaning about.  This thread has been great fun during the parts when people weren't getting into serious arguments.

There's not a country on Earth that doesn't have something annoying going on inside of it, and very few countries that don't have plenty of good things going on inside of them.

If people want to disagree, please do it RESPECTFULLY (unless you are disagreeing with George - he gets no respect ahahahahah).  If you think something said in this or another thread is a cheap shot, take a moment and realize that much of what is written in the Saloon is done so in tongue and cheek fashion.  If you think something has gone way too far, report the post or PM one of the admins or moderators.

Ya know, it drives me insane when those crazy foreign devils get into fights about what is and isn't worth complaining about. ahahahahah
I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com

Escaped Lunatic

• EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #122 on: May 04, 2012, 05:41:50 PM »
Don't leave our circle jerk! We're not done here! Just because you, uh, got it all out, so to speak, doesn't mean we're finished ...

Aiyaaaaa!!!  Shouldn't you be posting this in the "Zero's Search for Sunflowers" thread? ahahahahah
EscapedLunatic.com

zero

« Reply #123 on: May 04, 2012, 06:55:11 PM »
Why should I repeat what has already been stated ad nauseam?

This thread has become an eight page circle jerk of negativity.

I'm out.
If you think there's something else that needs to be said, go ahead and unload it. That's right, just shoot. No need to hold back.

George

• My view of China
« Reply #124 on: May 04, 2012, 07:00:28 PM »
We could start a new thread called "Things USAnians do that drive you insane." agagagagag agagagagag agagagagag

The "negativity" is mostly in your mind, Izzy. The people posting in this thread, mostly, have been in China for years, and the things that drive them insane haven't driven them to leave China. The things that drive us insane are usually minor annoyances that most of us laugh off. What else can you do? I reckon you've got the bull by the horns on this one, and are reading far too much into these posts. Learn to relax a little.
The higher they fly, the fewer!    http://neilson.aminus3.com/

Nolefan

• Lord of Avalon
  • 八九不离十
    • Catania Vibe
« Reply #125 on: May 04, 2012, 07:44:11 PM »
i just moved this to the pit folks.. It seems more appropriate given the tone some of the posts have taken!

This thread has given the mods quite a bit of grief over the past few weeks so we're keeping a close eye on it and it's very much likely to be closed if it degenerates again!

So, how about we lighten up a bit? drinks on Stil
alors régressons fatalement, eternellement. Des débutants, avec la peur comme exutoire à l'ignorance et Alzheimer en prof d'histoire de nos enfances!
- Random food, music and geek tales from the Catania, Sicily: http://ctvibe.com

« Reply #126 on: May 04, 2012, 08:26:51 PM »
It's a fair point that expression of annoyance and distaste can wend their way surreptitiously past culture shock (that state where one is finds the legitimate differences in behaviour and values too extreme) and ease on into nurturing a race hate.

Or, less provocatively, that describing how one has felt tested in this environment can turn into an inappropriate disrespect for the noble yellow savage.

So yeah, there's a fine line between venting and... I dunno, setting oneself up as "better than them."

But who is the bigger outsider: the imperial visitor who finds fault or that same visitor finding only beauty?

It's a tough country. They don't make it easy for a fellow to just roll up here and live. You have to learn customs, a language, get a visa, have skills... it takes a while to be "at home".
when ur a roamin', do as the settled do o_0

kitano

• Children of the Atom
« Reply #127 on: May 04, 2012, 09:29:25 PM »
Back on topic, the way that Chinese cities and the national tourism board always show people relaxing in front of lakes or whatever. There are plenty of reasons to visit and travel in China as a tourist but the way people have a really relaxing holiday, who are they trying to kid?

Escaped Lunatic

• EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #128 on: May 04, 2012, 11:30:26 PM »
But who is the bigger outsider: the imperial visitor who finds fault or that same visitor finding only beauty?

Oooohhh... can I qualify for both? ahahahahah

Back on topic, the way that Chinese cities and the national tourism board always show people relaxing in front of lakes or whatever. There are plenty of reasons to visit and travel in China as a tourist but the way people have a really relaxing holiday, who are they trying to kid?

Then again, how many Disney World commercials show the signs that say something like "Approximate waiting time from this point is 1 hour"? ahahahahah

We could start a new thread called "Things USAnians do that drive you insane." agagagagag agagagagag agagagagag

Now that this has been dumped into the BS pit, go ahead and start one.  Of course, we'll need similar topics for Hogandlanders, Limeys, etc. agagagagag
EscapedLunatic.com

babala

« Reply #129 on: May 05, 2012, 03:39:17 AM »
I get embarrassed when foreigners take out their venting in front of Chinese friends. That being said, I think there is nothing wrong with a bitch or two from time to time. I think people should notice that the people who have posted in this thread also post in the positive things about China thread bfbfbfbfbf

As George mentioned, many of us have been here for years and love it. That being said, being here for years also brings out annoyances that weren't there in the beginning. I could also post numerous times in a things that bug me about Canadians thread afafafafaf

By the way, I have to visit the hospital every week to get tests done. Anyone here who has to visit the hospital EVERY WEEK and can do so WITHOUT WANTING to strangle someone occasionally.... then I nominate you for sainthood  :whorship:
Kids, you tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try. Homer Simpson

« Reply #130 on: May 05, 2012, 04:37:03 AM »
@ babala  -->  I totally agree with you. 

My first year in China I loved everything (ok all 6 years).  However, I saw things differently each year.  I think many FT's will see China with either 'rose coloured glasses' or very negatively the first year. Those who are very negative, or hate China during the first year rarely return.  After 6 years, there were things that bugged me that were just novelties during the first year.

I think that many new members at the saloon are also new to China and so are in the 'everything is new and novel' state. 

I think the new members need to allow the members who have been here for a long time to vent from time to time.  Also, us folks who have been here forever have to remember the glow we felt when we first arrived.
Be kind to dragons for thou are crunchy when roasted and taste good with brie.

BrandeX

« Reply #131 on: May 06, 2012, 07:36:01 PM »
I concur, something is only "quaint" for so long as it is new. Afew yers down the road that "quaint" behavior (or w/e) is no longer smirk-worthy and can become "That *@#$@#".

gonzo

« Reply #132 on: May 07, 2012, 11:00:44 PM »
I'd have to say that Chinese expats living in foreign lands referring to us as "waiguoren" is a bit ironic. I know how Chinese works linguistically, and how the Chinese mind operates, but still...............foreigners in our own lands?
RIP Phil Stephens.
No static at all.

« Reply #133 on: March 10, 2013, 08:54:28 PM »
Soooooo ... you're ambling homeward on a Sunday, noonish, and you notice a t-shirt purveyor whose offerings include some potentially batshiat crazy-delicious Chinglish.  You zeroe in on the most promising sample.  It's black with a white splash of something that looks like the galaxy on it and the words "You ar ... " ... There's a third 'word' you can't make out, because the garment is folded neatly around a bit of cardboard that fits cleverly into a shallow box display unit thingy, and the third 'word' is lost beneath the bottom fold. You make a beeline for it, pointy finger extended, and you say to the young lady in charge, 可以看吗?...

Inexplicably, without hesitation, as though her response to your clear and unmistakable desire to further investigate THAT t-shirt were perfectly sensible, she calmly offers you a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT t-shirt.  It's a flaming, utterly ridiculous shade of pink.  It has a hideous applique rendering of a vaguely cat-like thing on it, and a couple of random shiny plastic things or a shameless abundance of them slapped on top of that. It might fit a 10 year old girl, but it sure as hell would not fit you. It couldn't be less like the t-shirt you have expressed interest in if it were a bicycle pump.

This has happened before.  Many times.  No matter how many times it has happened; it only makes LESS sense to you with repetition.  You *should* just accept - nay - anticipate! - this chain of events. After all - there is no 'why'... but no. You are broken - again.  The little wheels in your mind overseen by the tiny weeble who runs your logic centre suddenly grind wildly against each other. Your logic weeble's left eyebrow is twitching uncontrollably and the only thing that comes up is - 

"WTF?!  kkkkkkkkkk WHY? Why are you brandishing this thing at me  wwwwwwwwww ? It's like I pointed at an apple and you are taking this as a sign that I want to buy a cured pig snout.  llllllllll WHY is this happening?" 

You don't say any of this out loud of course; that would be rude and pointless. Nevertheless, you and your mission are derailed. You mutter quietly to yourself and wander off down the street ... just another in a string of failed attempts to reach sidewalk-in-China enlightenment...

eeeeeeeeee
"At times, the novice found pre-Deluge English more perplexing than either Intermediate Angelology or Saint Leslie's theological calclulus." - A Canticle for Leibowitz, Walter M. Miller, Jr,.

« Reply #134 on: March 10, 2013, 10:32:16 PM »
Oh, this topic... is asking for trouble.

I have seen large men walk down the street. Small men too. Average sized woman, porky children and slim, and students of all varieties. In general, should any of these be set on a path that somehow may cross or nearly cross that of some other person, these people, as a rule, neither bark nor hiss nor honk nor shout.

Yet, put these people in a car or settle their dumb asses on a scooter, and suddenly they are the prime mover and traffic organizer of all nearby persons. They honk and toot and tootle and parp.

It's getting worse too. There was actually a time when people merely drove their cars. These days they drive everyone ahead of their cars. And I find the incessant honking to have no redeeming value. Spitting for example is sometimes hilarious. Threats from cars never are.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2013, 10:38:20 PM by Calach Pfeffer »
when ur a roamin', do as the settled do o_0