Things locals do that drive you insane.

• 140 replies

babala

Re: Things locals do that drive you insane.
« Reply #60 on: April 18, 2012, 07:02:59 PM »
People who bring their damn huge E-bikes on the elevator. In my apartment, over half the people who own bikes/E-bikes haul them up the elevator. Okay, I get it. Many bikes get stolen in China but that doesn't give them the right to squash me against the walls of the lift as their dirty bike presses up against my leg. If you want to bring the damn thing up they wait for a empty lift. I've started to refuse to let them on if there is no room.
Kids, you tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try. Homer Simpson

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #61 on: April 19, 2012, 12:40:55 AM »
  When it's late at night and I'm trying to sleep, these buggers are still out there honking. The roads are empty. Why is it necessary? I fantasize about a special place in hell for these guys. Constant honking for eternity. Or maybe that's their idea of heaven?

A proper hell for them would be a maze of crowded streets, no traffic lights, and a broken horn on the motorcycle.
 qqqqqqqqqq qqqqqqqqqq qqqqqqqqqq qqqqqqqqqq
I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
« Reply #62 on: April 19, 2012, 01:00:24 AM »
The constant talking. Chattering on about this and that. Asking inane, unanswerable questions all the time.

Now that I think of it, that may just be girls in general and not locals.

« Reply #63 on: April 19, 2012, 01:53:29 AM »
I don't like it when people yell 'f*** your mother' at me as they walk past. It seems excessive.

that happens?  aoaoaoaoao in English or Chinese?  mmmmmmmmmm
两只老外, 两只老外,跑得快,跑得快,
一个是老酒鬼,一个是老色鬼,真奇怪, 真奇怪

« Reply #64 on: April 19, 2012, 03:46:21 AM »
IT doesn't often happen to me, but it has happened. I always just shrug it off, but that's a lot easier for a man who is 1.8 m tall than for a woman with a child. It comes from the sort of young punks who really want me to start something so they have an excuse to phone their friends for backup, but don't have the balls to start it by themselves. Never happened while I was with my daughter, can't imagine my losing it unless she was directly threatened.

gonzo

« Reply #65 on: April 19, 2012, 01:32:22 PM »
I guess "Ma de" should be taken as literally in Chinese as "Motherfucka" would be in English. Think of a witty riposte, or ignore: not worth a fight. I was in a scene straight out of "coming to America" one day.
Young guy on bike [back in the old days] : Fuck you!
Me [witty riposte]: Fuck you too!

It was probably the only English he knew, "helloooo???" aside.
RIP Phil Stephens.
No static at all.

Pashley

• My page at Citizendium
« Reply #66 on: April 19, 2012, 03:59:00 PM »

Lotus Road in Zhuhai has a bunch of pleasant open-air bars and an amazing troupe of streetwalkers. Someone's contribution to the worldwide spread of English was teaching some of those girls the expression "No money, no honey." Bravo!
Who put a stop payment on my reality check?

Escaped Lunatic

• EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #67 on: April 19, 2012, 04:16:20 PM »
I don't like it when people yell 'f*** your mother' at me as they walk past. It seems excessive.

This is a simple matter of a common error among new English speakers.  You need to explain to them that the proper way to say this is as follows:

"Your mother is a very fine looking woman who draws the attention of both my eyes and my heart.  With your kind permission, I would like to ask her if she would agree to engage in an act of of passion with me so that I may express my profound love for her on a physical level."
EscapedLunatic.com

gonzo

« Reply #68 on: April 19, 2012, 07:51:13 PM »

Lotus Road in Zhuhai has a bunch of pleasant open-air bars and an amazing troupe of streetwalkers. Someone's contribution to the worldwide spread of English was teaching some of those girls the expression "No money, no honey." Bravo!
Next they could learn "Don't look at me, I got STD".
Further suggestions please.
RIP Phil Stephens.
No static at all.

Escaped Lunatic

• EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #69 on: April 19, 2012, 08:27:50 PM »

This topic really deserves its own thread.  ahahahahah

"You can do me if I can do your wallet."
"My love is available for reasonable hourly rates."

And, of course, "Me so horny.  Me love you long time." afafafafaf
EscapedLunatic.com

« Reply #70 on: April 20, 2012, 01:41:42 AM »

GuangDong should rename themselves GuangVegas. Think Hu Jin Taio would go for that?

This topic really deserves its own thread.  ahahahahah

"You can do me if I can do your wallet."
"My love is available for reasonable hourly rates."

And, of course, "Me so horny.  Me love you long time." afafafafaf

kitano

• Children of the Atom
« Reply #71 on: April 20, 2012, 06:32:59 PM »
Korean teenagers used to yell 'Fuck you!' and 'I love you' at me as well as 'Hello' like they do in China so the ridiculous amount of money that Korean parents spend on teaching their kids English wasn't a total waste....

The thing that is really bugging me about China this week is the way a lot of otherwise intelligent people will tell you these ridiculous things about China like 'China has no racism' 'Chinese women are all chaste virgins' 'China won't ever have obesity problems because our food is so healthy' etc etc
I know that there are plenty of countries where people indulge in exceptionalism about their country but China just takes it to another level sometimes.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2012, 07:03:18 PM by kitano »

gonzo

« Reply #72 on: April 20, 2012, 06:42:34 PM »
Its a collectivist society. They don't actually think/know/believe these myths, but have been taught to parrot them. Virtually all Chinese students abroad will, given the chance, tell their audience "my hometown is very beautiful", when you well know its a toxic dump. It does have the cleanest hookers after Taiyuan, but they fail to mention that. Oh, and Chinese food is very delicious. Well, it can be, but is often luke warm artery clogging congealed pig fat. And the rice is cold and has set into a brick like formation.The waitress picks her nose and the cook never washes his hands after visiting the toilet which he has to do many times each day as he has gastro. Etc.
Another habit they and their Riben neighbours bring is sniffing. Sucking nose water back, usually in a silent situation like an exam, because using a tissue is a filthy Western habit.
RIP Phil Stephens.
No static at all.

« Reply #73 on: April 20, 2012, 07:28:35 PM »
The thing that is really bugging me about China this week is the way a lot of otherwise intelligent people will tell you these ridiculous things about China like 'China has no racism' 'Chinese women are all chaste virgins' 'China won't ever have obesity problems because our food is so healthy' etc etc
I know that there are plenty of countries where people indulge in exceptionalism about their country but China just takes it to another level sometimes.

Yep. This lazy thinking, or parroting depending on how you see it drives me crazy too. I do enjoy poking holes in it in class (this can be pretty appropriate in an academic writing class as they ahve to learn to base statesments on observable evidence etc, not just common knowledge...)
两只老外, 两只老外,跑得快,跑得快,
一个是老酒鬼,一个是老色鬼,真奇怪, 真奇怪

CaseyOrourke

• USAF TACP
    • Yankee Texan In China
« Reply #74 on: April 20, 2012, 11:04:30 PM »
I was thinking about some of the other things that bug me and I immediately thought of those crotchless pants they put on young kids here in China, especially in public (e.g. subways and buses).  As a child I would have been embarrassed to be around adults with my junk (such as it was back then) hanging out for all to see.  The wife and I agree and have told the family that crotchless was a big no-no. With all the weirdos out there, I'm not going to take the chance of giving some pedophile his jollies by showing him/her my child's privates.