John Belushi

• 10 replies
John Belushi
« on: March 06, 2012, 03:17:37 AM »
Today is the 30th anniversary of his death.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=WveHlnbHiI4

This is a great show about his last 24 hours. Extensive interviews with his wife, Aykroyd and his manager.

Re: John Belushi
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2012, 02:06:04 PM »
Dam --- 30 years already?  Now I feel old!

He was a great comic --- loved him in Animal House and, of course, SNL (when SNL was actually funny).   bfbfbfbfbf

"Bigamy is having one wife too many. Monogamy is the same."  (Oscar Wilde)

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
  • "Be specific if you order the mushrooms!"
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2012, 03:31:56 PM »
Such a tragic loss...it still hurts all these years later. ananananan
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

"Here in China we aren't just teaching...
we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)

Nolefan

• Lord of Avalon
  • 八九不离十
    • Catania Vibe
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2012, 06:39:54 PM »
I'll always remember him for his outstanding take on Joe "mad Dog" Cocker... a classic
alors régressons fatalement, eternellement. Des débutants, avec la peur comme exutoire à l'ignorance et Alzheimer en prof d'histoire de nos enfances!
- Random food, music and geek tales from the Catania, Sicily: http://ctvibe.com

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2012, 09:17:52 PM »
Oh, wow, where to start? aoaoaoaoao

The Samurai series with Buck Henry was brilliant.
The "Olympic Athlete" commercial for Little Chocolate Donuts was brilliant, too.
So was the Schiller's Reel titled "Don't Look Back In Anger" where he visits the graves of all his fellow cast members...and ends by dancing on the graves.

It grieves me and pisses me off that we missed many years of brilliance from John Belushi. ananananan asasasasas
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)

CWL

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2012, 11:26:32 PM »
I played in a Blues Brothers cover band for a while.  Good times and good music. ababababab

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2012, 04:04:14 AM »
Blues Brothers was one of those movies that I loved to show to Chinese students. Not because its a good movie (actually pretty low by my standards) but because it introduces, in its own goofy way, a whole sub-culture that most of them would otherwise never know existed. And damn! were those guys funny. I've used the visit-the-penguin scene, with sound turned off, to teach the misuse of bad words.

ditto for the joe cocker take-offs on SNL. He did two of them; one where he rolled off the stage, another where he went onstage alonside Joe Cocker while Cocker performed("feelin' alright", IIRC). Both had me in tears.

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2012, 10:26:19 AM »
One of the funniest things about the one with Joe Cocker- who by then was transitioning from wild-man rocker to ballad crooner- was how seriously uncomfortable Cocker looked while being confronted with his former persona. ahahahahah

CWL

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2012, 12:19:45 PM »
...... but because it introduces, in its own goofy way, a whole sub-culture that most of them would otherwise never know existed. ....

So true.

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2012, 05:18:11 PM »
30 years?!?!?  Damn. ananananan ananananan ananananan

I prefer to think that John Belushi faked his own death and is now living in Washington DC under the name Senator Blutarski.  I'd have more confidence in him than in the other 99 people with that job.

I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com

CWL

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2012, 11:35:44 PM »
RIP - Donald 'Duck' Dunn

Donald 'Duck' Dunn dies at 70; bassist for Booker T. & the MG's
As a key part of the integrated house band at Memphis' Stax Records, Dunn set the funky tone for soul hits from Otis Redding, Wilson Pickett and Sam & Dave. He later joined John Belushi and Dan Aykroyd in the Blues Brothers.

http://www.latimes.com/news/obituaries/la-me-donald-duck-dunn-obit-20120515,0,7418288.story