E-Book Readers

• 59 replies
Re: E-Book Readers
« Reply #30 on: July 17, 2013, 04:38:27 AM »
If you use amazon, your purchased order will be stored in the Cloud and, if there is no wifi for the e-reader, you can have the electronic file sent to your computer and then you can transfer it to your e-reader. You can also use calibre to store and manage your e-books.
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

"It's all oojah cum spiffy". Bertie Wooster.
"The stars are God's daisy chain" Madeleine Bassett.

« Reply #31 on: July 17, 2013, 12:37:33 PM »
You can choose where you want the e-file. You can easily download it to your computer OR to your kindle. You can have the file in both places at the same time with no problem. You can download the files again at any time to either the kindle registered to you, or computer registered to you on amazon.  I have never had any problem.  You can download the kindle reader to your computer to read the files on your computer.
Sometimes it seems things go by too quickly. We are so busy watching out for what's just ahead of us that we don't take the time to enjoy where we are. (Calvin and Hobbs)

« Reply #32 on: July 17, 2013, 01:04:34 PM »
What of the books not purchased from Amazon? I guess I'll find out tomorrow.

In due course I suppose one day I'll use the service as intended. It might even be more convenient than other sources. Maybe even "cheaper", too, after factoring all the costs. But torrents, my friends, torrents! The books have rained down upon my computer. In torrents.
when ur a roamin', do as the settled do o_0

« Reply #33 on: July 17, 2013, 01:46:14 PM »
No problem CP. Practically none of my ebooks are "legit" but as long as they're mobi files the kindle will read them. Like ETR mentioned, it is easy to convert other formats to mobi  using calibre.

Guangzhou Writer

• Can use chopsticks
« Reply #34 on: July 18, 2013, 03:16:46 AM »
Thanks for the answers :)

« Reply #35 on: July 18, 2013, 03:20:33 AM »
But torrents, my friends, torrents! The books have rained down upon my computer. In torrents.

As a writer whose books have been torrented and exchanged in sites such as mobilism, this makes me really sad.

Because, y'know, really, 2.99 is WAY TOO EXPENSIVE, to pay for something that took me the better part of half a year to release.

« Reply #36 on: July 18, 2013, 04:37:11 AM »
This is going to sound churlish...

Well, it is churlish. But, compared to free? We'll see how I go with the Amazon system, but what they're competing with in terms of delivery is whatever doesn't cost as much as they make me pay--and not just in terms of money. Sticking with one book seller, like the Kindle will supposedly make me do, is a cost. Credit card security questions are a cost. Not being able to transfer to my phone is a cost. Opportunity is a cost--is the Amazon system sufficient? If I stick with them, do I lose out on other kinds of books? I don't know yet. Will I have to deal with ads?

I think I recall reading somewhere that online content market experience is showing that lots of people are fine with shopping in a market like Amazon (or Netflix or whatever). They like ads too. They like that everything's all set up for them and they're willing to pay what to them is a small cost. The success of paid music streaming and buying seems to bear this out. Is downloading more like breakage and wasteage than lost earnings?

The Chinese system is interesting. They have websites with original content. The authors crank out chapters per week which people download for tiny sums. It's a brutal system for the authors, apparently. But if you get famous you can make money until you burn out. The thing is, apparently people do pay. I actually don't know if those get pirated as well.

mlaeux

• How's the water?
    • Fukushima has changed everything.
« Reply #37 on: July 18, 2013, 04:59:21 AM »
I have a nook. They offer free books weekly on the BN blog and other sources around the net.

« Reply #38 on: July 18, 2013, 10:09:58 AM »
Most of the books I have read recently on my kindle have been free books I have downloaded from Amazon itself.
Sometimes it seems things go by too quickly. We are so busy watching out for what's just ahead of us that we don't take the time to enjoy where we are. (Calvin and Hobbs)

« Reply #39 on: July 18, 2013, 01:11:53 PM »
If you want to read classics and such, project Gutenberg is a good place for all e-books published before 1923 and thus they have become public domain.
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

« Reply #40 on: July 18, 2013, 08:56:24 PM »
Kindle Paperwhite - Day 1

Wow, that's one crude-ass device, and a lot of money to learn I like my phone better. Here's hoping it grows on me. My phone did, so maybe this slow, clunky, seizure-inducing piece of branded plastic will too. I know the damn thing is deliberately lo-fi, but jeez.

Meanwhile, Kindle store doesn't work. And I still haven't read anything yet. I'll know more tomorrow.

« Reply #41 on: July 18, 2013, 10:25:06 PM »
What is wrong with it? When mine arrived, all I had to do was plug in the charger to give it some juice, then go into 'settings" and deactivate it from being linked to China Amazon, type in e-mail address and password for English/American Amazoon, have it appear on my Amazon account, add everything from the cloud and presto, reading in a jiffy.  agagagagag

« Reply #42 on: July 18, 2013, 10:42:20 PM »
Probably my internet is being crappy. I'm sitting right next to the wifi router but the Kindle Store is slooooo--

Whoops, it loaded. I shall browse.

« Reply #43 on: July 19, 2013, 03:14:02 PM »
Kindle Paperweight - Day 2

You know what blows? The Kindle blows. An ebook isn't a book, it's the content of a book, and  I'm pretty sure the Kindle is some kind of engineering in-joke. My phone does a better job of handling the content of a book than the Kindle does. It's faster, more capable, better equipped for note-taking, dictionary look-up, and goddamned internet connection. It's hugely more capable at handling pdfs.

My phone doesn't buy books or work outside. Using the settings I've found best, it displays one less sentence per page than my new paperweight. It doesn't provoke epilepsy, but it does display relative page numbers.

My career as a technology tipster is over. I bought a Kindle.

« Reply #44 on: July 19, 2013, 04:26:14 PM »
Well, a Kindle is not supposed to handle PDF's, it is supposed to handle books in mobi format. I can't help but wonder at the product you have bought. I have two Kindles, one with a keyboard and one Paperwhite. The first I use for work, the second for leisure reading. Neither of them has been slow, caused sezizures, the internet is normal speed and they have never cut off any sentences. Are you sure that the product you have is not flawed or even broken? Did you buy this directly from Amazon or from another seller? If from another seller and this being China, is there any chance that the machine you are upset with looks like a Kindle, feels like a Kindle but is not a Kindle?