Fastest Internet connection

• 6 replies
Fastest Internet connection
« on: March 03, 2012, 04:49:09 AM »
Whats the fastest internet connection that anyone has?

My friend just got 20mb connection in his apartment for 209rmb a month with China Telecom.  Someone said the 35mb connection from China Unicom is better though.  I want to change but not sure what to get.  At the moment I have a 4mb connection.

Re: Fastest Internet connection
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2012, 05:06:28 AM »
Depends what you want it for (gaming etc or just research, news, bla bla bla). I have China Telecom (no idea of the speed though!!) and happy with it- never gone down once in the 6 months I've had it (whereas in colleges the internet was always going down!). Paid 1860rmb for a year, upfront. CT's number in China if you're interested is 10000. English speaking staff too  bfbfbfbfbf.
10 easy steps to stop procrastination.

Monkey King

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2012, 12:55:30 PM »
I recently got 4mb up from 2mb.  Torrents / downloads are definitely faster, but general internet usage doesn't seem to have changed - I am pretty sure whatever nefarious stranglehold the GFW has over our connection to the non-China net is pretty much unaffected by your local connection speed.

xwarrior

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2012, 03:29:34 PM »
I recently got 4mb up from 2mb.  Torrents / downloads are definitely faster, but general internet usage doesn't seem to have changed - I am pretty sure whatever nefarious stranglehold the GFW has over our connection to the non-China net is pretty much unaffected by your local connection speed.

My internet connection is on a university system through China Unicom.

AVG has a free speed test option and it shows:

1. to a site on the mainland (Xiamen)
   DOWNLOAD - 13.53 mb/s
   UPLOAD       - 13.01 8mb/s

2. to a site off-shore (Tokyo)
   DOWNLOAD -  1.35 mb/s
   UPLOAD      - 14.32 mb/s

I think the results are trying to tell me something about the internet system in China!

I have my standards. They may be low, but I have them.
- Bette Midler

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2012, 05:46:18 PM »
I have a 4M connection from the cable company. It is pretty fast, I can get about 430 kB/s on downloads and internet games aren't laggy.

We sometimes get fliers on our door for companies offering faster services but we've been using GeHua cable for about 4 years now and while their customer service sucks the connection has always been pretty steady.

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2012, 07:01:54 PM »
I'm in Changsha and fibre 光线 guāngxiàn is fast, it's about ¥3500 a year for 4 Mb/s but goes up to 6 or 8 Mb/s. I use China Telecom and that price includes installation. They had to wire up the whole area here for me. A friend in Lijiang uses China Mobile finer and says that's great. It is much faster practically than cable.

Nolefan

• Lord of Avalon
  • 八九不离十
    • Catania Vibe
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2012, 09:15:48 PM »
I had Unicom for years and the connection was always steady solid. Now that I'm downtown Beijing, I've discovered the evils of Gehua Cable.. it's pure utter crap and unreliable! The connection just decides to die at random hours of the day.  asasasasas asasasasas
I'm going back to China Unicom next week for their 4MB!

Higher speeds don't really help your browsing speed as far as international sites go: The bottleneck is at the GFW level and nothing can help you there. Downloads will improve slightly but again, mostly within China.
alors régressons fatalement, eternellement. Des débutants, avec la peur comme exutoire à l'ignorance et Alzheimer en prof d'histoire de nos enfances!
- Random food, music and geek tales from the Catania, Sicily: http://ctvibe.com