Got China visa in HK

• 12 replies

ting

Got China visa in HK
« on: November 19, 2011, 02:55:00 AM »
I had some Qs regarding online statement by China authorities that if no HK ID in hand then not possible to get visa in HK, must return to home country to get visa. I am only on a 90 day 'visitor permit' in HK and carry USA passport but wanted to get new China visa, old one expired July.  Have had many china visas before and did not want to return or send my psprt back to usa. So i went to China visa service in WanChai and spent a few hours. Finally my turn at the window and the clerk made a few notes and approved the application for 6 mos, multiple entries.  This was good. She did not notice/care that i could not enter china till 1 Dec thereby i lost nearly a month of visa time. Also can advise that current online visa form in outdated and useless. New form, up to 6 pages with supplement, is needed: no exceptions. Also must provide a name/number for every item, both in China and items relating to back home (name of relative, etc).  Something to fill the blank is enough. Cost of all China visas for Americans is HK$ 1100, about US$130.00.  So it seems that if passing through HK on visitor permit can get China visa with no problem despite 'official' contrary advice. To reiterate however, i did show many past China visas in my passport so your mileage may vary. I will enjoy the opportunity to once again zip across the border to enjoy the pleasure domes of DongGuan, the spicy Hunan food and manicured golf of Mission Hills.

xwarrior

Re: Got China visa in HK
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2011, 11:29:17 AM »
My understanding is that:

1. during Universiade (international sports competition for university students) visas from Hong Kong were restricted

2. from 1 September 2011 issuance of visas in Hong Kong returned to the normal rules
I have my standards. They may be low, but I have them.
- Bette Midler

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2011, 05:34:21 PM »
I have had a few friends go to HK for visas in the last couple of months, both English and American. They had no problems.
One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching.

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
  • "Be specific if you order the mushrooms!"
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2011, 01:15:34 AM »
Ting and SilverMay, were these Z visas? mmmmmmmmmm
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

"Here in China we aren't just teaching...
we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)

BrandeX

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2011, 01:28:22 AM »
Hmm, probably can't be. Z-visas are 0 entry, not multiple.

SpV

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2011, 09:29:37 PM »

I can answer on SilverMay's behalf, as I know the same people, yes, Z-Visa's.

They came to China on L-Visa's and found work here, the school then sent them both to HK to get a Z-visa. Although it was just a one month single entry visa. The school is currently applying for the RP atm.

Another friend I have made over here has been working here for 9 months on an F visa, having just got a new job at a 'legit' school now needs to do thing by the book. He is leaving for HK today to get the Z visa tomorrow. I'll post up his results when he get's back.

xwarrior

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2011, 12:32:54 AM »
I have my standards. They may be low, but I have them.
- Bette Midler

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2011, 11:31:06 PM »

I can answer on SilverMay's behalf, as I know the same people, yes, Z-Visa's.

They came to China on L-Visa's and found work here, the school then sent them both to HK to get a Z-visa. Although it was just a one month single entry visa. The school is currently applying for the RP atm.

Another friend I have made over here has been working here for 9 months on an F visa, having just got a new job at a 'legit' school now needs to do thing by the book. He is leaving for HK today to get the Z visa tomorrow. I'll post up his results when he get's back.

Thanks  bjbjbjbjbj

Yes I was talking about Z Visas, I'm not sure what Visa ting is talking about.  mmmmmmmmmm Sounds like visitor?

« Last Edit: November 23, 2011, 11:36:28 PM by SilverMay »
One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching.

SpV

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2011, 08:19:22 PM »
So my friend just returned from HK with an 'L' visa and is still unable to start work.

However, they DO issue 'Z' visas in HK but the medical check needs to be done beforehand, he went thinking he could get the Z, return to China and have the medical done then. Sucks for him as he has to return to HK again in a few weeks and still can't start work.  ananananan

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2011, 02:26:38 AM »
Dude didn't really think that one through eh?

SpV

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2011, 03:39:26 AM »
Dude didn't really think that one through eh?

He just did what the school told him.

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2011, 04:12:14 AM »
Shame the school steered him wrong. A lot of FAOs have difficulty keeping track of changes in their own provinces much less other … ahem, ahem ….. districts of China.

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
  • "Be specific if you order the mushrooms!"
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2011, 09:02:16 PM »
Yeah. I think "FAO" is actually a Chinese acronym for "Owner's Addled Nephew (or Niece)"... bibibibibi
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

"Here in China we aren't just teaching...
we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)