• Home
  • Search
    •  
  • Login
    • Username: Password:

Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Can you qualify for Permanent Residence?  (Read 5040 times)

English Gent

• Barfly
Re: Can you qualify for Permanent Residence?
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2013, 09:37:17 AM »
hi EL, useful, thanks.
ive been married nearly 3 years, but in the uk (with chinese wife). do they mean married AND been in china 5 years, or just married 5 years? we also have property in her (our) name so im hoping ill go for PR as soon as 2014 or 2015, despite being here only months, currently. who knows, by 2014 the government might say 'all family RP's now allow work'!

opiate

• Barfly
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2013, 10:21:29 AM »

Naturally, if anyone here takes the plunge first, I'd appreciate info on how the process went.

We'll be hitting the 5 year mark only a few months before you. Really curious as to how this will play out in different provinces. I'm in Shandong...and I'm trying to keep my expectations low.

Escaped Lunatic

• Global Moderator
  • Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2013, 02:51:40 AM »
EG, It's time in and married.  5 years single - no go.  Married 5 years and in less - no go.  You are allowed to take vacations, but there's a limit on how much time you can be outside of the Middle Kingdom.

Opiate, if you qualify, see if you can get one of the green forms and give it a shot.  If your "normal" res permit is going to expire, get that renewed first, since the greencard application will probably take longer than any typical res permit renewal.  You have nothing to lose (except, perhaps, your sanity ahahahahah).
I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com

BrandeX

• Barfly
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2013, 11:23:01 AM »
I was told you need to own a house (your name on it, not just wife) to qualify.

Escaped Lunatic

• Global Moderator
  • Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2013, 12:46:37 AM »
I was told you need to own a house (your name on it, not just wife) to qualify.

I have a growing suspicion that other than the stated requirements (married 5 years, in country most of those 5 years), there's some sort of point system at work similar to the one that some cities used to allow a hukou to be moved.  The problem is that no one outside the system know what qualifies for how many points.  So, I have no idea which item are HUGE points and which are just helpful add-ons towards the hypothetical minimum score to be accepted.

I'm sure that tax records showing stable employment are worth some points.
Sounds like owning an apartment is worth some too.  Now, how to talk my wife into adding my name to her apartment's deed? mmmmmmmmmm

I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com