Introductions

• 1851 replies
Re: Introductions
« Reply #1650 on: March 23, 2013, 05:01:18 PM »
Hi, I'm a USA American from Texas and been teaching engrish in Guangzhou for eight years. This looks like a good place to talk, possibly troll free from what I've seen. Kudos to the management.

Welcome gzwriter. We have a lot of "old hands" on this board so you'll fit right in I hope.

As for trolls, we keep them on a very short leash. ;)

Guangzhou Writer

• Can use chopsticks
« Reply #1651 on: March 23, 2013, 05:48:37 PM »
Thanks very much, TLD!
« Last Edit: March 03, 2024, 04:47:54 AM by Guangzhou Writer »

« Reply #1652 on: March 24, 2013, 12:07:58 AM »
Welcome gzwriter!  I'm guessing you write, for fun or for profit, based on your handle.  What kinda stuff do you write?

oops!  didn't see that there is an actual thread on this topic: http://raoulschinasaloon.com/index.php?topic=8140.0
« Last Edit: March 24, 2013, 12:14:14 AM by roadwalker »

Guangzhou Writer

• Can use chopsticks
« Reply #1653 on: March 24, 2013, 04:34:50 AM »
I like writing in my journal or ranting on discussion forums, but have never published anything.

« Reply #1654 on: March 24, 2013, 11:53:26 AM »
Welcome gzwriter! agagagagag Since you have been in China for a while, may I ask if you speak Chinese, are you married or do you have a girlfriend? I think that there is a thread here about cycling. I look forward to hearing about your experiences in China and would love to see any photos of China or of your home in Texas. If you read back in this thread, you will see that I am an Australian living in Brisbane and with no experience in China. It is nice to meet you. agagagagag

CaseyOrourke

• USAF TACP
    • Yankee Texan In China
« Reply #1655 on: March 24, 2013, 01:01:47 PM »
Hi, I'm a USA American from Texas and been teaching engrish in Guangzhou for eight years. This looks like a good place to talk, possibly troll free from what I've seen. Kudos to the management.

Greetings gzwriter from a fellow Texan (actually born in Illinois). Whereabouts you from? I lived a number of years in the Kerrville (Texas Hill Country).  Mrs. Casey came from NE China, but liked Texas so much she became a US citizen and an official Texichin.  Now she misses Texas and is constantly bugging me to go back.

« Reply #1656 on: March 24, 2013, 05:34:53 PM »
I like writing in my journal or ranting on discussion forums, but have never published anything.

Truth be told, I don't walk professionally.  kkkkkkkkkk 

For me too, online forums, journal/blog entries and long emails are the extent of my writing.  In my case, no discipline for publish-worthy stuff.

Guangzhou Writer

• Can use chopsticks
« Reply #1657 on: March 24, 2013, 05:49:14 PM »
@ Granny: Besides a few necessary phrases for finding a toilet and directing taxi drivers, I don't speak Chinese. Been able to get by without it, lots of my students are willing to help me do things when I need an interpreter, which is a very cool thing about China. However, I found that communication barriers are much more based on culture and attitude than language.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2024, 04:39:08 AM by Guangzhou Writer »

« Reply #1658 on: March 24, 2013, 10:04:49 PM »

@ roadwalker: If it weren't for unending computer and internet problems since the day I got here, I would probably have a blog. I write a couple of articles every year that I email to my friends, they're about stuff that happens in China. I'll post one of them up here about being a "rent-a-foreigner". Ever done that? Funny stuff.

No, can't say I have, but I've met guys who were asked to refer to themselves as foreign business partners, etc. for investor parties, etc.  I run away from anything like that before it gets too interesting.  Back in the States, I did help out a drug dealer (Big Pharma Rep) hosting an Oscars party at a nice restaurant by pretending to be a doctor when not enough real docs could be found for the affair.  Free food and booze. agagagagag(Maybe I should change my handle to streetwalker.)

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
« Reply #1659 on: March 25, 2013, 04:31:35 AM »
I thought we were all rent-a-foreigners

« Reply #1660 on: March 25, 2013, 11:40:24 AM »

I'm single now. Have had two Chinese girlfriends here, but not a serial dater, so being single for a few years is okay.

You sound like a very wise man! bfbfbfbfbf  Yesterday,I was watching an Asian lady "working" a young/middle aged  Anglo male. Chin in hands and gazing intently into his eyes and dazzling him with her smile, when he took his eyes off the front of her low cut dress. I took a good look at the male and knew straight away that she wanted something from him. I really wanted to get up and belt him under the ear and tell him to wake up to himself. My observations were that their story probably wouldn't have a happy ending and would probably have a financial and emotional cost to others as well. My job was to know people, especially those who try to screw the system and I learned a lot by observing people, which I still do. Being single for a few years sounds ok to me, especially if you spend that time learning and not rushing into anything. bfbfbfbfbf  As you can probably tell by my name and my comments, I am an older lady, so I hope you don't mind my advice.

Guangzhou Writer

• Can use chopsticks
« Reply #1661 on: March 26, 2013, 06:34:50 AM »
It's cool to hear your stories, Granny. I love people watching, too. The trick would be to come up with something plausible you could say in such a situation that would go along with your position and yet induce some awareness.

Or just enjoy the show since people do what they want anyway. Especially mens.  akakakakak

I got the typical student question today, "Teacher, I want to improve my English. What should I do?"

Of course pretty much all FT's constantly answer this question directly or indirectly during class, but the students all think we're hiding the secret to learning English in 3 days inbetween stamped pages of our passports.

Anyway, the chat came around to her asking, "Which is more important? Speaking, listening, reading, or writing?"

"Listening. Listening is always the most important thing."

And it's the thing that young men with testosterone don't do very well.  bibibibibi  Especially when looking at low cut dresses. I'm sure God intended it this way: sometimes men have the power, and sometimes women lean forward and take it away.

« Reply #1662 on: March 26, 2013, 11:16:08 AM »
"Listening. Listening is always the most important thing."

And it's the thing that young men with testosterone don't do very well.  bibibibibi  Especially when looking at low cut dresses. I'm sure God intended it this way: sometimes men have the power, and sometimes women lean forward and take it away.

gzwriter, the guy indeed was doing most of the talking, while she gazed at him in adoration. bibibibibi  I believe that evolution has made it that way since man was physically stronger and was the hunter. My observations now are that women appear to be taking over through ploys such as manipulation whilst letting the guy still think that he is the dominant male. I really hate deception and manipulation and don't I get into trouble when I call a spade a spade. I grew up with six brothers and their friends by the way, so the main influence in my life was from a male perspective.
Look forward to hearing your stories of life in China! bfbfbfbfbf

« Reply #1663 on: March 31, 2013, 09:59:32 PM »
Hi everybody, I figured I have lurked long enough so it is time to say hi. A quick bit about me 37, living in Phoenix arizona usa, ive worked in Tv production 20 years. A friend went to Japan to teach and another friend mentioned doing the same in China. So I'm researching the idea. I want to say thanks to everyone. It seems every question I come up with is answered in many posts with lots of great advice.
Ya'll take care now  bfbfbfbfbf

AMonk

« Reply #1664 on: April 01, 2013, 01:48:46 AM »
Hello, LordImmp.  Welcome to the Saloon agagagagag
Moderation....in most things...