Introductions

• 1851 replies

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
  • "Be specific if you order the mushrooms!"
Re: Introductions
« Reply #1605 on: October 23, 2012, 04:10:35 PM »
Welcome to the Saloon, Caley! agagagagag
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

"Here in China we aren't just teaching...
we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)

« Reply #1606 on: January 16, 2013, 07:01:34 PM »
Hi all.

I just joined up, and I'm an alco ESL teacher.

I've only been doing it for the last 3 years, all of it here in China.

I'm CELTA trained, and have a M.App.Ling., and about to enrol into a M.Ed.(TESOL), to then go onto Ed.D. - all through Australian universities (cos, you know, I'm an Aussie :D)

I don't post a hell of a lot, and my usual MO has been to get on a board, post frantically, and then disappear after a few weeks :p

Although 40(-ish), I'm still single, which makes things really easy when it comes to deciding where to live and all.

I've been "between jobs" for the last few months (cos I'm picky!!!), but it's not surprising when I get agents saying "we've got this really high paying job for you - 6000-7000RMB"... yeah, if I wanted that, I'd move to Xinjiang or Jiangxi again!!! I only teach uni-level students, usually EAP, business or IT.. and unfortunately, usually to the students who have failed, sucked at, the GaoKao :( However, I'm expecting to get a contract for a UK/US/Chinese joint venture :) (and, to become an IELTS examiner as well...)

Nice to meet you. (yes, I'm fine thank you, and you?)

SH

« Reply #1607 on: January 16, 2013, 07:45:13 PM »
You weren't into Jiangxi? I had a great time there.

Welcome.

« Reply #1608 on: January 16, 2013, 08:59:31 PM »
Welcome! Hope you stick around the Saloon, it is a great place!

AMonk

« Reply #1609 on: January 17, 2013, 12:11:07 AM »
Good to have you on board. agagagagag
Moderation....in most things...

yli

« Reply #1610 on: January 17, 2013, 01:38:04 AM »
... yeah, if I wanted that, I'd move to Xinjiang or Jiangxi again!!!

I want to move to Xinjiang eventually. Is there anything I should know about Xinjiang?

solongtinik

• tryin to complete my life's journey
« Reply #1611 on: January 17, 2013, 05:11:13 AM »
welcome agagagagag agagagagag
if he does not struggle against what is wrong-even if it seems beyond his strength-he will bever find the right road

« Reply #1612 on: January 17, 2013, 11:37:41 AM »
G'day and welcome to the Saloon Sainthood! agagagagag  I'm an Aussie living in Brisbane and unfortunately I did not get to teach or live in China. I was just made welcome by Raoul and other saloonies and so I just rabbit on. Fortunately there are very knowledgeable and kind people here who will go out of their way to help you. bfbfbfbfbf

gonzo

« Reply #1613 on: January 17, 2013, 05:45:23 PM »
Greetings Sainthood. We are following similar academic paths. One of the good things about our nation is, that as long as you're poor, the government will pay for your education. I'm switching from an MA TESOL to an M.App Ling TESOL because the second year topics in the former are pure educational boredom: nothing specifically related to SLA at all.
RIP Phil Stephens.
No static at all.

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #1614 on: January 17, 2013, 09:00:09 PM »
... yeah, if I wanted that, I'd move to Xinjiang or Jiangxi again!!!

I want to move to Xinjiang eventually. Is there anything I should know about Xinjiang?

Lambstick prices are so reasonable there that you don't need a big salary. ahahahahah
I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com

« Reply #1615 on: January 18, 2013, 06:24:06 PM »
@yli - not really... Xinjiang would no doubt be a great place to live (except for the cold, and lack of western-sanity relief occasionally needed). It's just that the salaries are a lot lower. Not a great problem if you've got a lot of spare cash already - but when you're paying off debts back home, it really doesn't help!

@Granny May - cool! I'm a Bris-vegan too! Mostly inner south-east side. I'm in Hangzhou, and there's been a good half-dozen or so of us here! Makes chatting so much easier!

@Gonzo - which uni you going through?? TBH, the TESOL part isn't all that cracked up it's supposed to be - only 2 subjects directly related to it, plus linguistics and SLA (both of which I've done through the Applied Ling.). I'd say the CELTA was a lot more relevant and directed...

And - thanks all! :)  agagagagag

NATO

« Reply #1616 on: January 18, 2013, 06:45:16 PM »
Hi Sainthood, I'm also in Hangzhou. Welcome to Raoul's  agagagagag

yli

« Reply #1617 on: January 18, 2013, 08:10:14 PM »
@yli - not really... Xinjiang would no doubt be a great place to live (except for the cold, and lack of western-sanity relief occasionally needed). It's just that the salaries are a lot lower. Not a great problem if you've got a lot of spare cash already - but when you're paying off debts back home, it really doesn't help!

I don't teach, so if can score a job with Sinopec or something, maybe I could move out there.

« Reply #1618 on: January 19, 2013, 10:51:53 AM »
Nice to welcome another Bris-vegan Sainthood! bfbfbfbfbf I'm from Northgate.

« Reply #1619 on: February 16, 2013, 06:04:21 PM »
Hello, I finally found the introductions thread!  bibibibibi And I've been lurking the Saloon for a while now...

My name is Laurel, I'm from California, and I'm moving to China in a few days to teach English in Dongying, in Shandong province. Probably because I'm crazy, but where's the fun in being sane, right?