Introductions

• 1851 replies
Re: Introductions
« Reply #1275 on: March 09, 2011, 01:42:03 PM »
Hello all. Subtitle's the name. Been teaching in South Korea, but it looks like I'm making the jump to Beijing sometime soon.
BA in English, Masters of Education, and can't get employed in the states because of their byzantine system of 51 different licensing systems. Tip for the future, if any of you get your teaching license in the future: Temporary certification is a red herring. You can't work in a public school with it. So unless you want to teach rich kids in a Christian academy you're out of luck.
Anyway, cheers, nice to meet you and all of that. This looks like a really good community, especially with what I'm used to here in Korea.

« Reply #1276 on: March 09, 2011, 04:27:11 PM »
Welcome Subtitle!

AMonk

« Reply #1277 on: March 10, 2011, 12:02:24 AM »
Hello, Subtitle agagagagag
Moderation....in most things...

Introduction
« Reply #1278 on: March 10, 2011, 01:15:01 AM »
I posted a lot a while back without ever introducing myself, which was a faux pas. I entered the forum without really understanding the true tenor of it, and launched into various debates and so on, only being used to much more contentious and altogether ruthless forums (ex., ajarn.com). Only after I stopped posting for a couple months, and just read others posts did I get a better feel of what the forum was like without me in it. Now I can see how strange it must have seemed for a newcomer to barge into the saloon and start holding forth, debating all comers, and interjecting myself in all conversations without any introduction. Recently, I've started throwing my 2 cents in again, and so it's long overdo that I actually say a thing or two about myself by way of introduction.

I'm always just a bit concerned about being recognized by authorities who might be interested, and thus am careful not to reveal my true identity. I want to be able to ask pointed questions about school policies, or rail against the leaders where I work, without them reading it. That's part of why I didn't introduce myself before. Some people thought I might have been a troll. Once a friend of mine, after imbibing pcylocibin boldly declared that he saw my true character, and I WAS a troll. I didn't have the heart to tell him he was, in my enhanced eyes, an old drag queen. But I assure you, as I assured my old friend, I am not a troll, though I can only hope I've overcome my inclination to trade blows with trolls. I actually hate bullies. Nevertheless I probably offended some by being overly argumentative…

Anyhoo. I've been in China around 4 years, though left for the better part of a year after being fired from one of the most vile training centers (basically for opposing corruption and exploitation, vocally). I started off with a training school, and now I work for a public university, which is a million times better, though there are still some similarities.

I'm fully aware that my current job is a dead end. I think of teaching overseas as something like swimming. As soon as you stop you sink. I dig teaching, really like my students, and daily learn new things about sociology and people in general through my interactions with them.

I have no idea what the future holds, but am basically planning to live in China or Asia for years to come, otherwise I wouldn't be working as consistently as I am at learning Chinese. My skills are passable, but not much more. The learning curve is extremely steep.

My background is arts, and I hope to exercise my creativity with the relative freedom, as well as inspiration, I find living overseas.

What else. I've traveled in 6 countries in Asia, and have lived in two other Asian countries besides China. I'm probably not a noobie anymore.

Now it's off to my night class.
suddenly it become more of a statement to NOT have a tattoo…

« Reply #1279 on: March 10, 2011, 11:21:58 AM »
G'day and welcome subtitle. agagagagag I look forward to hearing more about you and how things turn out whilst you are in China.

Ben-Dan, nice to hear a little more about you without meaning to sound like a nosey old granny. agagagagag I'm lucky that I don't have to worry about anyone recognizing me here in the "Land Down Under". I can quite safely rabbit on without any worries. bfbfbfbfbf
« Last Edit: March 11, 2011, 12:24:40 AM by AMonk »

AMonk

« Reply #1280 on: March 10, 2011, 11:52:29 PM »
Ben-Dan agagagagag  Glad to see you.
Moderation....in most things...

azdave

« Reply #1281 on: March 11, 2011, 10:31:54 AM »
Hello all! I recently noticed this thread and thought I should introduce myself since I plan on heading over to China soon.

I’m married with kids and we have lived abroad more than once, so that part won’t be new. Mandarin will be, and my brain isn’t getting any younger! I hope to find a UNI job as my goal is to work as little as possible after obtaining a Z visa. Not that I’m lazy (it’s old age, I swear!), I just want to devote a lot of my time to learning Mandarin. I know I won’t be able to put in 40 hour teaching weeks and have productive language study.

I’ve worked in countries where I didn’t know the local language very well and I’m not looking to repeat that process. I have several frustrating memories of speaking French all day at work in Senegal, only to return to my apartment and not be able to speak with folks in the neighborhood (Wolof) bibibibibi. Both French and Wolof are easier languages for an English speaker, so I know I have my work cut out for me.

Right now I’m leaning toward Xi’an, based on what I have read and researched. My wife and kids will need to have some expat options available to them on a regular basis. I plan on traveling over and taking a short language course in the next month or two. I’m hoping to line up a job for next fall during this trip.

I appreciate Raoul’s China Saloon! I have learned a lot in the few weeks I have been here. Thanks to all who have shared and are sharing your wisdom. agagagagag

« Reply #1282 on: March 11, 2011, 11:02:05 AM »
G'day azdave. Nice to hear about you. agagagagag How old are the kids? My son is 42 aoaoaoaoao

azdave

« Reply #1283 on: March 11, 2011, 01:38:10 PM »
My son is 14 and my daughter is 9. Previously they have attended Senegalese private school (French). Currently they're in public school here in the US, and next year we'll home-school.

« Reply #1284 on: March 11, 2011, 07:15:19 PM »
Hello and welcome, azdave agagagagag agagagagag A uni job should not be hard to find, however, you might end up working more than you think. True, most unis offer a 16 hour work week and a salary of 5000 yuan which means, I fear, that you might find yourself in need of getting some private tutorial gigs on the side. Hope you and your family gets here safely...oh, and as for Mandarin, can just make a plug for the program Skritter..no, I do not get a commission but it has really done wonders for my learning curve.  agagagagag agagagagag agagagagag
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

"It's all oojah cum spiffy". Bertie Wooster.
"The stars are God's daisy chain" Madeleine Bassett.

« Reply #1285 on: March 12, 2011, 10:57:01 AM »
Azdave, I think it is great that your young children have the opportunity to learn different languages.  bfbfbfbfbf

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
  • "Be specific if you order the mushrooms!"
« Reply #1286 on: March 13, 2011, 09:39:19 PM »
Cead mile failte ("a thousand welcomes"), azdave...and all the other new kids in our steadily rising membership! agagagagag
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

"Here in China we aren't just teaching...
we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)

xwarrior

« Reply #1287 on: March 14, 2011, 03:35:41 AM »
Ben-Dan   Glad to see you.

Welcome to call in any time you are in Baoji   agagagagag 
I have my standards. They may be low, but I have them.
- Bette Midler

« Reply #1288 on: March 14, 2011, 04:38:40 AM »
Ben-Dan   Glad to see you.

Welcome to call in any time you are in Baoji   agagagagag 

Thanks! I'm meaning to go there sooner or later. They'll probably build another expressway, as there's a never ending need for cement, purchasing or producing it. Some of my students are from there as well.

suddenly it become more of a statement to NOT have a tattoo…

« Reply #1289 on: March 14, 2011, 05:30:24 AM »
Nice use of the psychic reset button, Dan!  bfbfbfbfbf

Wow, we're adding cyber-bodies faster than I'm adding fat cells!  Welcome aboard, new peeps.
And there is no liar like the indignant man... -Nietszche

Nothing is so fatiguing as the eternal hanging on of an uncompleted task. -William James

englishmoose.com