Introductions

• 1851 replies
Re: Introductions
« Reply #1260 on: January 15, 2011, 12:33:42 PM »
Welcome, CaTigeReptile (can we call you CTR or something shorter to type than your full name? No worries, we're big on nicknames here and sooner or later something will stick - that's how you know you've been accepted  akakakakak ) and welcome, fullricebowl. Always great to have more females at the bar.

Thank you! And of course! Everyone on the interweb calls me CTR! I should probably stop posting in the intro thread now, though!

piglet

• Piglet's House
« Reply #1261 on: January 16, 2011, 10:52:27 PM »
Welcome CTR, great moniker. I favour all posters who have animals in their names  bfbfbfbfbf
For people who like peace and quiet - a phoneless cord

« Reply #1262 on: January 18, 2011, 01:55:37 AM »
Everyone on the interweb calls me CTR! I should probably stop posting in the intro thread now, though!

Good thinking!  bfbfbfbfbf Start your own thread.  Heck, name it after yourself.  Chatterboxes are encouraged (you know, so long as there's some excuse for content).
And there is no liar like the indignant man... -Nietszche

Nothing is so fatiguing as the eternal hanging on of an uncompleted task. -William James

englishmoose.com

« Reply #1263 on: January 27, 2011, 10:42:07 AM »
hello everybody.  my name is Brian.  I am a somewhat recent (2009) graduate from the good old University of Texas at Arlington.  I am wanting to move to China to teach English and study Mandarin.

I've been doing a lot of research about different aspects, positives and negatives, etc.  I hope to live in maybe a second or third-tier city, as I'd like to travel around a bit too.

anyway, this site has been a great resource so far and I look forward to finding more out about everything and everyone!

oh yeah, this is my blog about my research so far, feel free to give any input or correct any factual mistakes.  http://nihao-brian.blogspot.com/

bjbjbjbjbj  Brian

« Reply #1264 on: January 27, 2011, 01:23:35 PM »
G'day Brian and welcome. agagagagag  You will find so many folk here who are willing and able to help you.

« Reply #1265 on: January 27, 2011, 05:33:05 PM »
Hi there Inkpen and welcome to the Saloon agagagagag agagagagag Read your blog agagagagag agagagagag Now, you said in it that Nanchang held some fascination for you...having lived in that city for a year, my main question is why??? It's not pretty, it's noisy and...well...I personally think there are way better cities to scope out. What qualities or aspects in a Chinese city are you looking for? Indoor heating, mountains to trek in, lots of ancient Chinese cultural stuff, great music, a complete boon town where learnin Mandarin will be essential for basic survival and cheese will be non-existent....China has it all... agagagagag agagagagag
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

"It's all oojah cum spiffy". Bertie Wooster.
"The stars are God's daisy chain" Madeleine Bassett.

Ruth

« Reply #1266 on: January 27, 2011, 05:44:23 PM »
Welcome to the Saloon, Inkpen. You have indeed joined the best (IMHO) resource for expat living in China. Ask all the questions you like and we'll do our best to help you; meanwhile, you will become a resource for us and others who follow. Aaaaand...we get another member to enrich our community of Saloonies. Welcome to the tribe.  agagagagag
If you want to walk on water, you have to get out of the boat.

« Reply #1267 on: January 27, 2011, 08:50:46 PM »
Welcome inkpen. The only thing (other than Stil) you need to worry about is picking up the bar tab. If you notice, half our smilys are booze related. I'm not saying we're a bunch of alcoholic degenerates,   jjjjjjjjjj oh wait, yes I am   yyyyyyyyyy 
For you to insult me, first I must value your opinion

piglet

• Piglet's House
« Reply #1268 on: January 28, 2011, 10:13:55 PM »
Welcome Inkpen. great bunch of loonies individuals here with an awesome collective knowledge of China. Enjoy
For people who like peace and quiet - a phoneless cord

« Reply #1269 on: January 31, 2011, 07:06:53 AM »
hmmm...I was thinking Nanchang because it was relatively small and I could immerse myself talking to locals and practice Mandarin, but the more I read I see that Nanchang people might speak Gan.  so...I was thinking Chongqing now, a bit bigger but that would allow for more travel opportunities.  however I see another dialect is spoken there.

anybody from Chongqing that could tell me whether or not it would be a good place to study Mandarin informally/conversationally with locals instead of taking classes?  anybody have any teaching experience there??

basically I am looking for is a decent climate and people that speak somewhat standard Mandarin so I can practice and learn.

but the suspense is killing me; I can't wait to finally arrive in Zhongguo!!

« Reply #1270 on: January 31, 2011, 07:32:26 AM »
Chongqing isn't just a bit bigger, it is huge, really really huge. They speak Sichuanese there but practically everyone in China speaks some dialect or another. If you're really worried about standard Mandarin the only real place to be is the Northeast. That said, I spent my first 5 years in Kunming where everyone speaks dialect and while I picked up a slight Kunming accent it didn't really make a huge difference in the grand scheme of things.

The thing about places where dialect is spoken is that usually people will speak to you in Mandarin and to each other in the local dialect. The Mandarin they use when they speak to you will be accented, but it should be understandable unless you're in the countryside where people might speak no Mandarin at all. 

« Reply #1271 on: January 31, 2011, 09:29:35 AM »
The Northeast is the place to be if your focus is on picking up your mandarin and practicing it with locals and just in normal everyday life in its purese form.
Sometimes it seems things go by too quickly. We are so busy watching out for what's just ahead of us that we don't take the time to enjoy where we are. (Calvin and Hobbs)

« Reply #1272 on: January 31, 2011, 07:32:12 PM »
Well, Inkpen, also take climate into consideration. Chongqing is one of the furnaces, meaning that during the summer time birds are prone to burst into flames if they fly out of the shade agagagagag agagagagag
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

"It's all oojah cum spiffy". Bertie Wooster.
"The stars are God's daisy chain" Madeleine Bassett.

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #1273 on: February 02, 2011, 05:39:43 PM »
Welcome Inkpen. great bunch of loonies individuals here with an awesome collective knowledge of China. Enjoy
Did someone say loonies? ahahahahah

Welcome Inkpen!

Take your pick.  You can be so far out in the boondocks than you'll be the only foreigner in a town of a few hundred thousand (or even a couple million) or you can be in places that have huge expat zones.  You can teach anything from kindergarten up through university, or you can work at a language mill with adults (mostly).

Important things to remember.

1.  Practice eating M&M's with chopsticks for a month before coming over.  Some places won't have forks, plus you'll impress your new friends. bjbjbjbjbj
2.  If someone offers "white wine", tell them you really enjoy it and want to drink a lot of it right now. agagagagag
3.  If you are in the desert, don't step outside without water.  If you are in China, don't leave home without a pack of tissue. bjbjbjbjbj
4.  Wednesday is "Get naked at work day" in all Chinese language studies.  Strip down at the beginning of class and encourage your students to do the same. ababababab
5.  Follow odd advice from Lunatics, but be a little wary of even advice. ahahahahah

I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com

« Reply #1274 on: February 09, 2011, 10:41:31 PM »
Welcome aboard, Inkpen! agagagagag  One other tip: consider what climate you want to live in.  I have vowed never to live anywhere hotter than Suzhou; the sticky summer makes me bitch and moan.  Others, especially Aussies and Afrikaaners, bitch about the damp winter.
And there is no liar like the indignant man... -Nietszche

Nothing is so fatiguing as the eternal hanging on of an uncompleted task. -William James

englishmoose.com