Kindergarten: Salary, Availability

• 4 replies

Ryguy

Kindergarten: Salary, Availability
« on: October 27, 2011, 02:52:13 PM »
Hello. Sorry to ask another question today, but what do you think are the chances of a Chinese woman born in Canada, fluent in English, being able to find a job teaching at a Kindergarten in China? What do you think the salary would be?

Sorry to be asking another question from the saloon. She likes Kindergarten age kids the most.

Borkya

Re: Kindergarten: Salary, Availability
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2011, 12:25:42 AM »
At my school we have a chinese-Canadian who is teaching young children. But I'll be honest, I think he only teaches kindergarten because the college doesn't want him. (Sad to say.) He is totally Canadian and doesn't speak any chinese at all. (In fact, after being here for over a month he still pronounces Hangzhou "Hang-zou")

So that would be one for the 'yes' column. But of course, everyplace is different. I'd say just try it and see!

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2011, 12:49:42 AM »
It isn't that hard to get hired at kindergartens because many (most?) foreign teachers aren't willing to teach small kids. The hours will be long and for a Chinese-looking person the pay might not be particularly high but she should be able to find work. Does she have experience teaching that age group? Experience would be a bonus.

I took a job at an international kindergarten about 6 months ago so that my kids could enjoy free tuition. I'm thinking of going back to my old specialty, high school, because I think it is more up my alley (and the tuition isn't an issue anymore) but the school isn't a bad place. It is in Beijing, PM me if she'd like details.

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2011, 11:55:56 PM »
For reasons of limited supply, kindie gigs pay very well.  But here in Suzhou at least, many can't legally hire foreigners.  This might be a local thing, though.

Short answer:  if your friend has someone on the ground to contact kindies, that someone could vet the places.  Your friend should be able to score a great job.
And there is no liar like the indignant man... -Nietszche

Nothing is so fatiguing as the eternal hanging on of an uncompleted task. -William James

englishmoose.com

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2011, 06:02:45 PM »
Hi Con

What about opportunities for a qualified Filipino teacher with "very near native speaker English" (can't think of a better way to put it!) and 18 months experience teaching in international kindergartens in Vietnam? My girlfriend will be coming with me to Ningbo in mid Jan 2011 and will be looking for kindergarten/ pre-school teaching jobs, it's what she loves and is good at, as opposed to just doing it because she can't get a gig teaching adults. I'm assuming Filipinos won't do as well as non-white native speakers, such as Chinese Canadians mentioned in a previous post in this thread, let alone a white native speaker.