How Much Time Do You Have to Get a Residence Permit Once You Enter China?

• 19 replies

xwarrior

Re: How Much Time Do You Have to Get a Residence Permit Once You Enter China?
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2011, 12:34:49 PM »
Getting a residence permit doesn't (as a general rule) require entry on a Z visa.

All the regulations I have seen state  that (as a "general rule") entry has to be on a Zvisa.

I, also, have had 'nth' Residence Permits issued without going through the Zvisa process. Once in the country, a different procedure is in place for 'renewing' a Res Permit.

I, and I would say many others, would be interested in your answer to the question posed by old34.   
I have my standards. They may be low, but I have them.
- Bette Midler

jpd01

« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2011, 03:57:20 PM »
Yes once in the country the renewal process for a residents permit is quite straight forward. As this topic is regarding entry into China and not renewing a resident permit then the Z visa is the best option for entry into China.
As for an L visa, if you can get a job offer with a Z visa entry that is always the best option in every case. Arrive on an L visa if for some reason you have no choice and can't avoid it or if you for some crazy reason seriously trust the school offering you the job.

As for the "general rule" it is to arrive on a Z visa not the other way around. Most of the old timers here have been "grandfathered" into the system, I for one find it extremely easy to renew my residents permit or get one for a new employer but others find it very difficult.
Recently 5 new teachers at 3 different Universities (one nationally ranked and pretty famous in China) were refused residents permits because they had not entered into China on a Z visa. Even going to Hong Kong was not an option and they all had to return to their home countries for processing (as a result some refused and there was a mad scramble to find new teachers)
The regulations have been in place for a few years now but time varies to how long it has taken for most places to actually enforce them.
My city (Chongqing) was famous for ignoring the rules and granting residents permits freely up until last year. Now the rules are strictly enforced which has caused a massive headache for the teachers and schools here who where completely oblivious as to how to get a residents permit through the normal procedures.

Teachers that have been here for a few years and never had a Z visa for entry probably never need to worry about it. As for new teachers it is a concern and quoting the experience of the past is not really helpful to them. As China develops and grows the visa restriction HAVE become more steadily enforced across China and as such a Z visa is highly recommended for all newbies as it's the only way you can assure yourself that you can even get a residents permit. Otherwise you are relying on the word of your employer, who seemingly doesn't have enough clout or can't even be bothered (if he can get one in the first place) to spend enough energy to get you a proper entry visa.
"I don't understand what I did wrong except live a life that everyone is jealous of." Charlie Sheen.

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2011, 07:05:12 PM »
Yep - these things are unpredictable.  I first arrived on an L that was converted to a res permit.  In some places it is possible to do that either with or without a run to HK.  Just because it worked last week doesn't mean it will work next week.  The enforcement level regarding policies is . . . ever so slightly variable in time and space throughout China.

Thus, unless you are willing to risk the possible need for a round trip to your home country (possibly at your own expense), I think that entering on a Z is the wisest choice.

I saw the oddest thing a few months ago.  I met a foreigner (not an English teacher) who had a residence permit card with an expiry date a couple of years out.  He still had to maintain a "normal" one in his passport, so I'm not sure what the card was for.

I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com

xwarrior

« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2011, 09:35:23 PM »
I think that entering on a Z is the wisest choice.

I think most of us are agreed on that - but, I would still like to find out what Paul has to say in response to the question posed by old34
I have my standards. They may be low, but I have them.
- Bette Midler

Paul

« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2011, 11:51:34 PM »
I've never had a Z visa.  I'm on my nth residence permit now. 

Is yours the residence permit that is pasted in your passport and looks somewhat like a visa?

Or is it the one on a looseleaf folded sheet of paper (usually green).

Or is it the one that's a slip of yellow or white paper given by your local police station in the neighborhood where your apartment is?

The first.  I've never seen or heard of any other.  They are RPs/work visas, allowing multiple entries.  They were issued in Beijing, Xiamen, Shenzhen and Shanghai.